Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Yet Another Morrowind Thread

Cadmus

Arcane
that fucking Oblivion font
these project are so useless, remaking the game in a horrible new engine that will look as dated on release as the original game

Space Insect

Arcane
:necro:
Time to bring this thread back and talk about better games than Fallout 4 in the Bethesda forum!

So I've been playing Morrowind for the first time and I really enjoy it. I have never played Oblivion and I played a bit of Skyrim on a friend's console. Morrowind already seems better than Skyrim. The world is just awesome and discovering all this crazy lore for the first time is just great. It is just that feeling that you can tell you are traveling somewhere different when the terrain turns from swamps to mountains to windswept lava flows. Just continuing to see all these alien enviroments is a major reason why I keep playing this game.

While I can tell that the leveling system is terribly broken and the game is very easy, I don't even really care at this point. Any idiots who complained about never being to hit things must have just played a few minutes because their argument is extremely invalid. My long sword skill is already up to 100 with no trainers. (I am level 12 btw) I am playing a dunmer with the Atronach as his star sign. Due to my own fault of not reading the manual first, I did nit realize what wormburn was. However, I had long sword and light armor as major skills so I could over come this mistake. Overall, I love the freedom you have especially in the spell system. Morrowind was not even afraid to let the player use large numbers.

Unfortunately, most of the quests are rather bland fetch quests. However, I see them as a way to encourage exploration for those of us (like me) who can't just start walking in one direction. They also are rather realistic of what people in these guilds would have to do.
I can't stress enough what a great world and eviroment this game has. I would be willing to play it just for that if it had nothing else.
(Note: All of this does not mean that this game is perfect. inb4 fanboi)

madrigal

Augur
I am playing a dunmer with the Atronach as his star sign. Due to my own fault of not reading the manual first, I did nit realize what wormburn was. However, I had long sword and light armor as major skills so I could over come this mistake.

Oh no, what a grave mistake you made in picking the most powerful sign, I hope it doesn't completely ruin your experience.

Space Insect

Arcane
I am playing a dunmer with the Atronach as his star sign. Due to my own fault of not reading the manual first, I did nit realize what wormburn was. However, I had long sword and light armor as major skills so I could over come this mistake.

Oh no, what a grave mistake you made in picking the most powerful sign, I hope it doesn't completely ruin your experience.
Yeah, the first mage I fought I realized how powerful it was.

Caim

Arcane
Combat is the worst part of Morrowind. But the world, world is just.... great!
Looks like Dark Brotherhood armor is overpowered. I still can't find any armor better than it.
The only Light Armor that's better than Dark Brotherhood stuff is Glass, and that's incredibly rare and expensive. DB stuff is also better than most other armors, even when you have their skills at max level.

bloodlover

Arcane
I wonder if anyone goes for medium armor in this game and what would be the reasoning. I guess Ordinator armor is very cool but other than that...

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Any idiots who complained about never being to hit things must have just played a few minutes because their argument is extremely invalid.
Indeed. Doing so is a clear sign of being a moron who didn't read the fucking manual or even has a single clue of what an "arr pee gee" entails. What makes the complaint even more silly is the fact that any way you play the game, you'll end up a god within hours.

Unfortunately, most of the quests are rather bland fetch quests. However, I see them as a way to encourage exploration for those of us (like me) who can't just start walking in one direction. They also are rather realistic of what people in these guilds would have to do.

Most quests aren't that captivating, no. But on the up side, like you say, they feel like normal tasks people would want done. Compared to the movie set pieces that make up the faction questlines in Skyrim, where you discover some earth-shattering secret and people keep telling you how cool you are as if the player were a child (guess what the game was designed for).

The world is just awesome and discovering all this crazy lore for the first time is just great. It is just that feeling that you can tell you are traveling somewhere different when the terrain turns from swamps to mountains to windswept lava flows. Just continuing to see all these alien enviroments is a major reason why I keep playing this game.
Oh yes, the world and atmosphere is fucking awesome. The artstyle, the music, the cultures, the religions, the lore, all amazing.
Combat is dull, quests are rather stale and any resemblence of balance or challenge is shot to hell after the first few hours. But the game is an exploration- and lorefag's dream.

Last edited:

MWaser

Arbiter
Most quests aren't that captivating, no. But on the up side, like you say, they feel like normal tasks people would want done. Compared to the movie set pieces that make up the faction questlines in Skyrim, where you discover some earth-shattering secret and people keep telling you how cool you are as if the player were a child (guess what the game was designed for).
Indeed, one of the parts that annoyed me about Skyrim was how ridiculously over-the-top the guild quest lines were. I mean, Winterhold College drops the ancient prophecy of the chosen one or something when? 2nd, 3rd quest? I immediately couldn't take it seriously whatsoever, and then it also puts the OBVIOUSLY EVIL DOOD as the Archmage's 2nd in command or something.

Oblivion already went with the plot-sidequests in the guilds that went through some kind of story arcs, although they seemed less jarring for the most part (except maybe the Mages' Guild where the first quest to get your staff already gets rudely interrupted by a necromancer attack, and the sole fact that the game just goes with making all necromancy evil even though it was supposed to only be illegal in Morrowind). But at least the Oblivion quest lines got you involved in the big missions after you've already proven yourself to be resourceful in smaller tasks for the most part, so you can at least see the logic in it.

Combat is dull, quests are rather stale and any resemblence of balance or challenge is shot to hell after the first few hours.
Up till the expansions, anyway. I'm pretty sure random werewolves in Bloodmoon make even Dagoth Ur look like a joke by comparison.

as if the player were a child (guess what the game was designed for).
The ESRB would like us to think otherwise :smug:
SkyrimCEa1.png

Last edited:

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter
morrowind is fking boring man i got bored of it in like an hour

oblivion i think i at least lasted like 3 hours before i got bored

never played skyrim ^__^

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

never played skyrim ^__^

It was a boring game for me until i installed this mod
http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/36945/

Philistine. Bitter Coast only lives up to it's desolate reality in Vanilla, with the graphic limitations ENHANCING the feel of the hardscrabble existence for the people that live there all the way up to Khull. The messy textures of the ground and lack of grass evoke a land of mosses and mud that even basic vegetation finds hard to exist in, the craggy, few branch trees with a handful of leaves reinforcing this.

In Overhaul, Bitter Coast looks like a lush temperate forest area!

MWaser

Arbiter
Well, it is called the "Bitter Coast", after all. Not exactly a happy-sounding place to live. I think someone making the overhaul thought swamps were a pretty chill place.

Other than that, the overhaul is pretty nice though. However I'd disagree that Morrowind is boring without it, its gameplay changes are for the most part pretty minor, and I don't see how the graphics would make the game more interesting. Besides, that attitude is what causes many modern game companies to focus on form over substance (wink wink Bioware)

:rpgcodex:

Sounds about right.

never played skyrim ^__^
^__^

Caim

Arcane
"Do you know, how would look Morrowind game, if it was made today?"

After seeing that, and someone getting shit done in an Elder Scrolls game made me suspect this was made by a Slav.

When I heard Caius talk it seems that my prediction was proven correct.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Tbh Vivec cantons could've used quest arrow and fast travel given how they were identical copy pasted quadrants of mostly nothing. Navigating these to complete fetch quests were pain in the ass. Still funny and relevant, of course.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
There's one suspiciously Codexian. Confess, who of you bunch of dirty pollack perverts made this?

One for Jasede:

Last edited:

wwsd

Arcane
Vatnik
I wonder if anyone goes for medium armor in this game and what would be the reasoning. I guess Ordinator armor is very cool but other than that...

Ebony Mail? Of course, it's just the cuirass and there's no set otherwise. And if you already know about it, it's unlikely the game will be challenging anyway.

Xbalanque

Educated
Probably Russian, love the voice acting :).

Also, the Quest Marker is awful
Oh no, no, no.

From the moment I heard it I just knew it was polish. And checking the uploader's profile confirmed it.
Is it? I'm Polish, wouldn'thave though it's Ponglish.

EDIT: After watching it another time I do hear it.

Agree with adding a Quest Marker in Vivec being a good idea.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom