Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Zeo Punctuation on Mass Effect

Otingocni

Novice
So Yahtzee, not only producing the only quality feature of The Escapist but also the only thing that actually makes people visit Russ Pitts personal pile of shit (hear him live on the Gamers With Jobs podcast, get banned if you dare ask inconvenient questions), has got around to reviewing Mass Effect.

His verdict? Too wordy. In fact, nearly a third of the review is dedicated to complaining about all the dialog and depth.

And though he did not use the Codex favorite Ass Effect he does get around to using Mass Erect.

Also:
lynchww8.jpg

Mayday

Augur
It was pretty funny though.

And besides, it's not like a game/movie/book can't ever be TOO wordy.

It can.

fastpunk

Arbiter
I can't complain about mister Croshaw, he just isn't your average dumb gaming journalist. So he doesn't like the abundance of dialog, big deal. If Mass Effect is half as I imagine it, I wouldn't like its dialogs either. This isn't his best review (he usually shines the most when he's political: MoH review for example) but it's ZP, and that's reason enough to watch it.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
My boss at GB loves Mass Effect's story, and I suspect its story and dialogue *aren't* the game's weak points.

That said, Yahtzee's criticism comes down to "if you don't like RPGs, you won't like this RPG."

Wow.

Thank you for that incredible piece of insight. :roll:

dragonfk

Erudite
The only reviewer I tend to respect :) . His videos are great I love ZP !! :)

cardtrick

Arbiter
Pretty amusing . . . but not his best work

I thought I remembered him lauding PS:T once upon a time? Hard to complain about games having too many words if you like that. I feel like his real complaint is too much low-quality dialog, which is certainly valid if true, but he wasn't very clear.

dragonfk

Erudite
I wish he would take The Witcher as his next target. I believe it would have been one of the most funniest reviews of his because of the sex cards :) .

Top Hat

Scholar
Yahtzee said:
I did my usual cursory glance over notable forum threads to get my feedback and it seems some people on one forum that shall remain nameless have been calling me a hypocrite for apparently liking Planescape Torment despite it, too, being a monstrously wordy game. My response: where the hell did you get the impression that I liked Planescape Torment? That, too, I found boring and couldn't get further than the first world. I'm not angry, I'm just confused as to how you made this leap of logic. Admittedly I did show the box art for, like, one second to illustrate a point but I don't remember drawing a big sign over it saying THIS GAME IS AWESOME MMM I WANT IT TO SPUNK IN MY FACE

http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I don't think he's replying to here. The main complaint here is that his review is stupid because he fails to understand what Mass Effect is trying to achieve and reviews it for people who don't like the genre, which is just a mildly retarded approach to take.

Top Hat

Scholar
I didn't think so either. It was just a weird coincidence to be reading cardtrick's post and then going to Fully Ramblomatic.

Besides, "The Nameless Forum" is a better title than "RPG Codex" anyway.

Dark Matter

Prophet
Also, if I remember correctly, he said he hates turn based combat. I believe it was in his review for Super Paper Mario.

Dark Matter

Prophet
ZP said:
My response: where the hell did you get the impression that I liked Planescape Torment? That, too, I found boring and couldn't get further than the first world.

First world?

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Ah, Yahtzee is a funny guy and I can respect that. It's not often I'm laughing out loud in front of my brand new Vista/Fail-powered Let's Play Pokemon Emerald-machine. Really now, the guy's a comedian and not a real gamer man like most of us are who lives to read about living armoires and shit! He makes funny cartoons with some rocking 80's rock in the intros. A wee child's what he is. A wee lil sprout! And such a cute little sprout too! Oh yes you are, Yahtzee! Yes you are! Oh...

Coming down from weird kiddie fiddler with a green thumb mountain, I'm enjoying Mass Effect for what it is and shouldn't have been. And Yahtzee's five second beef with the mucho grando text is one of the things that are kind of turning me off. Do you need that much exposition crap for just "hey, i wanna fuck u"? What I'm saying here, and what I think Yahtzee's also getting at (but he can defend his own ass) is that writers should either make text INTERESTING and EFFECTIVE, like in the case of Torment where every bit of text was like Hanukkah all over again and into infinity of a drug-related hate crime. Either that or cut the crap and let me see that hot alien bicycle helmet chick grind my Shepherd for a sec. Because ME is a game where you SHOOT and FUCK aliens for everlasting peace and develop romances.

Also: cocks.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"like in the case of Torment where every bit of text was like Hanukkah all over again"
"
Torment = most overrated writing in a game EVER!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"So what games have better writing than Torment? I've yet to see one."

Please rea dmy post again. You embarass yourself. Nowhere in my post did I say anothe rgame had *better*w riting than PST. All I said was that PST's writing is overrated. HUGE difference.

That said, there are TONS of game whose writing is as good as PST's. TONS.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Volourn said:
"So what games have better writing than Torment? I've yet to see one."

Please rea dmy post again. You embarass yourself. Nowhere in my post did I say anothe rgame had *better*w riting than PST. All I said was that PST's writing is overrated. HUGE difference.

That said, there are TONS of game whose writing is as good as PST's. TONS.
Well, everything is overrated. Remember those jeans they sold, that was already ripped? Pre-ripped? Man, that was overrated.

I have to admit I would be steam rolled to find a game balancing on the same awesome rope bridge of death as Torment is when it comes to the story. I have some close calls, like Fallout because of its sheer badass groove but it didn't have the same feeling so I would be interested in hearing any examples.

I warn you though: say NWN or any BioWare game and I swear I will find you and smear your snot all over the Sears building. Do you know how much snot that is? That's a lot of snot. So you better not say any kind of BioWare game. A'ight?

:wink:

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Drunken Irishman said:
So what games have better writing than Torment? I've yet to see one.
Volourn has a button below his avatar labled Ignore. It's for the best.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom