Visit our sponsors! (or click here and disable ads)
Ultimate ADOM - Caverns of Chaos now available on Early Access
Game News - posted by Infinitron on Fri 19 February 2021, 15:52:57Tags: Team ADOM; Thomas Biskup; Ultimate ADOM - Caverns of Chaos
Ultimate ADOM - Caverns of Chaos, dungeon crawling successor to the classic roguelike ADOM, was released on Steam Early Access yesterday after a slight delay. In the weeks after the original launch date was announced, the developers spent some time trying to sell the game to skeptical fans of the original in a series of blog posts about its skill system, mechanical complexity and lack of an overworld. But the most effective apologia for Caverns of Chaos yet might be the Q&A with ADOM creator Thomas Biskup released alongside the game's Early Access launch trailer. I'll post both videos here alongside the accompanying press release:
Wiesbaden, Germany - 18th February, 2020. Publisher Assemble Entertainment and developer Team ADOM are excited to welcome players back to the world of Ancardia with Ultimate ADOM - Caverns of Chaos, available today for Windows PC, Mac, and Linux via Steam Early Access. A sequel 25 years in the making, Ultimate ADOM takes everything players love about traditional roguelikes — procedurally developed levels, random enemy encounters, tons of skills, and a ridiculous amount of build varieties and playstyles — but with modern sensibilities like multiple graphics options, intuitive controls, and a slick presentation.
The original ADOM was a groundbreaking title that set the standard for dungeon crawler roguelike games, and Caverns of Chaos is bringing those ideas to the 21st century with a host of awesome new features that take advantage of modern hardware. In this latest trailer, the man behind it all, Thomas Biskup, details the Early Access launch and shines a light on the 25-year history behind the ADOM series.
“It’s really a treat to bring players back to the world of ADOM,” said Assemble Entertainment CEO Stefan Marcinek. “The genre has seen a bit of a renaissance over the last few years and we’re very proud to help Team ADOM bring this highly anticipated sequel to life and share it with a whole new generation of players.”
“We’re all extremely excited to welcome players new and old back to the world of ADOM,” said Thomas Biskup, Creator of ADOM. “We know what players loved about the original title in 1994 but also what players are looking for from their games in 2021. Ultimate ADOM - Caverns of Chaos is the perfect blend of tried and tested mechanics and the quality and depth of contemporary titles.”
Since the events of the first game, the big bad known as Andor Drakon has been seemingly vanquished and Ancardia is still struggling with the cataclysmic aftermath of Andor’s defeat. Unfortunately, power abhors a vacuum, and seven factions are now scrambling to be the new top dog. While they bicker with each other, however, a new evil begins to stir below the surface. It’s up to you to head down into the aptly named Caverns of Chaos to investigate these ominous rumblings and keep things from getting out of hand. Dust off your spellbook, grab your favorite cloak, and maybe graft a new arm to your body so you can hold another weapon — you’re going to need it.
Key Features of Ultimate ADOM Include -
- Every Run is Different — Thanks to a staggering variety of skills, spells, classes, and factions, players can enjoy the challenge of Ultimate ADOM with a nearly-endless selection of build combinations
- Read the Limb Loaning Agreement — Let nothing go to waste! Collect the severed body parts of your defeated foes and graft them onto your own body. As the old saying goes, two heads are better than one — especially when they’re attached to the same body!
- Secret Menu Options — Players can combine more than 380 skills in 25 skill trees to create the ultimate dungeon-delving death dealer...but wait, there’s more! Ultimate ADOM provides extra options for the discerning warrior with a host of secret skills to add even more depth to the build varieties.
- Multiple Methods for Magic Mastery — Swords are fun, but summoning demons, charming enemies, and flinging balls of fiery death is even better. With more than 80 spells available spread throughout several different schools of magic, aspiring sorcerers have their work cut out for them.
- Keep Things Old School — Hardcore genre purists will be pleased to know that Ultimate ADOM can be played in classic ASCII format, and can even toggle between 3D mode and top-down view
Assemble Entertainment is also offering a “Save the World” Edition for Ultimate ADOM - Caverns of Chaos that contains bonus wallpapers and the original soundtrack! In keeping with the game’s theme of battling corruption, for every “Save the World Edition" sold, Assemble will donate 10% of the proceeds to the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC). The "Save the World Edition" is available on Steam for £27.49 with the 15% launch discount.