Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wow, the gaming media really ignores the little guy...

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"That's depressing. I mean, it's common sense that the gaming media would have more interest in "AAA" games, but actively ignoring and disrespecting developers? Not just indie developers, but indies that have had some decent success before? Ugh."

You have to *earn* respect. The media owes them shit. Obvious, the media's audience doesn't give a shit aboutm Larian.

P.S. DD sucked so bad that DD2 can die in a shitburger.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
made said:
Codex isn't any different. Just look at the number of NV threads we get compared to low profile games like Div2.
It's probably because we usually don't make tens of threads bashing games that we like.

DraQ

Arcane
Raapys said:
DalekFlay said:
The term level-scaling is typically used for when a game picks what monsters you fight and what level they are based on your level.
Typically. And there are different types of level-scaling, and I specifically said which type this game has. So...?
At least have decency to call it an inverse level scaling or something u fagget.

Ancient

Erudite
NV is much better than divinity 2

Divinity's art design makes me cry i hate this overfantasy art design it look's ridiculous

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Volourn said:
"That's depressing. I mean, it's common sense that the gaming media would have more interest in "AAA" games, but actively ignoring and disrespecting developers? Not just indie developers, but indies that have had some decent success before? Ugh."

You have to *earn* respect. The media owes them shit. Obvious, the media's audience doesn't give a shit aboutm Larian.

IIRC DD got very good reviews and was compared to Ultima VII. I was very disappointed with it. Anyway, since DD got good reviews, I'd say that he deserved their respect.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Volourn said:
You have to *earn* respect. The media owes them shit.
Course they don't. After all, Larian haven't thrown lavish parties at expensive hotels. Shame on them, they deserve to be ignored by reviewers for this slight to their honor.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"IIRC DD got very good reviews and was compared to Ultima VII. I was very disappointed with it. Anyway, since DD got good reviews, I'd say that he deserved their respect."

Not good enough, apparantly. The TW developers (a game I loathe) obviously did better in earning respect. Then again, they leeched off of BIO's popularity to get shit started.

"Course they don't. After all, Larian haven't thrown lavish parties at expensive hotels. Shame on them, they deserve to be ignored by reviewers for this slight to their honor."

Can't hack the game, get the fuck out of it, and stop the butthurt.

All companies have to deal with this. Stop crying, and keep working and maybe you'll start getting the respect when you earn it not when you demand it.

Pablosdog

Prophet
Volourn said:
"IIRC DD got very good reviews and was compared to Ultima VII. I was very disappointed with it. Anyway, since DD got good reviews, I'd say that he deserved their respect."

Not good enough, apparantly. The TW developers (a game I loathe) obviously did better in earning respect. Then again, they leeched off of BIO's popularity to get shit started.

"Course they don't. After all, Larian haven't thrown lavish parties at expensive hotels. Shame on them, they deserve to be ignored by reviewers for this slight to their honor."

Can't hack the game, get the fuck out of it, and stop the butthurt.

All companies have to deal with this. Stop crying, and keep working and maybe you'll start getting the respect when you earn it not when you demand it.

How about the fact that the most well covered games are the one that are the most mass marketed...that's a pretty big coincidence isn't it? No matter how decent an indie game is, it will NEVER get the amount of attention the big name games get. That's a fact, if you think otherwise than there is really no hope for you.

Zomg said:
Overweight Manatee said:
TL;DR the job of the media isn't to show off games, it's to sell advertising.

It's actually to be advertising.

No, they couldn't give a fuck about the games themselves (other then the bare minimum not to lose viewers). What they care about is covering big name games that draw viewers so they can sell advertisements to other shit. That they are advertising games is true, but it is born out of mutual cohesion between the media and the production industries. The primary goal of any media isn't to advertise, its to make money from those who do want to advertise.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Nothing. I'll move the fuck on. I did the same thing with Sonic RPG. It didn't look like it be good so i didn't fuckin' buy it. OMFG OMFG OMFG OMFG OMFG Consumer choice! OMFG OMFG OMFG

Fuck loyalty. No such thing when it comes to consumers since consumers are the most evil, selfish,k egotstiical pieces of shit ever!

Ooooo yeahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!! :x

Texas Red

Whiner
If a Codexer walked in to a store, should he get River of Time or Divinity 2?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
What disappointed people about DD (1)?

It WAS much like a diablo ultima7. I mean, story is obviously bunk, but it had a lot of quests & things to do. No schedules though.

Ruprekt

Scholar
Texas Red said:

D2 has a very good localisation, RoT doesn't (tho not in Arcania league of fucking awful). Other than that they're totally different kinds of game.

Texas Red

Whiner
Ruprekt said:
Texas Red said:

D2 has a very good localisation, RoT doesn't (tho not in Arcania league of fucking awful). Other than that they're totally different kinds of game.

My mom only gave me money for one game.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
SCO said:
What disappointed people about DD (1)?

It WAS much like a diablo ultima7. I mean, story is obviously bunk, but it had a lot of quests & things to do. No schedules though.
The first dungeon was the end of the game for me.

Raapys

Arcane
I sort of liked DD, but think I managed to get stuck somewhere because of a bug, with no recent backup save. And it wasn't good enough to do all sorts of stuff again.

Angthoron

Arcane
Raapys said:
I sort of liked DD, but think I managed to get stuck somewhere because of a bug, with no recent backup save. And it wasn't good enough to do all sorts of stuff again.

More or less same. Due to a bug there was something I missed and then I just thought that levelling a character to where he was already was too much of a chore. Was a neat enough game though, but suffering from Too Much Boring Trash.

hoochimama

Liturgist
Texas Red said:

Finished Drakensang 1 yet couldn't suffer DD2's demo to the end. I'd go with ROT.

DefJam101

Arcane
Raapys said:
DraQ said:
It's the exact opposite of level scaling.
Learn the meaning of the buzzwords you use, moran.
:decline:
O rly? Your damage and damage you receive scale with the difference in level between you and your enemy. Thus, level-scaling. Moran.
Wouldn't that happen anyway? I mean a higher level opponent will have more armor / hp / evasion chance / whatever, won't it? Not the best system for an ARPG to have but this is not level scaling. With level scaling there would be no higher level enemies in the first place.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
The first dungeon was the end of the game for me.

bhlaab

Erudite
Volourn said:

Meritocracy doesn't exist. Divinity 2, same developer, same game, sell it to EA. Suddenly-- more attention. More positive reviews.
It's not about earning respect, it's about absorbing it from the people you're standing next to.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom