Visit our sponsors! (or click here and disable ads)
Dark Envoy is a steampunkish non-linear turn-based tactical RPG from the makers of Tower of Time
Game News - posted by Infinitron on Tue 6 August 2019, 19:28:06Tags: Dark Envoy; Event Horizon
Last year, a Polish indie studio by the name of Event Horizon released a real-time-with-pause isometric dungeon crawler called Tower of Time. That's not the kind of thing you'd think the Codex would be interested in, but apparently it was quite good. In fact, it did well enough that they're now making another isometric tactical RPG, and this time it's turn-based so we'll give it our full attention. The game is called Dark Envoy, and it's described by the developers as a "non-linear RPG with free world exploration" inspired by Divinity, XCOM and Dragon Age. It's set in a steampunk-flavored fantasy world where technology clashes with magic. Here's the announcement trailer and an excerpt from the game's Steam page:
Dark Envoy is a non-linear RPG inspired by the likes of the Divinity series, XCOM, FTL, Mass Effect, and Dragon Age to offer free world exploration with an emphasis on tactical combat layered with lore and strategy. A continuation of Event Horizon’s attempt, which began with the studio’s debut title Tower of Time, to shatter long-standing RPG tropes and to create something unique in the process.
Explore the world using your Skyship, it is your base of operations after all. Hunt for mythical locations, and procedurally generated dungeons with optional tactical objectives. Choose wisely where to travel however, as the world map adjusts with the passing of in-game time. Locations will randomly respawn, becoming progressively more challenging to travel for you and your party.
- Non-linear RPG with turn-based combat accompanied by a real time pre-combat phase where tactics and party power are equally important.
- Player choices impact the world: it can be destroyed or saved, and the stories that unfold will lead to multiple endings reflecting the characters’ personalities and decisions.
- Co-written by Michael Chatfield, an Amazon Top 100 Science Fiction / Fantasy writer (specializing in litRPG genre).
- 15 unique character classes to discover - with the ability to mix skill trees - including some rare classes which can only be found in remote locations or through chained quests.
- New RPG system, promoting experimentation and requiring frequent adaptation to the new challenges.
- Can be played solo, two player co-op, as well as a unique mode called Player vs World where Player 2 acts as the final boss seeking to destroy Player 1 before he/she becomes too powerful.
- High-replayability factor due to large pool of quests, local, and world events. One cannot uncover all of the content in a single playthrough.