Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Frayed Knights: The Skull of S'makh-Daon - parodic fantasy turn-based blobber

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
Black Cat said:
Morkar said:
It's amusing how some people fail to recognize basic concepts and their value just because it isn't visual or touchable.

It's amusing how people gives objective value to both concept and thingies when value is a completely subjective concept to begin with. The question is: Why should the pirates give those concepts the same value you give them? Because you made a game and want to be paid for it? Tough luck. Given it comes to nothing but what you want versus what someone else wants either enforce your will or suck it up.
Alignment: Chaotic Evil

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Excidium said:
This shit still going on? :M

It's the Codex.

Seriously, DU could make an announcement thread that the Codex is shutting down, and that he suddenly turned gay and was taking all the user contribution money and running away to marry Tal and people would continue to post in this thread untill the codex shut down and not DU's announcement thread...

The Codex... The Codex never changes...

Kz3r0

Arcane
Morkar said:
Kz3r0 said:
Morkar said:
Black Cat said:
I know you believe all that ME ME ME and that thingies you read in some black books. But I really wish you that you will grown out of such things and learn something about how society works and how you can benefit from society by actually contributing to it
LOL say this to the Banksters getting trillions for free because they bankrupted the world.
Get real she knows how the world works better than you, namely, that spoiled rich brats can get away with anything, literally.
Where are your god and laws now?

Where did I talk about god?

And without a functioning lawsystem we would have things far worse than "Banksters getting trillions for free because they bankrupted the world" to speak in your simple terms of view about the crisis. Doesn't mean there is no maintenance needed. And by not contributing to society you make things better? But even on a personal level you benefit from society by contributing to it. And I do not speak about moral values here. I'm not a social worker or preacher, I'm doing business. It's just the basic premise; I give you something and you give me something back. And sometimes it's even nice to give something without expecting something in return.
But I leave you kids alone here now to make your own experiences about "how the world works" ;)
LOL, prove me first how videogames contribute to society, thanks.
Oh, and what you posted above is just an argument in favor of Black Cat's position:
"Following the law is convenient for you, especially if you are a peasant."

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Jaesun said:
Excidium said:
This shit still going on? :M

It's the Codex.

Seriously, DU could make an announcement thread that the Codex is shutting down, and that he suddenly turned gay and was taking all the user contribution money and running away to marry Tal and people would continue to post in this thread untill the codex shut down and not DU's announcement thread...

The Codex... The Codex never changes...
True that.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
SuicideBunny said:
Morkar said:
But with getting older comes wisdom they say.
wisdom is understanding that different actions still have the same basic egoistical whim motivators and only differ in the experiences/conditioning and level of understanding of the actor.
when i was young i pirated the shit out of games to satisfy my whim to play stuff i enjoyed.
when i grew up i still pirated the shit out of games to satisfy that very whim but i also started buying the ones i enjoyed, not because it's the proper thing to do or because of some bullshit belief that the devs deserve being paid but because it would hurt me in the end by resulting in the kind of games that i enjoy not being made anymore.
Buying stuff related to my hobbies makes me feel better. Too bad I'm out of money.

SuicideBunny said:
when i help some grandma over the street or stand up to offer my seat in the tram i don't do it because it's the right and moral thing to do but because my parents conditioned me to believe that it's the right and moral thing to do and not doing so will make me feel bad which i want to avoid.
I stopped getting up in a tram/bus because I came to conclusion that providing humane conditions for passengers is the job of the transport company, not mine. I paid for my ticket. If someone wants to sit and all the seats are taken, they should wait for a bus that isn't overcrowded. Some time later I stopped riding buses/trams altogether as I don't want to give my money to a shitty company that can't put out consistent quality of service.

MCA
Black Cat said:
You are weird. Cute, but weird. Kind of like Haba. You aren't Haba's secret alt, are you? :?

I would have preferred "Cute. Weird, but cute" but I guess one can't choose. Oh btw, Haba has PM'med a couple times about you. He's obsessed and very likely e-stalking.

Black Cat

Magister
Morkar said:
I wasn't talking about moral value. I was indeed talking about objective values. Knowledge has a value for example. Law has a value as another example. Group dynamics have a value. Society has a value. All things you can't see or touch.

But those values aren't objective, which was my point. You can give shit all the value you have, but they have no inherent value in and out of themselves. Any value Law has, for example, depends on how much it helps or difficults your own objectives or ideals, and there's nothing else to it.

And neither was I talking about moral value. I was talking about subjective value. I value the laws that work on my benefit, sure, and despise those than don't. The former, therefore, has value for me while the later hasn't. It is you, however, who seem to believe thingies and stuffies have inherent and absolute value. They don't: Neither conceptual one nor material ones. The value beauty has for me isn't the value it has for you, and the value pretty clothes have for me isn't the value it has for Kz3r0.

Otherwise show the objective value of Law, or the objective value of knowledge.

Since we are at it I'm a witch and a mystic, so it isn't that I only value those thingies which are material and I can touch. I do value concepts and metaphysical thingies, but I don't believe they have an inherent value whatsoever: I value those I am allied with and despise those I am not, just like I value the thingies I enjoy or the thingies that benefit me.

I know you believe all that ME ME ME and that thingies you read in some black books. But I really wish you that you will grown out of such things and learn something about how society works and how you can benefit from society by actually contributing to it (Charles gave you already a hint by suggestion villain that he could actually get away with it based on your values).

It is you who don't understand shit about how the world works. No one ever obtains anything from contributing to society, as any benefits you get of all your effort will be meaningless compared to the effort you must invest. And, more so, any benefits you will get for all your efforts will be nothing but the lesser form of something that will only reach its full form long after your death. If you understood so much how the world works as you think you would see the actual benefit is in exploiting everything society can give you while focusing all your own resources on yourself and nothing more.

I'll give you a random and extreme example: What will you get out of wasting your entire life, say, trying to cure cancer? Nothing, as all the benefits will be reaped by future generations of sick people. You, thus, wasted your life, as you spent your resources and time doing something you will obtain nothing from. The smart girl, then, lets others waste their lives for her. There will never be a lack of morons trying to better society and the world, you just sit down and dedicate your life to enjoyment and reap the benefits of others wasting their lives in your stead, indirectly as that may be.

And that eternal lack of morons its an evidence to what I just mentioned before: Society, law, morality, etc, is all there only to control those who believe on it in ways that benefit those from whom they originated. Some laws are here to protect you, and some to protect the interests of people who wants to screw you. Some morals are here to protect you, and some morals are here to enslave you. If you don't pick what you want and ignore the rest, you will not be playing with an advantage. They will.

That's the entire point: Laws, rules, morals, etc, aren't made just because they are good. They are made because they would benefit someone's agenda. That doesn't means such agenda is evil, just that thingies aren't made just because. Every single law and rule and moral concept and stuffie and thingie there is, is there because someone wanted to benefit from it. So why should I accept those that don't benefit ME?

It's spiders and flies out there. And the biggest spiders are those behind all those little happy lies and delusions, which they forward because it is useful to them and nothing else. And every single benefit or defense you have against their soul sucking ways is only there because someone though he or she would benefit either directly from it or indirectly by gaining your support.

Following your other comment, meanwhile, have you ever seen the numbers for raped girls before telling me how very much do law and society limit it? Neither work enough as a deterrent, at most only as a very mild punishment. Having a bunch of pretty wild friends that care of you and don't mind sending people who don't know their place for a stay at the I.C.U, with a high chance for chronic wounds that will never heal fully as a bonus, works as both.

But then guys don't really understand how real and common is that inside their pretty modern and civilized society, and how many people gets away with it daily. So, really, don't try to play that card here. And don't try to play any of those cards, really. Have you really seen the realities of most people out there? I am suposed to be the rich spoiled bitch in here, yet you guys are the ones living on a land of fantasy and fairy tales. I'm really dumbfounded right now.

In any case, I can't believe I'm more cynic than you guys. Shouldn't it be the other way around? I am disapoint. KKKodex lied to me!

I leave it at that and wish you the best and really mean it.

:love:

That's fine. I have nothing against you either.

Jack said:
Alignment: Chaotic Evil

I'm chaotic neutral, not chaotic evil. At least that's my version, and I'm sticking with it. Though that long 200 questions quiz they have made me a Chaotic Evil Ranger, though. It's a conspiracy. :(

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Black Cat said:
Following your other comment, meanwhile, have you ever seen the numbers for raped girls before telling me how very much do law and society limit it? Neither work enough as a deterrent, at most only as a very mild punishment. Having a bunch of pretty wild friends that care of you and don't mind sending people who don't know their place for a stay at the I.C.U, with a high chance for chronic wounds that will never heal fully works as a bonus, works as both.

But then guys don't really understand how real and common is that inside their pretty modern and civilized society, and how many people gets away with it daily. So, really, don't try to play that card here. And don't try to play any of those cards, really. Have you really seen the realities of most people out there? I am suposed to be the rich spoiled bitch in here, yet you guys are the ones living on a land of fantasy and fairy tales. I'm really dumbfounded right now.
Hey, why do you bring up such banal crimes like rape here? We're talking about serious, hardcore evil here. Like stealing published photos and depriving developers.

Mortmal

Arcane
wow black cat is on a roll, so much effort to justify pirating an half assed 20$ indie game ..Everyone will forget it when the dreaded 11/11/11 arrives!

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I don't think she's trying to justify anything. This is the codex, where people just argue for the sake of it.

Mortmal

Arcane
Ah! so she won, you guys have to admit it, its a ratio of about 10 well constructed sentences vs 1 , she definitively won the argument.Or at least i see it like that

Wunderpurps

Educated
It seems this so called terrible game is not worth 20 dollars but it's worth 10 hours of certain people's time arguing about why they were justified not to pay the price.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Wunderpurps said:
It seems this so called terrible game is not worth 20 dollars but it's worth 10 hours of certain people's time arguing about why they were justified not to pay the price.
The discussion isn't about downloading this specific game. It isn't even about downloading games in general. It's about principles. Also, I suspect that the 10 hours of the discussion was more challenging and exciting than most of computer games.

Luigi

Barely Literate
Black Cat said:
It is you who don't understand shit about how the world works. No one ever obtains anything from contributing to society, as any benefits you get of all your effort will be meaningless compared to the effort you must invest. And, more so, any benefits you will get for all your efforts will be nothing but the lesser form of something that will only reach its full form long after your death. If you understood so much how the world works as you think you would see the actual benefit is in exploiting everything society can give you while focusing all your own resources on yourself and nothing more.

I'll give you a random and extreme example: What will you get out of wasting your entire life, say, trying to cure cancer? Nothing, as all the benefits will be reaped by future generations of sick people. You, thus, wasted your life, as you spent your resources and time doing something you will obtain nothing from. The smart girl, then, lets others waste their lives for her. There will never be a lack of morons trying to better society and the world, you just sit down and dedicate your life to enjoyment and reap the benefits of others wasting their lives in your stead, indirectly as that may be.

Without a doubt, truly, the dumbest thing I read today.
If you go all Nietzsche-for-children and all kinds of moral relativism, than you compromise your own position, whatever it might be, fundamentally.
Grow some perspective, moronic fatass.

Wunderpurps

Educated
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Wunderpurps said:
The discussion isn't about downloading this specific game. It isn't even about downloading games in general. It's about principles. Also, I suspect that the 10 hours of the discussion was more challenging and exciting than most of computer games.

But I see this discussion for every game so obviously there's lots of people spending a huge amount of time justifying themselves. Which makes me think the "maybe you should just get a fucking job, punk" response may be the most appropriate one.

mondblut

Arcane
It's not at all dumb to read, but yeah, kinda dumb to write. The first rule of Fight Club and all that. Ignore Black Cat. We don't want you to stop seeking a cure for cancer. Please continue. :smug:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Grunker said:
Roguey said:
I find no-bullshit-excuse pirates refreshing because they're honest.

That's such a fucking crap statement honestly, it's been there since the dawn of piracy. Anti-pirates get a kick out of "honest" pirates only because they confirm that "look they're just immoral assholes who steal." That way you don't have to face actual arguments.

So ye, anti-pirates and moral relativist pirates agree because they, well, agree, that piracy is stealing and immoral. But that fact shouldn't result in the I <3 U crap we're seeing.

What I find baffling about it is why exactly anti-pirates likes honest thieves so much more than thieves.

also piracy is not theft
Note: I never used the words theft, or thief in any way.

Also I don't care about whatever little ultimately insignificant self-justifications you have. You're not Henry David Thoreau. You're someone who wants to play certain games without paying for them. That's all.

Black Cat

Magister
@ Wunderpups

I have some perspective, little guy. It is you who doesn't, and I can explain why instead of trying to look cool and then go away without arguments.

If the entire world is so, sure, I'm compromising my own position. But I never said the entire world should be so, and it will never be so. That's the entire point, as you would know if you did read what I wrote: To have many obeying morals and rules while not doing so yourself. Therefore you benefit from them without needing to give anything in exchange.

That I choose to live in such way does not means I believe everyone should do so. The spiders need flies, indeed. Otherwise they attack each other. But that's the fun part: You can talk of this shit openly and most will never come to their senses given they have already made their minds about it and it is much easier to believe they are doing good than to accept they are just being manipulated by the bigger and meaner spiders.

The most, also, react by strenghtening their own convictions in the need of law and goodness. Because, they say, if there's so many people trying to exploit them, evil spiders and parasites, what they need is moar laws and stronger morals. Which means they are really missing the point.

And that's fine with me. The fact they react in such way, however, is the only justification you need. If that wasn't the way of the world, the way of nature, and the way of God they would actually react instead of go Bzzzz and Bzzzz (and Bzzzz). So, indeed, by discussing those thingies openly and seeing the reaction I just justify my own belief on my own ideology, given there's no sin in taking advantage of those who set themselves to be exploited.

"The slaves shall serve" is part of The Law, in the end.

@ Mondblut

:lol:

That's why Mondblut's cool.

However, that's true IRL. But why in a forum full of people you will never meet or, even better, you may actually meet without them, or you, ever being able to tell is you, or them? Naturally one doesn't go around telling people how you will backstab them, manipulate them, exploit them, and drink their entrails. That's the benefit of being online, you can just relax and be yourself instead of always trying to look demure and cute and huggable.

At least I hope most psychos here don't live their lives talking about the thingies they write of in General Discussion. Otherwise the judicial system really needs an overhaul.

Edit: And then there's the people who find bad girls sexy and kinky and stuffies and thingies and actually like you because you are a bitch. At least for a while, then they start getting moralfag attacks and break up with you. Now I'm depressed. :(

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Wunderpurps said:
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Wunderpurps said:

But I see this discussion for every game so obviously there's lots of people spending a huge amount of time justifying themselves. Which makes me think the "maybe you should just get a fucking job, punk" response may be the most appropriate one.
How do you know that they don't have a job already? Also, if you don't want to see people defending themselves, don't attack them.

Roguey said:
Also I don't care about whatever little ultimately insignificant self-justifications you have. You're not Henry David Thoreau. You're someone who wants to play certain games without paying for them. That's all.
You're missing the point here. The problem with the "honest pirate" cult is that they actually have rules against buying stuff that can be gotten for free. Their "honesty" doesn't have any practical value when they don't buy anything from what they have copies, while a person that "makes excuses" bought as much or more than a person that doesn't pirate would.

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Project: Eternity
Black Cat said:
Edit: And then there's the people who find bad girls sexy and kinky and stuffies and thingies and actually like you because you are a bitch. At least for a while, then they start getting moralfag attacks and break up with you. Now I'm depressed. :(

You're closer to seeing the flaws of your system than I first imagined. Best of luck with those growing pains.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom