Visit our sponsors! (or click here and disable ads)
Chris Avellone Interview Podcast at 8-Bit Radio
Interview - posted by Infinitron on Sat 7 June 2014, 13:13:18Tags: Chris Avellone; Obsidian Entertainment
It looks like Chris Avellone is back to his podcasting ways, this time with a 35 minute interview for a show called "8-Bit Radio". It's a general interview that doesn't focus on any one game in particular. The most interesting part is the reveal that Chris is the Creative Lead of a game currently in development at Obsidian. He also reveals later on that they're currently developing three original IP games, and since we know he's not the Creative Lead for Pillars of Eternity or Armored Warfare, that means he must be working on the third, secret project.
Other highlights of the interview include:
- A short discussion about Chris' roleplaying preferences and pet peeves. He's a GURPS man! Also, he wouldn't mind playing a tabletop game with Todd Howard, Tim Cain, Warren Spector and Ken Levine.
- The usual talk about the IPs Chris would like to work with.
- Some reminiscing about Van Buren and the factions in Fallout: New Vegas.
- A list of content Chris wishes he had could have added to some of his past games if he had the time.
- Some game design advice. Freedom of choice, thematic coherence, and making the player care.
- Chris' favorite RPGs. Wasteland, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 6 (which he insists on calling "Final Fantasy 3") and Baldur's Gate 2. He also liked the first KOTOR, and thinks System Shock 2 could have been a great RPG if it had some more choices and interactions.
- Chris' view of the decline of RPGs(!). He dislikes quest compasses, multiplatform development and excessive voice acting.
- The usual talk about the advantages of Kickstarter.