Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wow, the gaming media really ignores the little guy...

made said:
Codex isn't any different. Just look at the number of NV threads we get compared to low profile games like Div2.

It is better than other gaming forums I have visited...but yes, you are totally correct otherwise.

Elsewhere you get perhaps one poster reply "OMG THE GRAPHICS MY EYES!!!" while a couple of others leap in and snap out a joke for 5 year olds.

On the Codex, you get the same type of people, mixed in a with a handful of interested parties. Thread usually doesn't last the day on the front page and all is forgotten until someone pops up six months later with a 'Hey look what I found!" post.

So, in essence, they ARE giving the masses what they want. :salute:

Murk

Arcane
I went to the local game stores to see if DKS was there - since I didn't want to download it or wait for it to arrive by mail.

Neither gamestop nor Best Buy had either it nor Flames of Vengeance.

Yeah, they do get ignored.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Blackadder said:
On the Codex, you get the same type of people, mixed in a with a handful of interested parties. Thread usually doesn't last the day on the front page and all is forgotten until someone pops up six months later with a 'Hey look what I found!" post.
It's because most of these threads are about bashing these games, which is practically a sport here.
When people make games that Codexers want, usually they don't provide much bashing material. Additionally much of these games aren't good for what they are like for example Fallout, but just decent for what they are, so they don't provoke much enthusiasm that could counterbalance the relative lack of bashing.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS THE GOOD THING ABOUT THE CODEX IS THAT SOME PEOPLE HERE LIKE ROLE PLAYING GAMES AND CAN RECOMMEND SOME ONES OTHER BROS MIGHT HAVE OVERLOOKED

BROS MY OPINION OF VOLURN IS RUINT DD WAS VERY GOOD FOR A HACKNSLASH DIABLO LIKE AND BETTER IN SOME WAYS THAN LOTS OF BIG RELEASES IT HAD WORLD INTERACTIVITY AND SHIT LIK SOME OF THE ULTIMNAS

OF COURSE IF DIABLO COMBART IS NOT YOUR STYLE GO ELSEWHERE BUT THE FIRST GAME HAD LOTS OF GOOD POINTS

made

Arcane
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Blackadder said:
It's because most of these threads are about bashing these games, which is practically a sport here.
Not really. Critical discussion may take place weeks after release, once the initial buzz has worn off. Case in point: NV, DA. But I'm talking about the sheer volume of threads/news posts. In that Codex is as mainstream as any other gaming site.

Shannow

Waster of Time
A mediocre aRPG doesn't get covered in the US...boohoo.

Next time a good game (prefereably a game that's special because it uses "outdated" gameplay mechanics to great effect) gets ignored I'll share in with the rage. But for a"RPG" number 786381239272796824 that's not even better than Dungeon Lords? Hell, no.

Cenobyte

Prophet
Shannow said:
A mediocre aRPG doesn't get covered in the US...boohoo.

Eh, yeah, it might be mediocre. Personnaly, I wouldn't call it superb either, but it's a funny little game with some good quests and nice humor. And it's not horribly wannabe-grimdark or pseudo-edgy. Larian also tries their best to sort out bugs and improve the gameplay mechanics. Some changes in DKS were also done only because of customer requests and feedback.
I haven't played the DKS version yet, so the above impressions only apply to Div 2 and the FoV addon (which is worth mentioning, btw, since it is a real addon and not some 30min dlc crap).

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Mikayel said:
I went to the local game stores to see if DKS was there - since I didn't want to download it or wait for it to arrive by mail.

Neither gamestop nor Best Buy had either it nor Flames of Vengeance.

Yeah, they do get ignored.

They don't even have a publisher yet for the US, but you can get the game digitally or in a box from Canada. You could also just buy the original version in a box, Ego Draconis, and then get the add-on online like I did.

If you really want the dumb-it-down effects from Dragon Knight Saga they are supposedly releasing a patch for that for the original game.

Dantus12

Educated
That is very common.Not everyone is Bioware, or EA and most marketing sites are either scared shitles ,or plain paid.
There are previews and reviews changing over night.
Lots of sites specifically in other languages change their view,based on English spoken sites,to keep up with Google hits,that`s money to.
So the most hyped game gets even more hype,and some quality games get no publicity at all.
Same goes with magazines,with exception of few established ones.

Norfleet

Blackadder said:
I actually find that the Codex does a good job with noticing Indy titles. If anything, it does TOO good a job, frequently noticing titles that DO NOT ACTUALLY EXIST. By the time someone bothers to take the idea and make a game out of it, I'm so sick and tired of hearing about it that the entire game passes without so much as even a not-remove-from-inventory. Take, for instance, that "Age of Decadence" thing. It SOUNDED like it would be a wonderful game...there's only one problem: THERE IS NO SUCH GAME. It's the Codexian equivalent of Duke Nukem Forever.

Of course, the big name titles get more threads, but all of that coverage is slanted strongly towards the negative. As it should be. Why would you talk about something that actually exists except to bash it? If you haven't got anything negative to say, why bother saying it at all? All you accomplish by saying non-negative things is to make yourself look like a shill and destroy your own credibility.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's already been addressed. Sometimes it's best to just let the autistic child bang his head against the wall.

Repressed Homosexual
Divine Divinity was awesome, that's what I voted for in best RPG of last decade in the last Codex feature. Sure the initial dungeon is pretty long but it's still entertaining and it gets far better once you get out of that village.

Larian basically takes the typical fantasy tropes, give you a big world shockful of stuff to do, vibrant with personality and inventiveness, and then add a touch of Monty Python to it all. How could anyone not love that? It's simply a breath of fresh air, and many developpers would do well to take heed from them.

I simply love the guy who composes the music for their games, most talented guy in the whole industry. I've yet to hear anything any deeper, more varied and more atmospheric in a game.

As for reviewers, you know the drill. I have about as much trust and respect for them, as I have for the turds that go down my toilet bowl. They're self-important, illiterate, puerile brown nosers and nothing more. No one with any dignity or worth would accept a job with shit pay such as game "journalism".

Norfleet

Roguey said:
It's already been addressed. Sometimes it's best to just let the autistic child bang his head against the wall.
A "combat demo" is hardly a game. DNF had "demos". None of this constitutes proof of a GAME. There is not a single shred of evidence that supports the belief that an actual game exists. There is better proof for the existence of unicorns than there is for this game. Guess what? Unicorns don't exist.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"A "combat demo" is hardly a game. DNF had "demos". None of this constitutes proof of a GAME. There is not a single shred of evidence that supports the belief that an actual game exists. There is better proof for the existence of unicorns than there is for this game. Guess what? Unicorns don't exist."

Weren't you one of the peons who claimed that DA didn't 'exist' because its release was 'too slow' for you and we all know how that turned out. DA was released, an expansion was released, a bunch of mods were released, and a DA2 is coming too.

Just because companies don't work on YOUR fuckin' time table doesn't mean the products don't excist, you fuckin' fuckinutz.

:x :x :x

Hobo Elf

Arcane
The problem with the gaming media is that they are all high school drop outs who don't know shit about real journalism. Most of them are in it for the schwag, perks, exclusives and of course to be able to get copies of games before they are officially released. It's an even less dignified job than prostitution. At least with prostitutes there is no bullshit and lies (unless they have AIDS).

Norfleet

Volourn said:
Weren't you one of the peons who claimed that DA didn't 'exist' because its release was 'too slow' for you and we all know how that turned out.
I don't recall anything like that. Why would a release be "too slow"? That makes no logical sense. Either something exists, or it does not. Things don't exist "slowly", that would be nonsense. You must have me confused with someone else.

Volourn said:
DA2 is coming too.
So they SAY. It seems likely they may even bother to make such a thing. That does not mean it actually exists NOW. Since it does not actually exist at this time, anything about it is obviously bollocks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom