Visit our sponsors! (or click here and disable ads)
Pillars of Eternity II Fig Update #57: Patch 3.1
Game News - posted by Infinitron on Fri 26 October 2018, 02:19:48Tags: Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire
The next Pillars of Eternity II expansion doesn't come out until December, but the game's content roadmap promised various additional updates before then. Those updates were released today in the form of the surprisingly extensive Patch 3.1. As specified in the roadmap, there are two new god challenge modes and a Colossal Ooze mega-boss (don't try to grapple it). The patch also includes a variety of elaborate new features, such as premade characters and a Tyranny-esque Spell Shaping ability for casters. I'll post the executive summary from the accompanying Fig update, but you can read the full patch notes here.
The patch is live! Some of the highlights of Update 3.1 include:
- UI Simplifications
- Ship UI will now be hidden until you can access your ship
- More options for auto-hiding elements of the HUD
- Spell Shaping
- Available for Wizard, Druid, Priest, and Chanter classes; this passive ability allows spell casters to adjust the radius of certain AoE spells to increase the power level or area that the spell can reach
- Magran's Fire Difficulty Additions
- All Challenges can now be done on any difficulty in the game! Play through with new challenges for a new, interesting game experience
- New Berath's Blessings
- ...Can I Pet Him Anyway?
- The time has come, friends... Edér can now equip a pet
- Infamous Past
- Gain the Infamous Captain passive ability and live the life of someone who has survived a mutiny
- ...Can I Pet Him Anyway?
- Premade Characters
- Characters can now be imported to use on various playthroughs through Deadfire. Characters can be chosen in character creation, or by visiting taverns and recruiting them as Adventurers
Berath's Blessings weren't the only thing to get some additions in this patch. Two new challenges have been added with the 3.1 update.
- Hylea - Vela is rather attached to the Watcher and won't leave your side, the poor thing, so it's up to you to protect her. If you don't, the game ends!
- Rymrgand - Food will start to expire! Foods like hard tack will expire more slowly, but you should still stay vigilant and ensure a supply of fresh food!
A new Mega Boss can now be challenged! This colossal Ooze is prepared to face some of the strongest teams that dare brave it! Can you discover it's location and take on this fierce enemy?
As for what comes next, it appears that Obsidian have altered their plans. There was originally supposed to another mega-boss this month and an additional two in November. One of those mega-bosses appears to have been axed and the other two have been postponed to December and beyond. The upside is that there now appears to be an additional planned god challenge mode for Woedica, apparently scheduled for release after the final expansion. That'll be Patch 4.1, presumably. I have to say that Obsidian don't seem to be treating Pillars II like a game that commercially disappointed. Perhaps it's what you can expect from a company that knows it's about to receive a huge payday anyway...