Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's don our monocles in Victoria II (Finished)

Let's Play Victoria II

Victoria2boxart.jpg

I think most of you might be familiar with it, but it's a Grand strategy game set in the 19th century and the early 20th century with the game spanning 100 years of time. So in essence, conquer, colonize, research, and industrialize in the goal to become as great a nation as possible.
Since every one else who attempted an LP of this game pretty much quit after their first update I'm going to make an attempt at this my self. I think most of you know pretty much what to expect, so there is essentially only one thing to do before getting started, choosing which prestigious nation to play.

Below is a link to a political map as it is in the game at the start of the game 1836. The names of the states aren't marked but I guess you should be able to name what nation you think should be chosen.
http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo219/CanOmer/V2_Political_1836_Sea.png?t=1281611478

So if any one is interested in this, just make a post with a nation of choice and then we shall let the LP commence. :obviously:

Index of Updates
Update I&II, Page 2
Update III
Update IV
Update V
Update VI
Update VII
Update VIII
Update IX
Update X
Update XI

Cassidy

Arcane
The problem with China is that even after you westernize, you'll be so terribly backwards in army technology that you shouldn't expect it to go that easier either.

Try to conquer the world with China after a communist revolution.

:M

Looks like China is the by far most favored, I'll get started on playing China tomorrow. I have never played an unciv nation previously so I have no idea how this will end, or how I westernize, but It should prove interesting.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
It's perfectly playable, the technical side works well. And what's wrong, you can easily fix yourself. Speaking of which...

Want some of my fixes and mini-mods? British India mod is an absolute must since otherwise India will become the most industrialized area on Earth. And some balancing to Badboy and a buff modifier for non-GPs is a necessity (and rebalancing the Westernization requirements, since some of the calculations like military score are fucked, at least in 1.3 beta), so as to prevent GPs just rolling over everything (what I did was add organization bonuses and a research advantage for land and naval tech plus bonus speed to losing Badboy, if I could be assed I'd make an event triggered modifier that caused ever increasing penalties as your standing army expands over 200, but the AI couldn't work with that so it's off the table).

You'll want to either turn off entirely or nerf mobilization, otherwise you'll end with ridiculous shit (and in lategame, massive slowdowns and even crashes), and turn up the basic casualty ratio in the field to be 100%, with Medicine tech being of extreme value, as will other techs that contribute the now increased values of Military Hospital rating.

Similarly like with British India, you need to nerf Russia or they'll become ahistorically powerful (personally I did this the easy way, by dropping their starting literacy to 1%, decent stopgap measure), but I haven't checked what PopDemand guys have done with their Serf pop type idea yet (the general idea is to force Russia to be literally unable to industrialize and achieve comparative technological advances due to having a super-shit hoi polloi pop type, not without severe rebellions and handicaps elsewhere).

And of course, you should double the production rate for Coal and Timber so countries without domestic access to them aren't helpless (hell, otherwise the precise reason you go conquering in East Asia is BECAUSE you need their fucking coal due to an unrealistic global coal shortage that is present after initial industrialization has been finished in GPs).

I've also got a tiny mod of my own making that fixes Potatoland unification requirements (jesus christ it's fucking impossible without cheating otherwise, due to enormous area you'll need to conquer), and a minor decision that allows for Poles to make Lithuanian Hitmen an accepted culture if they hold Lietuva.

Then there's one that makes the status of Finland historically more accurate, with Finland being a puppet state of Russia (historically autonomous since Peter the Great) with historical Grand Duchy borders (Petsamo belongs to Russia, but the Precious Metal discovery event there won't fire until Finnish ownership), adds in a modifier that gives historical population growth, and a Finnish equivalent of Megali Idea, where if GP and holding all of Karelia Finland can go into full Greater Finland mode and gains cores on Ingria and Estonia (decided against adding ones in Norway and Sweden, due to there being no way to limit the territorial demands and the Swedish accepted culture making it a bit too good of an option). Also added Finnish cores on Karelia (and an event to change the Russian names in the area to Finnish ones, Elsass-Lothringen style, along with a minor economic and population boom due to no longer being a neglected periphery) and fixed the pop cultures there (also added Sami pops to both Finnish Lappland and Russian Lappland, haven't yet added to Sweden). Also included to go with the population boom of the 19th century is an event for the famine that occurred due to it, though it can be avoided by having the right inventions which weren't there historically. Currently planning on setting an event for choosing between a king (in case of independence from Russia, and still HM's Government gubmint type) from Germany, France or Britain (or going full Democracy, which isn't a diplomatic effect like the rest but has other positive effects, since generally you have to be mad in Vicky 2 to give up HM's Government).

I've also got the Canada mod for the game, but haven't tried out a new campaign yet.

PS: I say Greater Sweden, and I'll even provide you with a better monarchist flag for Scandinavia (instead of that fashion disaster red-on-yellow cross) if you liberate Finland and Karelia.

EDIT: Also, I've made a small decision for Ottoman Empire that allows them to relocate their capital to Ankara, can be used either if Greece has used Megali Idea decision, or if it's 1918, or if you've got Nationalism & Imperialism while at war.

Norfleet

Cassidy said:
The problem with China is that even after you westernize, you'll be so terribly backwards in army technology that you shouldn't expect it to go that easier either.
Yes, but on the other hand, you are FREAKING CHINA. You have a MILE WIDE MASS OF ZERGS you can throw at them.

There are really only two outcomes that occur when you play as China: Either you curbstomp the world, or you wind up as Britain's bitch.

I am going to therefore vote against China, having played it before: You either spend a lot of time being bored out of your skull, or curbstomping the world. Occasionally on a bad start you might be the one getting curbstomped, which will at least be interesting to read about, although you may or may not consider this to be a good thing to play as. But mostly, you will spend a LOT of time simply WAITING, either waiting on research, or waiting for whatever thing you stuck your NF on to finish, or both. As an Unciv, you don't get to actually build anything until you civilize, so the first third of the game is just spent WAITING.

Norfleet

Cassidy said:
Try to conquer the world with China after a communist revolution.
Communist revolution is probably one of the best things you can have happen to you in the game, since under Communism, your nation is immune to the constant Communist Rebel Spam, and MAN ARE THOSE THINGS EVER OBNOXIOUS, since they just suddenly appear EVERYWHERE all at once, even in provinces marked with very low revolt risk. If your empire is particularly large, it turns into a micromanagement nightmare just to swat them. If they spawn on the capital, just let them win. Don't fortify the capital for that reason. Then you'll never have to deal with them again. The other rebel forms are either very infrequent or localized to manageable regions.

Vaarna_Aarne said:
It's perfectly playable, the technical side works well. And what's wrong, you can easily fix yourself. Speaking of which...

Want some of my fixes and mini-mods? British India mod is an absolute must since otherwise India will become the most industrialized area on Earth. And some balancing to Badboy and a buff modifier for non-GPs is a necessity (and rebalancing the Westernization requirements, since some of the calculations like military score are fucked, at least in 1.3 beta), so as to prevent GPs just rolling over everything (what I did was add organization bonuses and a research advantage for land and naval tech plus bonus speed to losing Badboy, if I could be assed I'd make an event triggered modifier that caused ever increasing penalties as your standing army expands over 200, but the AI couldn't work with that so it's off the table).

You'll want to either turn off entirely or nerf mobilization, otherwise you'll end with ridiculous shit (and in lategame, massive slowdowns and even crashes), and turn up the basic casualty ratio in the field to be 100%, with Medicine tech being of extreme value, as will other techs that contribute the now increased values of Military Hospital rating.

Similarly like with British India, you need to nerf Russia or they'll become ahistorically powerful (personally I did this the easy way, by dropping their starting literacy to 1%, decent stopgap measure), but I haven't checked what PopDemand guys have done with their Serf pop type idea yet (the general idea is to force Russia to be literally unable to industrialize and achieve comparative technological advances due to having a super-shit hoi polloi pop type, not without severe rebellions and handicaps elsewhere).

And of course, you should double the production rate for Coal and Timber so countries without domestic access to them aren't helpless (hell, otherwise the precise reason you go conquering in East Asia is BECAUSE you need their fucking coal due to an unrealistic global coal shortage that is present after initial industrialization has been finished in GPs).

I've also got a tiny mod of my own making that fixes Potatoland unification requirements (jesus christ it's fucking impossible without cheating otherwise, due to enormous area you'll need to conquer), and a minor decision that allows for Poles to make Lithuanian Hitmen an accepted culture if they hold Lietuva.

Then there's one that makes the status of Finland historically more accurate, with Finland being a puppet state of Russia (historically autonomous since Peter the Great) with historical Grand Duchy borders (Petsamo belongs to Russia, but the Precious Metal discovery event there won't fire until Finnish ownership), adds in a modifier that gives historical population growth, and a Finnish equivalent of Megali Idea, where if GP and holding all of Karelia Finland can go into full Greater Finland mode and gains cores on Ingria and Estonia (decided against adding ones in Norway and Sweden, due to there being no way to limit the territorial demands and the Swedish accepted culture making it a bit too good of an option). Also added Finnish cores on Karelia (and an event to change the Russian names in the area to Finnish ones, Elsass-Lothringen style, along with a minor economic and population boom due to no longer being a neglected periphery) and fixed the pop cultures there (also added Sami pops to both Finnish Lappland and Russian Lappland, haven't yet added to Sweden). Also included to go with the population boom of the 19th century is an event for the famine that occurred due to it, though it can be avoided by having the right inventions which weren't there historically. Currently planning on setting an event for choosing between a king (in case of independence from Russia, and still HM's Government gubmint type) from Germany, France or Britain (or going full Democracy, which isn't a diplomatic effect like the rest but has other positive effects, since generally you have to be mad in Vicky 2 to give up HM's Government).

I've also got the Canada mod for the game, but haven't tried out a new campaign yet.

PS: I say Greater Sweden, and I'll even provide you with a better monarchist flag for Scandinavia (instead of that fashion disaster red-on-yellow cross) if you liberate Finland and Karelia.

EDIT: Also, I've made a small decision for Ottoman Empire that allows them to relocate their capital to Ankara, can be used either if Greece has used Megali Idea decision, or if it's 1918, or if you've got Nationalism & Imperialism while at war.

Well I have to say that British India does sound interesting, Britain having ten fold as much troops an industry as other great powers by late game just feel a bit much.

Whats the deal with casualty ratio though? I guess It would increase battlefield losses? Or have a greater impact on the population? Though as far as mobilization goes I haven't had any problems with slow downs really. (playing 1.3)

Norfleet said:
There are really only two outcomes that occur when you play as China: Either you curbstomp the world, or you wind up as Britain's bitch.

Britain's bitch eh?

This is the first part of the LP, I experimented a bit with image size and quality and I found this to be an acceptable format. However it can be changed for future updates if you find them to large or low quality to read the text properly.

V2_1.jpg

Welcome to China, compared to the western world it may be losing ground compared to it's rapid technological advances, we do however still have one advantage. A huge population of nearly 100 million adult males and a total pop of about 400 million.

V2_2.jpg

The nearby nations of Siam and Burma offers us alliances, as we have currently no interest in any of their territory we accept. Though their potential use as allies is dubious as best.

V2_3.jpg

A look at the Chinese population, interestingly enough the Primary culture is Manchu which is a tiny minority of the total population, however the largest pop group Beifaren are an accepted culture.
The majority of the people follow the Mahayana religion, but there are some religious minorities in the isolated western provinces.

V2_4.jpg

Technologically however we are behind the west, and progressing at a slow pace as well.

V2_5.jpg

Certain intellectuals believe we should embrace the ways of the west, but the traditional ways are strongly rooted and it's a long way there even if we strive for it constantly.

V2_7.jpg

As a first small step towards westernization we aim for Freedom of Trade, which could potentially be greatly beneficial.

V2_8.jpg

A look at the current budget. An educated workforce is a key to success so the education budget is increased as far as the current income will allow while keeping a positive cash flow. Today only 7% of the population is literate, hopefully that will increase greatly in the future.

V2_9.jpg

To further speed up education people are encouraged to become clergy men in the capital district since the clergy are responsible for education.

V2_10.jpg

The Korean State is of a decent size and is densely populated, as well as having many valuable natural resources. Since their army is greatly inferior to the Chinese one there is no reason to let them continue their current independence.

V2_11.jpg

A look at the production of good in China. Despite having no industry it has a great total production thanks to it's huge work force.

V2_12.jpg

Forward to glory!

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Casualty ratio is the amount of casualties pops suffer from battle and attrition casualties. The standard one is absurdly low, so it's better to set it to 33% (1 soldier pop = 3 on the field) without tech to alleviate.

And I still say a China LP will be a boring one. If you Westernize, China will curbstomp EVERYONE due to have outrageously good industrial resources and more population than most GPs have put together. It doesn't matter if you have inferior units when you just have a 10x numbers advantage. Hell, China is the easy mode for Unciv stage as well, having such a massive population that taxes alone mean money is no problem.

Nex

Cipher
DarthBehemoth said:
Screen are a bit too large, maybe resize them to 1024x768 or something?

BTW good Lp so far :thumbsup:

Don't, they are good as they are.

Kashmir Slippers

Magister
Yeah, the images are a bit large. I don't like having to scroll laterally to see the entire screenshot, but it isn't that big of a deal.

I'm interested to see how you will fare. I normally see the UK jump on China within the first month or so in my games.

Humppaleka

Cipher
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Then there's one that makes the status of Finland historically more accurate, with Finland being a puppet state of Russia (historically autonomous since Peter the Great)... Also added Finnish cores on Karelia... Currently planning on setting an event for choosing between a king (in case of independence from Russia, and still HM's Government gubmint type) from Germany, France or Britain...

:salute:

Have you uploaded that stuff anywhere? Could use some of them, sound great.

Ok thanks Vaarna, I've played around a bit with the game and I've still got a bunch of concepts that I don't fully grasp the mechanics of yet. Some are fairly straight forward and obvious yet others are rather abstract. Say military tactics, techs that improve it obviously improve combat performance in some way, but in exactly what way and how much? And so forth.

V2_13.jpg

Meanwhile issues arise with the one of the armies stationed in territory mainly inhabited by a cultural minority.

V2_14.jpg

The Koreans sit back and are not showing any signs of aggression, understandable considering their considerable numerical inferiority. The 10th army is sent into Korean territory for what will be the first battle of the war.

V2_15.jpg

While there is a lack of competent officers capable of leading a larger force such as this effectively the Koreans also suffer from the same issue fortunately.

V2_16.jpg

The battle results in victory, though a costly one. However with the great size of the Chinese army this shouldn't be an issue.

V2_17.jpg

A second army made up of professional soldiers is sent to follow the enemy army.

V2_18.jpg

Reinforcements arrive from the North East as well.

V2_19.jpg

Another victory, though when losing half one force to gain it is quite a Pyrrhic victory.

V2_20.jpg

Meanwhile some where else a rich gold deposit is found. Interestingly enough the Chinese enjoy whiskey.

V2_21.jpg

The first proper general is now available, he is over all competent even though he has some weaknesses.

V2_22.jpg

A small force attempting to occupy an enemy territory is attacked by a more than twice as large Korean force, and reinforcements are sent in.

V2_23.jpg

Despite being greatly outnumbered the Chinese force manages to drive off the attackers.

V2_25.jpg

Some how a medium sized Korean force has managed to to get into Chinese territory, an army is sent to deal with it. Another army is sent to deal with the retreating Koreans.

V2_27.jpg

The southern battle results in victory and Chinese forces are in pursuit of the Korean army to finish it off before it can head south to reinforce and reorganize.

V2_28.jpg

The battle weary Koreans quickly surrender to Guan Teimei, he is proving him self quite a capable commander.

V2_31.jpg

The battle to the North is also won after a fairly short but bloody fight.

V2_32.jpg

Apparently some irrelevant far away nation has gone bankrupt and is fact owing China some money.

V2_35.jpg

Though the amount is only a few pounds so it's deemed not worth the effort to go to war over it. These foreigners can count them selves lucky.
Due to further improvement of the economy the education budget is further increased to the maximum amount considered reasonable.

V2_37.jpg

The Chinese school system is quite heavily in favor of the clearly superior Manchu people, and some minorities are becoming quite upset over this. Even these minorities may at times come with useful ideas and innovations so some slight concessions are made in order to further this.

V2_39.jpg

Another one of these pathetic foreign nations go bankrupt, once again the amount of money owed is such a insignificant amount that it's not worth bothering over.

V2_41.jpg

While Chinese forces are busy occupying northern Korea the Koreans have trained fresh forces in a desperate attempt to stave of defeat. They are lured into battle by a small force on the front lines which was quickly reinforced once they were locked in battle.

V2_44.jpg

Having easily defeated the freshly recruited and poorly organized troops the 1st army is sent after them in order to finish them.

V2_49.jpg

After a couple of minor battles Guan Tiemei has them worn down to just a couple of thousand remaining men, the rest having either died, surrendered or fled.

V2_51.jpg

In the Battle of Ichon the last Korean forces are defeated.

V2_52.jpg

Now all that remains is to occupy the rest of Korea before it can be incorporated into glorious China.

V2_53.jpg

More tea is always useful, it's decided to stockpile it for future use. One never know when it might be needed, after all as
Confucius said, The cautious seldom err.

V2_54.jpg

The Hakka people are proving to be quite the nuisance. After much consideration shutting down the bank appeared the best choice.

V2_56.jpg

All of mainland Korea is now occupied, however the Korean leadership sitting on the island of Cheju continue to be defiant and refuse to surrender even though their defeat is certain.

V2_58.jpg

While ships are built to carry an army to finally finish of the the Koreans the newly implemented trade policy is proving quite useful. Perhaps these western ways have some merit.

V2_59.jpg

Next project is to investigate the possibilities of private banks.

V2_60.jpg

Elsewhere the British Empire is expanding.

V2_61.jpg

Should they take the region we will share a land border with the British Empire which may prove potentially dangerous considering their aggressive expansionist ways.

V2_62.jpg

It is perhaps no surprise that they force to the Panjab state to agree to their demands after a short war.

V2_63.jpg

Back at home the Island of Cheju has finally been occupied and Korean resistance is at an end.

V2_64.jpg

Korea is annexed and becomes a part of China, clearly they will be better of this way under enlightened Chinese rule.

V2_65.jpg

Korea may be densely populated but with the great total population of China the Koreans make up a mere 2% of the total population.

V2_66.jpg

Chinese cotton is some of the best in the world, in a great display of generosity we send some to Spain.

V2_70.jpg

The Koreans are proving a troublesome lot, but local police disperse the troublemakers before they can cause any damage to speak off.

V2_72.jpg

Being less populated than the rest of China a great wave of immigration to the Korean provinces follows shortly after the integration into the Chinese state.

V2_73.jpg

The concept of private banks is also proving to be quite useful, but Chinese leadership are some what confused when scholars try to explain to them the relationship between cement production and banks.

V2_74.jpg

Next is the development of a publishing industry, apparently westerners publish their written word on clothes, most confusing.

V2_75.jpg

Then suddenly the devious British declare war on us, and the traitorous Japan and Siam forsake their alliance with us. This will not be forgotten soon.

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
looks like your about to be cut-down to size :smug:

cool LP :thumbsup:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom