Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Single-Player Non-Squad FPS's with "realistic"...

...bullet impact. Are there any? Quake 4 and Far Cry tire me with their weightless bullets. It doesn't have to be realistic, just something where you can't unload a machine-gun magazine on a body-armored soldier without any chance of the soldier being thrown on the ground.

DraQ

Arcane
Re: Single-Player Non-Squad FPS's with "realistic"

Paula Tormeson IV said:
Are there any? Quake 4 and Far Cry tire me with their weightless bullets. It doesn't have to be realistic, just something where you can't unload a machine-gun magazine on a body-armored soldier without the soldier being thrown on the ground.
Are you familiar with conservation of momentum?

Discounting involuntary reaction to getting fucked up by them, small arms bullets don't carry sufficient momentum to knock people around.
If the armour is "perfect" - doesn't get penetrated and spreads the force of impact sufficiently to prevent blunt force trauma, then if you can fire it without getting knocked to the ground, you can also generally take it while standing.

The momentum that bullets carry depends greatly on the speed with which they travel.

And you call these "small arms" weapons:
83871625.jpg

350px-M4_1.jpg

Lumpy said:
Paula Tormeson IV said:
The momentum that bullets carry depends greatly on the speed with which they travel.
:lol:
And that's funny because you think it's irrelevant to what DraQ wrote about small bullets not being able to carry enough momentum? How do you know how fast the imaginary machine gun in Quake 4 shoots its bullets? Oh right, you don't even know what you don't know.

DraQ

Arcane
Blah. Blah.

Initial momentum is zero, so the momentum imparted on the shooter (recoil) equals the momentum carried by the bullet.

If the shooter doesn't get knocked to the ground when firing, the momentum of the bullets alone is also insufficient to knock down his target, unless it's a far off-center hit in an already imbalanced position.

If you get knocked around it's more of an effect of damage, pain and shock following BFT or penetration than the momentum of the impacting rounds moving you around.

jiduthie said:
The op has experienced physics fail.
Fails the physics FOREVER.
Fix'd.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
And you noticed just now? you should have checked the Electric Universe thread more often.

Lumpy

Arcane
Paula Tormeson IV said:
Lumpy said:
Paula Tormeson IV said:
And that's funny because you think it's irrelevant to what DraQ wrote about small bullets not being able to carry enough momentum? How do you know how fast the imaginary machine gun in Quake 4 shoots its bullets? Oh right, you don't even know what you don't know.
No, I just found it cute to hear how momentum "varies greatly" with speed, especially from one who claims to hold the ultimate truth in physics etcetera.
But no, you're right, it does vary greatly. It even has a vertical asymptote at c!

DraQ said:
Initial momentum is zero, so the momentum imparted on the shooter (recoil) equals the momentum carried by the bullet.
Yeah yeah, you really think Quake 4 energy weapons don't have a primary recoil reducer?

DraQ said:
If the shooter doesn't get knocked to the ground when firing, the momentum of the bullets alone is also insufficient to knock down his target, unless it's a far off-center hit in an already imbalanced position.
It doesn't have to be "far" off-center in an "already imbalanced position."

Have you ever been hit on the shoulder with anything? It doesn't take much to turn you 180 degrees unless you're waiting for the hit and pusing toward the opposite direction.

Stop waving around your e-dick, and name relevant games with better impact simulation than the two I mentioned.

Lumpy said:
Paula Tormeson IV said:
Lumpy said:
Paula Tormeson IV said:
No, I just found it cute to hear how momentum "varies greatly" with speed, especially from one who claims to hold the ultimate truth in physics etcetera.
But no, you're right, it does vary greatly. It even has a vertical asymptote at c!
Why do you write "varies greatly" in quotation marks as if I had written it? Are you braindead or still trolling?

Lumpy

Arcane
Paula Tormeson IV said:
Lumpy said:
Paula Tormeson IV said:
Lumpy said:
Paula Tormeson IV said:
Why do you write "varies greatly" in quotation marks as if I had written it? Are you braindead or still trolling?
It's the same thing, you moron.

Lumpy said:
Paula Tormeson IV said:
Lumpy said:
Paula Tormeson IV said:
Lumpy said:
Paula Tormeson IV said:
It's the same thing, you moron.
Everything is the same for people with no discrimination.

Make recommendations or ... leave!

Lumpy

Arcane
Okay. I recommend that you shut the fuck up about science given that you are unfamiliar with terms as simple as "directly proportional".

It could work if instead of bullets you used miniature rockets, which accrue additional momentum as they travel. WH40k style and shit.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This thread reminds me of that scene in Rambo 4 where the sniper shoots two of those Asian military guys in the head and they fly at least 20 meters into a corn field, as if they had just been hit by a train.

Jim Cojones said:
I recommend Painkiller.
That sounds superbly interesting. Old-school game-play? Oooh! Castles? Ooooh! Bigger bosses than ever before? Oooohohooooooooooh!

It uses the same physics engine as HL2, right? I gotta admit I haven't played HL2 either.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Yep uses Havoc too. Same as HL2 and Oblivion.

Much more fun than both.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Painkiller is shit. I still can't understand what's so fun about being locked in a 5m x 5m room with infinite respawns of same looking enemies from the exactly same spawn point - must remind some people of their favourite basements or something.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom