Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Your favourite games from the dark age of pure shit (2005 - 2009)

Pokémon Emerald and Battle Network 6 were released in 2005, with Pokémon Platinum coming out in 2009. Other good games that came out during this time include the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games, the Digital Devil Saga duology, the Raidou duology, Super Mario Galaxy, Persona 3, and more.

Fink

Novice
Knights of the Chalice, Dragon Age: Origins, Risen, The Witcher

Psychonauts
F.E.A.R.
SWAT 4
Risen
Divinity II Dragon Knight Saga
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat

Those are only games from that era that I can remember liking enough to play multiple times. There might have been some more but can't recall now.

*Hitman Blood Money
Dead Space

^ Added these as I got reminded of them by posts following mine. Also honorable mention to Crysis. Not a great game but somehow I still return to it sometimes. There ain't exactly many shooters that do what it did, in regards to its freedom of approach in combat encounters and physics. It could have been better but it's still notable.

Last edited:

v01

Novice
chart-45.png

MpuMngwana

Arbiter
Telling people why their opinions are hideous is enjoyable. Unless they are really hostile or spam the meme pics to shut you down like on other forums
"Telling people they're retarded and their opinion is shit is fun unless they fight back"
Wow, what a massive fucking pussy

Ezekiel

Arcane
Telling people why their opinions are hideous is enjoyable. Unless they are really hostile or spam the meme pics to shut you down like on other forums
"Telling people they're retarded and their opinion is shit is fun unless they fight back"
I wouldn't even call spamming meme pics because you're not allowed to insult me and worthless posts (like "Don't feed the troll.") never being called out for what they are because they can only be rated up fighting. Makes the community more of a hive mind with fake positivity. Oh, "no discussion of politics" plays into that too.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I wouldn't even call spamming meme pics because you're not allowed to insult me and worthless posts (like "Don't feed the troll.") never being called out for what they are because they can only be rated up fighting. Makes the community more of a hive mind with fake positivity. Oh, "no discussion of politics" plays into that too.
I was confused too. So you're fine with pushback here but not on other sites because they'll get banned for calling you an autistic retard?

Ezekiel

Arcane
I was confused too. So you're fine with pushback here but not on other sites because they'll get banned for calling you an autistic retard?
This is better, yes. Those spammers who want to shut down the complainers without engaging are also weeded out here with tags like "Participation Award."

MpuMngwana

Arbiter
This is better, yes. Those spammers who want to shut down the complainers without engaging are also weeded out here with tags like "Participation Award."
That clears things up. I guess I'd rather call what you tend to run into at other forums/reddit "insufferably passive-agressive" or something while I find that "really hostile" describes what happens on the Codex when things get heated quite aptly (the latter still being preferable to the former).

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
For you, an action game is combat mechanics, presentation, and that's it.
We're talking about a specific subgenre within the Action genre in which combat mechanics are the main attraction
Furthermore, referred only to combat and not other aspects because I was trying to make a point
In reality, Sekiro is a platformer. A stealth game. An exploration & navigation game. Combat game. Resource management is important. Pacing is important. Among perhaps the most important of all, level design.
Yes Sekiro is essentialy an Action-Adventure game, it dabbles in a broad range of elements without deepening it's commitment to any of them - with the exception of combat
And it's ironic that you praise Sekiro but bemoan people for liking the Arkham series, even though both games share a number of similarities in gameplay (which I am tolerant towards in the Arkham games as they were made to be casual experiences unlike Sekiro... plus I am Batfag)
I also did not once say Sekiro had better combat design than DMC5.
You misundertood the point I, but alright that one is on me
What I was trying to convey was that despite not tolerating that other people like games you deem to have bad game design, you yourself like Sekiro's combat despite it's bad design
Meaning you either can't identify good game design (in realtion to combat mechanics at least), or you can but you don't care and prefer other design elements even in games where the main attraction is specifically the combat

You throw "autism" around as a defense mechanism that excuses you from having to engage.
Again
Why should I or anyone engage, when you literally said from the onset of the discussion that you don't like it and that no argument could make you reconsider?
The minutiae that I discuss add up to the satisfaction of the whole.
The minutiae you discussed were nitpicks, which by their definition are personal
Specially nitpicks as petty as "Hmph, I don't like the subtle hexagonal pattern in Catwoman's suit"
What was the developer's intention with the combat system?
To make a casual and fun videogame
They made fighting so easy through all the automation that stealth had to be completely separated.
The predator stealth and combat arena segmends were clearly designed to be seperate from the start, not because the devs somehow only realised late in development that the two were incompatible
They are essentially different activities in order to more neatly structure and pace the game
But the Arkham games can't do that because the developers misunderstood what Batman is
Sorry, no
The Arkham triology are on point regarding the spirit of the setting and characters
That is something even hardcore Batfags agree on

Ezekiel

Arcane
Separating the predator and combat sections does the game no favors. So many possibilities in a union, evidenced by stealth-action games.

Why does it matter that I said I won't be swayed? There are some things that are just true. If you had a good argument, I would fall silent in shame. Instead, it's you who has nothing to say. Do you see, ghost of Ash? The Batman fans all fold. First they use the subjectivity defense and after you then indulge them they snip snip snip to pretend you didn't say it. "It's supposed to be casual" is their only defense, meaning that it's made to appeal to as many people as possible, therefore unable to specialize in anything = bland, piss-easy, not gratifying.

Oh, I forgot to mention in that last post that for a video game about a superhero who jumps/climbs rooftops, fences and catwalks and such, the choice to make it all automatic by having the player hold A in the style of *pukes* Assassin's Creed is a pretty sad one. At some point western developers forgot that platforming is fun. Can't even run off edges in games anymore; the character just stops. (Some Japanese games are affected as well, though. The Last Guardian would have been easier to navigate if the boy just hopped off the edges.)

Untitled.jpg

Uploaded this a few days ago. The first time I'm happy to have a video so disliked. In spite of the inflammatory title, my subscribers won't say anything because I know the game. (Not the stories, though. Never played them again after New Game Plus and mostly can't remember what happened.)

Last edited:

Syme

Arbiter
I was looking through my steam profile and there were actually quite a few more games from that period than I expected. The ones I still play from time to time would be the following:

- Medieval II: Total war (2006). I just can't get into the more modern Total War games the same way I did with Medieval 2 or the original Rome. IDK why exactly.

- Hitman Blood Money (2006). The only Hitman game I keep returning to every now and then, mostly to goof around for a few maps.

- Civ IV (2005). Modded Civ 4 still beats any other 4x, except Alpha Centauri.

- NWN 2 (2006). MotB is rightfully praised, but I actually like the vanilla campaign as well. It feels old-school in a comforting way when nowadays devs seem to compete with one another with how unique and quirky and gay their setting and NPCs can be.

Other than the ones above, there are a few games that I played a lot back in the day, but haven't touched in a long time. King's Bounty the Legend (played it years after release though), SWAT4, HOMM5, and Dawn of War 1 to name a few.

man_at_arms

Literate
- NWN 2 (2006). MotB is rightfully praised, but I actually like the vanilla campaign as well. It feels old-school in a comforting way when nowadays devs seem to compete with one another with how unique and quirky and gay their setting and NPCs can be.
I've played through some of the OC recently, and I agree that it is very comfy with its traditional fantasy setting and writing, although it suffers from the usual realtime with pause trash mob slog. I particularly like the dwarf Khelgar; he is a very traditional, manly dwarf, with the monk arc to add some flavour. His lines about comely lasses and such put a smile on my face.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Darn, I forgot to do the move where you stun with your cap, begin to jump up on the enemy and then leap over to another. Perhaps I'll make a second video. Call it, "Arkham Batman: Combat for Idiots."

Freedos

Novice
S.T.A.L.K.E.R
The Witcher
Company of Heroes
Psychonauts
Team Fortress 2
Dead Space
F.E.A.R
Hitman Blood Money
Dead Rising
Dragon Age: Origins

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Why does it matter that I said I won't be swayed?
:hmmm:

Because as nothing can be said to even prompt you to re-examine your views, any discussion is ultimately an exercise in futility

If you had a good argument, I would fall silent in shame.
Don't give me that bullshit
I know your posting history well enough to know that this autistic song and dance would spiral into a several pages long waste of time, ending with whoever gives up first

Ezekiel

Arcane
Will someone please explain to me who this Ezekiel is that DJO speaks of? Because I hardly recall any long fights. That argument I had with the Elden Ring fan? I'm not mean enough.

Reality

Learned
Company of Heroes 1 and Swat 4 ... Still better than their sequels today (other people's sequels in swat case).

I love Wesnoth and Mount and Blade, but I'd rather date them from their 1.0 / warbrand date

Getting into guilty pleasure territory

Eye Toy : Play 2
Pre dated and blew everything from the motion control craze out of the water. Good memories of a few weekends in my late grandmother's house. Can't be played in a normally lit building though.

Boom Blox
Video game Jenga but with a brilliant "least throws" mini game that stole the show. The mini games other than those two were kinda bad but it's close too joining Bomberman/worms as party game crack. Better than it's sequel because the sequel will time you out while the tower is mid-fall instead of counting "1 throw" as until it's come to rest.

Burnout: Paradise
Forza Horizon has almost deleted this from memory but it was king in its day and I wouldn't object to playing again.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Note: This list is based on games I've actually played. There could be more titles that are good, but I must state 'No Comment' on those.

Civilization 4 (2005)
Deady Rooms of Death 2: Journey to Rooted Hold (2005)
Psychonauts 1 (2005)
Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space (2005)
Aquaria (2007)
Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords (2007)
Team Fortress 2 (2007)
Eversion (2008)
Spelunky (2008)
Ghostbusters: The Video Game (2009)
Risen 1 (2009)
Trine (2009)

With that said, one year in particular stands out with all of us for being Universally Bad: 2006. Interesting...

Scrounger

Educated
2006 is the year of "Have you come seeking the light"...
I remembered pretty vividly that almost every new game had some sort of bloomed light that engulfed the whole screen! Even my idled child brain has noticed that just by looking at screenshots in gaming magazines.
Anyway, I've got my first PC in 2007 (from neighbor) and it had AsterixXXL, CoD1, Serious Sam and 256 emulated sega games on it already (and Photoshop, paint, etc...fun times)
In any case, I guess:

Pitfall - Expedition
Penumbra Overture & Black Plague
Psychonauts 1
Call of Cthulhu
Scrathes
Overlord
...a shitload of adventures

There's definitely more, I need to remember..

Hagashager

Educated
I have fond memories of the list, though it doesn't speak to their quality:

Psychonauts
Fable II
Mass Effect
Drqgon Age: Origins
Two Worlds
Those first two Penny Arcade RPGs
Crackdown
Gears of War
Castle Crashers (still holds up)
Just Cause
Saint's Row 1 and 2
Mega Man 9

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom