Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Your favourite games from the dark age of pure shit (2005 - 2009)

Ash

Arcane
I will always like you, silly lemming. And yeah you do have a fairly decent grasp of the decline. Still, thread is a joke and perfectly representative of the decline of this site. I can't stomach it anymore.

Ash

Arcane
Just dropping in to take a dump. Sorry to disappoint. I had been considering leaving for quite some time. Miss hanging out with some of you guys but the site is too infested with casuals, fools and degenerates running amok.

Anyways, let me not derail - signing out. Back to the clueless zero standards talk.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Jesus christ, feeling nostalgic and this I what I stumble upon? This thread is utterly full of shit. The Dark Ages the OP lambasts, his "faves" is full of those same games, but lets not single out OP when 75% of the thread is pathetic. There has been multiple votes for Bioshock, Oblivion & Mass Effect, the triumvirate of action RPG decline that only a midwit can enjoy. Multiple votes for Shadow of the Colossus, Batman: Retard Asylum, Tomb Raider: Legend. Utter retard-tier action-adventure gaming, the death of that genre. Shit-tier style over substance FPS like FEAR, Hard Reset and Prey. Though FPS was dead long before this era. It died in substance pretty much as soon as Y2K rolled around. We've even got a vote for Fable and Fahrenheit in there.

So much for the most prestigious gaming website. It's not worth staying for the dwindling number of members that have standards and know their vidja. According to vote count, Bioshock is the best game of that era. What a shame.

there's a lot to talk about

No thanks. :salute:
Just dropping in to take a dump. Sorry to disappoint. I had been considering leaving for quite some time. Miss hanging out with some of you guys but the site is too infested with casuals, fools and degenerates running amok.

Anyways, let me not derail - signing out. Back to the clueless zero standards talk.
youropinionisimportant.gif

Ash

Arcane
Like I said, place is infested with casuals and tards. Those shitty batman games automate a significant portion of the gameplay, the game is playing YOU. Similar to Assassin's Creed and the like. You have to be dumb as rocks to enjoy it...I picture a drooling retard whenever a fan speaks.

You have a complete fucking retard on the previous page claiming it was the best time for action games with many in agreement, when in fact that was the single root genre that declined the most, from the linear braindead static FPS games. Third person shooters becoming whack-a-mole cover shooters. Platformers and action-adventure becoming braindead automated cinematic trash. Action RPGs becoming total shit like Bioshock and Oblivion. Stealth was pretty much dead, among many other styles/subgenres just not getting made anymore. This place is clearly irredeemable.

Alright, enough scaling myself to this place's level. Take care bud.

Last edited:

Goldschmidt

Learned
Like I said, place is infested with casuals and tards. Those shitty batman games automate a significant portion of the gameplay, the game is playing YOU. Similar to Assassin's Creed and the like. You have to be dumb as rocks to enjoy it...I picture a drooling retard whenever a fan speaks.

You have a complete fucking retard on the previous page claiming it was the best time for action games with many in agreement, when in fact that was the single root genre that declined the most, from the linear braindead static FPS games. Third person shooters becoming whack-a-mole cover shooters. Platformers and action-adventure becoming braindead automated cinematic trash. Action RPGs becoming total shit like Bioshock and Oblivion. Stealth was pretty much dead, among many other styles/subgenres just not getting made anymore. This place is clearly irredeemable.

Go and play your glorious Turok and Quake and think they are the best FPS ever made. They were good at the time and I played Quake myself back then but if I launch that shit again on my pc these days, I do a quick uninstall how boring it all really is. The shooting is abysmal and if I want to find secrets in a non-linear dungeon, I'd rather play a dungeon crawler like Legend of Grimrock.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Penumbra games were kickass and came out these years. Mask of the Betrayer is one of the best storyfag RPGs of all time and is getting disappointingly few mentions in this thread.

Also Pathologic and The Void. Because they were harder to actually publish, indie games in this era were generally a lot more interesting than the shovelware that's been flooding the market for the last decade or so.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

Played this for the first time 2 years ago and found it really lackluster and boring. Struggled to finish it.

That's fair. For me, it was the only one of the series I liked before it went super hard into the on rails, ADHD action scenes, etc. but I certainly understand if someone hates that one too. It's a very console action adventure game.

Paladino

Literate
F.E.A.R.
Star Wars: Battlefront II
Sega Rally Revo
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Machinarium

Ezekiel

Arcane
When you press them, they don't defend it. They can't. They go silent. Noticed it again and again. I've come across maybe one guy on a different forum who persisted, at least for a while. But he had to behave obtusely and dishonestly for his argument not to fall apart.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
place is infested with casuals and tards.
Says the guy that unironically believes that Sekiro's combat design is not only great but also better than DMC5
This shows that for these kinds of games, your priorities are first and foremost the quality of the presentation, rather than the quality of the mechanical design
That's as casual as it gets

When you press them, they don't defend it.
Because your criticisms were entirely about the most pedantic nitpicks, that all boiled down to "I don't like it"
And who the hell wants to waste their time with long-ass arguments about something as subjective as someone else's taste
Specially considering from the onset of the discussio, you proclaimed something on the lines of: "I don't like it and nothing can be said to make me reconsider my opinion"
So why I are you expecting people to defend it?
Someone could write and incredible effort post, analysing the game and its aesthetics in a reasonable and insightful manner, in the end it wouldn't matter because you would just say "Don't care. I don't like it."

And by the way you also barely argued when the other posters gave their reasons
To give a quick example
You complained that the Joker looked bizzare
I essentially replied with, "That's kinda the point and how the character is supposed to look. By the way it's also a very clear homage to his now classic 70's rendition."
Did you argue these points?
No
You ignored them and went about with your obsessive spam of autistic nitpicks...

Ash

Arcane
Says the guy that unironically believes that Sekiro's combat design is not only great but also better than DMC5
This shows that for these kinds of games, your priorities are first and foremost the quality of the presentation, rather than the quality of the mechanical design
That's as casual as it gets

Pea brain demonstrating his spacious mental real estate again. You could start renting some of it out for a premium.

For you, an action game is combat mechanics, presentation, and that's it. You've just demonstrated that's how narrowly you think. In reality, Sekiro is a platformer. A stealth game. An exploration & navigation game. Combat game. Resource management is important. Pacing is important. among perhaps the most important of all, level design. And so forth. Fucking chimp gen Z raised on all those late 00s dumbed down whack-a-mole arena games...it's not your fault.

I also did not once say Sekiro had better combat design than DMC5. I simply said I liked Sekiro at one point, and disliked DMC5 in a different post. That means overall. As a game. Not solely combat mechanics. Do you comprehend? This isn't the first time I have tried to get you to see the bigger picture.

Go and play your glorious Turok and Quake and think they are the best FPS ever made. They were good at the time and I played Quake myself back then but if I launch that shit again on my pc these days, I do a quick uninstall how boring it all really is. The shooting is abysmal and if I want to find secrets in a non-linear dungeon, I'd rather play a dungeon crawler like Legend of Grimrock.

Again, more putting words in my mouth. I...don't think Quake nor Turok are THAT good lol. Both around a solid 8/10 for me, quake perhaps being the slightly better one +0.25. Definitely classic, but neither are in my top 5 FPS. Probably top ten though. You're the inadequate fucktard that thinks braindead 2000s era FPS are worth a damn. Nothing more needs to be said. But I will.

Again, another chimp-brained game design analysis is on offer to this forum. delightful.

"Teh shooting is bad"

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're obviously referring to weapon feedback - anim quality, recoil, particle effects, sound et al. Yeah, everyone that plays quake knows that's all pretty bad, but we also know it's mostly cosmetic and doesn't hold too much relevance. Combat on the whole (which is a combination of many things) is largely fantastic in Quake, despite the poor weapon feedback. It perhaps has the worst weapon feedback in any FPS, and yet simultaneously offers among the best combat in FPS. You would recognize that were you not an idiot.

Also, you should have played with my mod, which improves weapon feedback significantly, and is generally focused on taking the combat even further.

So according to you there is two parts to the game: "shooting" which you clearly don't understand, and then there is dungeon crawling, to which you say you'd rather just play grimrock. Firstly, Quake is full 3D (meaning verticality is a factor in gameplay), it has free movement and has platforming. Secondly, you factor in all that *during* fast paced combat running & jumping around at high speeds. This is a completely different experience to a grid-based, flat plane dungeon crawler cRPG like Grimrock.

Place is absolutely crawling with smooth-brained, big-mouthed kiddos with zero comprehension of game design history. It has become popamole paradise. But it's not just you kids. Plenty of completely worthless posters older than you too. The ratio of such posters has tipped the scales, so nothing more of value is to be found.

This was my final post, to truly write home how bad things have got here. It's hilarious as it's the polar opposite to the GRPG discussion subforum that's devoutly old school cRPG. Here's it's post-decline popamole central outside of maybe 15% of posters.

Last edited:

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Half of the games OP listed are why that period of time is known as the dark ages of pure shit video games. BioShock and Fallout 3. :lol:

This was my final post, to truly write home how bad things have got here. It's hilarious as it's the polar opposite to the GRPG discussion subforum that's devoutly old school cRPG. Here's it's post-decline popamole central outside of maybe 15% of posters.
Holy shit this is like the 3rd or 4th "this is my last post before I take my ball and go home" tirades. Shut up faggot.

rubinstein

Educated
Half of the games OP listed are why that period of time is known as the dark ages of pure shit video games. BioShock and Fallout 3. :lol:
niggas are posting some actually prestigious games like: saints row, stalker, MotB, mount and blade, guild wars
and then bundle them with mass effect, oblivion, and borderlands

this thread is a shitshow

Lemming42

Arcane
That's it. For a full four-year stretch. 17 games I could think of. And a lot of these games aren't even good - Quake IV is the definition of mediocre, Mass Effect is overall very boring, Oblivion sucks and is only there because it's part of the TES series, BioShock isn't up to much, and then there's shit like Stolen and Titan Quest which are just knockoffs of pre-existing, generally better games. I don't like AssCreed much, I just think it's an interesting experiment/tech demo/whatever. Tomb Raider: Legend fucking sucks and it's only "worth" playing to see the destruction of a once-beloved franchise happen before your eyes.

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
For you, an action game is combat mechanics, presentation, and that's it. You've just demonstrated that's how narrowly you think. In reality, Sekiro is a platformer. A stealth game. An exploration & navigation game. Combat game. Resource management is important. Pacing is important. among perhaps the most important of all, level design
If a player wishes to play a game for its combat, then of course he will want all the other aspects of the design to support rather than contradict the combat.

For example, stealth is always a direct contradiction (as it allows players to literally skip combat), so there should be no stealth, or it should be limited to something like choosing initial positioning.

You might not personally find combat very interesting, or be happy to see combat take a back seat to other things, but that's just your subjective taste.

Combat ofc. is just an example here, but you seem to have this "I want my games to have everything including the kitchen sink!" personal preference, and you somehow think this makes you some kind of genius super hardcore gamer or whatever, which is ironic because kitchen sink game design philosophies are inherently anti-challenge.

Ezekiel

Arcane
When you press them, they don't defend it.
Because your criticisms were entirely about the most pedantic nitpicks, that all boiled down to "I don't like it"
And who the hell wants to waste their time with long-ass arguments about something as subjective as someone else's taste
Specially considering from the onset of the discussio, you proclaimed something on the lines of: "I don't like it and nothing can be said to make me reconsider my opinion"
So why I are you expecting people to defend it?
Someone could write and incredible effort post, analysing the game and its aesthetics in a reasonable and insightful manner, in the end it wouldn't matter because you would just say "Don't care. I don't like it."

And by the way you also barely argued when the other posters gave their reasons
To give a quick example
You complained that the Joker looked bizzare
I essentially replied with, "That's kinda the point and how the character is supposed to look. By the way it's also a very clear homage to his now classic 70's rendition."
Did you argue these points?
No
You ignored them and went about with your obsessive spam of autistic nitpicks...

You throw "autism" around as a defense mechanism that excuses you from having to engage. The minutiae that I discuss add up to the satisfaction of the whole.

I said that Joker's chin is bizarre because it stands out in a game where the other human faces are mostly normal and it clashes with the high level of detail all over his face. Or, the over-design of everything and the degree of realism incl. Joker's clashes with your 1970s rendition of Joker. I didn't say complete realism, but it is in that middle, so don't start again about it being toon. Even if you disagree with all the different character critiques I did with my several pictures, are you gonna sit there and tell me that THIS collection of designs is what you would choose for a Batman game? I can't wrap my head around how this artwork is beautiful to anyone.

Subjective, you say. Okay, let's look at it objectively.

Is foot movement and positioning relative to the opponent objectively important in martial arts. Yes.

If you wanted to relate that to the player so that they feel immersed in the fight, what would be more logical?

A. The game pulls the hero all the way to the enemy with a single tap of navigation + attack button. If they try to separate from that automation (move around on their own) for even half a second, their combo is broken and their attacks become weaker again. All threats from any direction can be countered without navigating (only swords requiring the player to pull away as they press counter repeatedly) or evaded with the jump button.

B. The player moves freely. They must pay attention to where the enemies are and position the hero where they will be most effective and not in immediate harm. They control the direction of counter.

If you wanted to impress the player visually (ignoring how strange it OBJECTIVELY looks in the game, which I will get to again), then you'd choose option A. But if you wanted to really engage them interactively, then reducing their input and automating so much of the movement (lengthy animations that disrupt input) would not be an option. You would HAVE to choose option B.

Strange is him twirling several meters over the floor from enemy to enemy with no catapult, chaining them all, like he's Kat from Gravity Rush. "It's a superhero game." Useless defense. Batman was never supposed to be wuxia. Even the Bruce Timm cartoons for younger children had some basic physics. There were moments, sure, but it wasn't so consistently ridiculous from second to second.

What was the developer's intention with the combat system? To make the player feel like a Batman who is so well trained and powerful that he doesn't struggle in a fight. But this isn't the Batman I know. I've seen him get hit plenty of times. If he dominates in a video game, it should be because of the player's skill, not because the game lets them cruise on easy mode.

Some crowd handling mechanics without such automation:
-Enemies bump into others when hit.
-A rearward punch/kick that keeps the hero facing the first threat.
-A sideways kick/spin that can strike more than one.
-Weapons such as poles, tires and barrels in the environments.

They made fighting so easy through all the automation that stealth had to be completely separated. If in a good Batman game there is a group of baddies too big and well armed for most players to handle, then they should have the option to combine stealth with the action, they should be able to beat up a few and then withdraw again, maybe throw down a smoke grenade or throw a boomerang into a steam pipe or cut through some flour so that they can find a position from which to stalk again, or just run behind the geometry and make another turn/climb before they can catch up and see which way he went. But the Arkham games can't do that because the developers misunderstood what Batman is or didn't care because they were making it for a wide, casual audience. It makes both types of encounters more one-dimensional, in my subjective opinion. The stealth is highly context-sensitive, with playground floor grills, catwalks, gargoyles and other designated spots favored over natural movement, so densely packed together that inevitably the player performs the wrong actions.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane
Batgirl is cute, or used to be. Always hated the Oracle version of her in a wheelchair. What a waste! Arkham Knight finally made her playable in a short prequel DLC, but she was too tall, covered in stupid (and encumbering) armor plates (for muh realism) and had fewer abilities.

Spike

Educated
Similar to the "post-decline gems" thread, except focusing specifically on what I think must be the single worst period in gaming history.

I'm making a big list of every game I think is worth playing from 1990 to 2024. Not games I adore, not even games I necessarilly like, just games which are worth playing in some way. Mostly PC-only, though the occasional console game breaks containment.

The lists are being composed from memory; I'm only putting down games I can remember without consulting a list or MobyGames or whatever. For every year from 1995 to 2002, I have at least fifteen games per year, often far more. 2003 and 2004 fare relatively well too. From 2010 onwards, I can at least manage ten games per year, with far more in the 2018 - 2023 period, which feels like a real rejuvination of gaming.

For the whole 2005 - 2009 stretch though? Here's my list:
Stolen
SWAT 4
F.E.A.R.
Quake 4

Oblivion
Titan Quest
Dark Messiah of Might & Magic
Tomb Raider: Legend

BioShock
Portal
Assassin's Creed
Mass Effect
Aquaria

Fallout 3
Mirror's Edge

Dawn of War II
Dragon Age: Origins

That's it. For a full four-year stretch. 17 games I could think of. And a lot of these games aren't even good - Quake IV is the definition of mediocre, Mass Effect is overall very boring, Oblivion sucks and is only there because it's part of the TES series, BioShock isn't up to much, and then there's shit like Stolen and Titan Quest which are just knockoffs of pre-existing, generally better games. I don't like AssCreed much, I just think it's an interesting experiment/tech demo/whatever. Tomb Raider: Legend fucking sucks and it's only "worth" playing to see the destruction of a once-beloved franchise happen before your eyes.

For comparison, here are my preliminary lists for 1997 and 1998 alone - also composed entirely from memory, and thus incomplete:
Realms of the Haunting
Turok
Magic: The Gathering
The Last Express
Outlaws
Shadow Warrior
Blood
Dungeon Keeper
Carmageddon
Claw
Hexen II
Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
Fallout
MageSlayer
Nightmare Creatures
Dark Forces 2
Take No Prisoners
Total Annihilation
Crash Bandicoot 2
Tomb Raider 2
Myth: The Fallen Lords
The Elder Scrolls: Battlespire
Quake II

Star Trek: Klingon Honor Guard
Die By The Sword
Deathtrap Dungeon
Rage of Mages
Forsaken
Unreal
Descent to Undermountain
Baldur's Gate
Rainbow Six
ODT: Escape or Die Trying
Hexplore
Might & Magic VI
Spyro the Dragon
Delta Force
Fallout 2
Crash Bandicoot 3
King's Quest: Mask of Eternity
The Elder Scrolls: Redguard
Heretic II
SiN
Half-Life
Thief: The Dark Project
Tomb Raider III
Space Bunnies Must Die!

Each of these two years individually has more games I could think of than the entire 2005 - 2009 period. And they're mostly better games, too.

That particular four year stretch is truly dire, the most barren in gaming history. What are your saving graces from this shit period?
SWAT 4 and F.E.A.R. were 2005? Wow...

Ezekiel

Arcane

I don't get that. Telling people why their opinions are hideous is enjoyable. Unless they are really hostile or spam the meme pics to shut you down like on other forums, which I don't see here. Besides, like you said, there is a minority who you find common ground with. I would say 15 percent is pretty sizable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom