Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex GOTY 2023: Results & Cool Graphs

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Tags: GOTY 2023

Beat the drama drums, it's time for the RPG Codex best RPGs of 2023!

This is our second year going back to a Codex-only vote, on a 1-5 scale. In total, we had 430 votes (as opposed to 364 last year), voting on 162 RPGs (157 last year).

For those of you who just want the TL;DR, here are the winners:

RPG CODEX'S 2023 GOTYs:
#1 - Jagged Alliance 3
#2 - Baldur's Gate 3
#3 - Colony Ship: A Post-Earth Role Playing Game

For the full results and fancy graphs, just follow this link: RPG Codex GOTY 2023: Results & Cool Graphs

Ladonna

Arcane
"It was as if a million fans cried out in butthurt, and were suddenly silenced"

iu

Humanophage

Arcane
I enjoyed JA3 and gave it 5/5, but in truth it is too easy and it's more like 4/5. It will need mods to become genuinely enjoyable. On the other hand, Colony Ship is good the way it is in terms of combat, although I wish it was more fleshed out in other respects like the oddly empty late areas (despite all the expensive work like location design).

Really looking forward to Rogue Trader once it gets fixed. It seems like an epic detailed game that improves on writing and plot relative to other Owlcat games.

I am also looking forward to Six Ages 2: Lights Going Out, but I expect it to be quite small and short.

For some reason, not that excited about BG3, even though I am a big fan of BG1 and even BG2 (but not ToB). Maybe it's just the inner contrarian speaking as it does seem to have reactivity and it appears to be a genuine effort to make a good game. I'm just not into cinematic stuff and the romances.

raeven

Educated
After all the bitching and butthurt about BG3's victory being 'inevitable', I am *very* curious to see how the codex spins this result into somehow still proving the inevitable decline of all things grognard.

In all seriousness though, congrats to JA3 - it's a worthy entry in a venerated franchise and I had a ton of fun with it.

raeven

Educated
I enjoyed JA3 and gave it 5/5, but in truth it is too easy and it's more like 4/5.

They just released the final update to the game this month that introduces a bunch of optional rules to make the game harder. I'm giving it a go now. Still a bit on the easy side even with everything cranked up, but it's a big improvement.

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
So the #2 in our GOTY list was Baldur's Gate III. It was a close call, a difference of 0,02 points. Possibly related to 41 people giving BG3 a 1/5 score because they dislike bears or something.... we'll never know.
I am now regretting not having given JA3 a 1/5 based on not liking the trailer. I'm putting a note in my calendar to come back and get revenge on JA4 in 24 years. It's nice to see that Caves of Lore and Space Wreck did well though.

Last edited:

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
JA3 won with BG3? Well, I'm surprised, it's not even an RPG but a tactical game. Anyway, so be it. Colony Ship deserves third place. I am surprised by such low score for Moonring and especially Islands of the Caliph. Honestly, Caliph deserved fourth or so place, and I don't even like dungeon crawlers in general.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom