Visit our sponsors! (or click here and disable ads)
Fallout et tu lets you play Fallout in the Fallout 2 engine
Mod News - posted by Infinitron on Mon 3 February 2020, 23:17:30Tags: Fallout; Fallout 2; Fallout et tu
We don't often post news about mods these days, but this is one we couldn't pass up. The modding community at No Mutants Allowed has been tinkering with the original Fallout engine for two decades, but one thing they somehow never got around to making was a BGT-style mod that would allow playing Fallout 1 in the improved Fallout 2 engine. Last July a group of experienced modders led by Lexx decided to finally do something about that. Yesterday they unveiled the release version of what they're calling Fallout et tu. In addition to importing Fallout into the Fallout 2 engine, it also implements many of the expected bell and whistles that modders have added to Fallout 2 itself over the years. Here are the details:
Fallout et tu
A Fallout to Fallout 2 engine conversion (also called Fallout 1@2, 1at2, or 1in2) brought to you by Rotators (the people who made FOnline: 2238 and stuff).
The aim of this project is to bring the first Fallout game into the engine of the second while utilizing Fallout 2's features wherever we can (within reason). Generally we do not try to make a 1:1 copy of the first game. So, if you want to play the 100% real deal, the very pure experience so to speak, you should grab the original Fallout 1 instead of this mod.
However, if you do not mind the one or the other change in mechanics, then Fallout et tu can be your way to go!
- Replicates Fallout 1 in 2 almost 1:1.
- Comes with the Hero Appearance mod integrated (Bald Dude, Long Hair Dude, Punk Girl).
- Selected Fallout 2 weapons have been added (sparingly!) to the game world in ways that don't break the game balance.
- Fallout 2 styled merchant inventory restocking (Optional).
- Party members and generic NPCs can be pushed out of the way.
- Party members level up and change their appearance based on worn armor.
- Party members can be controlled in combat (Optional).
- Automatic door opening and closing (Optional).
- Traverse the wastes on your very own motorcycle (Optional)!
- Continue playing after the main story has been completed (Optional).
- Lots of bugfixes, making the game run more stable than even the original with patches.
This project is a more accessible modding platform and allows the creation of complex modifications, which wouldn't be possible with the engine of the first game!
I expect that Fallout et tu will become the recommended way of playing Fallout 1, superseding Fallout FIXT and the old TeamX patches. You can grab it at No Mutants Allowed or directly from its Github page.