Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mod News WTF - Baldur's Gate complete remake for NWN2 released

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Grand waste of time. The Aurora engine is a shitheap.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Also Britain has the best whisky :cool:

(Fucking hell I did post in a wrong thread, I see! Thanks Infi-kun)

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I still don't get why he doesn't go make original content instead. And this got him a job in the games industry? Even they seem to value people who are only good at copying other ideas. :decline:

no I'm not bitter
The games industry doesn't want ideas from entry-level employees. What they want is people who can complete their assigned tasks to spec and schedule.

Like every other industry, basically. Which is a good thing, really. In my experience, I've found that people who can complete their assigned tasks properly are not exactly dime a dozen.

UnknownBro

Savant
*rotate* *rotate* *click on minsc* *rotate* *rotate* *rotate* *click on barrel* *rotate* *rotate*

Good for him though, options are always good.

Hear ye! hear ye! NWN2 engine is a piece of shit!!!

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
After 7 years of hard work he managed to port Baldur's Gate --a somewhat boring game in restrospect, whose main asset was the beautiful 2,5D isometric engine-- into the atrocious NWN2 engine.

Congratulations.

:excellent:

Unwanted

Cursed Platypus

Unwanted
large.jpg

You're making him jealous.

getter77

Augur
BG2 in the ToEE's engine... now that would've been time well invested. :obviously:

Sigh, that's just a cruel wound given how much progress Circle of 8 continues to make on the base of it all while that one dude may never make it back to making The Keep on the Borderlands and thereby jam the door open for more folks to make future scenarios with a good reference point. :(

7hm

Scholar
The games industry doesn't want ideas from entry-level employees. What they want is people who can complete their assigned tasks to spec and schedule.

Every employer wants this.

Ideas are great and all, but getting things done is way more important.

That being said, I'd like to see someone actually gives impressions. Both this and the thread in the main crpg board are just talking about the idea. I'm curious how well it's implemented (and don't have NWN2 to check it out).

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Some guy is doing a video LP

Pretty boring, but you can skip through and have a look at the content I guess.

I wonder if there is a point to diplomacy/bluff/intimidate etc.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Can anyone comment on whether its better to play BG1 modded (with BG2), BGEE, or through this NWN2 mod? Never played it before.
You should start with vanilla BG1. GOG version is the best.

Anyway, it is impressive to see they actually made this mod, but as already mentioned before - WHY!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! . NWN2's engine was the one reason I've never managed to finish the game (so far). Why port BG to it and make an inferior version.

We'll this IS impressive. Without any hype and then abandoning the mod, like most do. He quietly worked and then published his mod. Nice. Too bad it's a lot of time wasted for dubious effect...

Untermensch

Augur
Like the spirit eating mechanic in MoTB, the camera in NWN2 is also a great retard detector.

So.... 3 camera mods aren't enough for some people to make moving and rotating painless.

What a bunch of retards.....

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
If nothing else, this mod highlights how pretty '98 graphics were compared to '06 graphics.

Yes, I agree Baldur's Gate's pre-rendered graphics are better than Neverwinter Nights 2's but an important advantage that most people are overlooking and that I've been thinking about a lot lately is that Neverwinter Nights 2's engine makes it much easier for characters to emote and actually do things. A big problem with Baldur's Gate is that characters just stand there even when the game makes it clear they're working or doing something. The lack of an ability to show action limits the kinds of dialogue and scenes that can be in a game. When the game does show action, it's limited to people fighting or walking. This is a problem with Baldur's Gate's graphics and ones that the designers had to write around. If Baldur's Gate was capable of showing a wider range of emotes and actions, something that Neverwinter Nights 2 can do, it would have had potentially huge consequences on the breadth of the game's content. Whether or not this mod takes advantage of that feature is something I'll see when I play it, but I think it's an important distinction in the capabilities of 2D and 3D graphics.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, it is funny how people don't notice that nobody can ever actually do anything in those games other than walk around and fight. There aren't even any animations for opening doors and chests. The power of immursion.

Evoking any range of emotion or action in the imagination of the player through good dialogue writing VS immersing them in plastic horrors of 3D uncanny valley? Hmm, that's a tough one. Lemme think... Uhm, no, pretty sure I'd pick the former.
And how much development time would it take to express the same emotion via animation as opposed to writing a short sentence?
This isn't really about graphics, in fact: it's about a developer's ability to keep the player's attention to the information they're trying to relay. If their target player is incapable of maintaining focus to read a paragraph or two without something moving on the screen, then maybe RPG isn't the genre they should be working in.

Rake

Arcane
:x I'm still waiting for MotB to be remade in IE, and instead we get this!
:rage:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom