Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I still to this day, re-play Redemption every couple of years or so. It's got some good, and it certainly has it's bad. Overall, it was still an enjoyable experience. But I think the reason I like it, is that it is only 1 or 2 games using the VtM setting, which I enjoy a lot.

SolipsisticUrge

Educated
I bought this from GoG a while back (think it was on sale at the time and had piqued my interest due to my feverish Bloodlines adoration), have yet to start it up. It just sits as a shortcut on my desktop, quietly whispering baffling inanities to me, gradually eroding my sanity until I finally succumb and set out on a ritualistic quest to make an ice sculpture of my Telvanni mage tower out of Pete Hines' frozen blood.

I suppose I should actually play it...

Lesifoere

Liturgist
heeeey guys

vampirethemasqueradered.jpg

Topher

Cipher
I had some fun with it years ago but I remember turning on god mode about half-way through because I got bored with the dungeons, they are just chock full of boring filler combat and each one only has a few enemy types.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
At a certain point you get to kill jews. That's a plus.

I stand by my opinion - it is not a bad game, rather mediocre. Has a lot of faults but then again it also honestly tried some new things (how many role-playing games do transition to totally different era halfway?).

People who say that is shit simply haven't played enough really shitty RPGs...

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
The first part is better than the second part. When you shoot a fucking bazooka on vampires head and it doesn't die, you know someone fucked up in testing. Play only if you like Diablo or similar and got a hard-on for vampires. Or if you really liked Lionheart :D

Heresiarch

Prophet
It got some interesting things and some REALLY bad things. I played it after finishing Bloodlines for what, the 3rd time, so I expected something similar, but whoa, how wrong I was. Though it do have some things worth to mention. Spoilah ahead. But who cares since no one is going to play it anyway.

In one instance you're required to dodge the sunlight. Pretty interesting because I've never seen the sunlight during Bloodlines except for the final battle.

The combat is SHITTY SHITTY SHITTY. Draining blood is insanely slow. And the filler combat is HORRENDOUS. The worst part is the dungeon filled with the Egyptian vampire clan. The stupid techno-Egyptian music, mixed with tons of filler vampires dressed in Old Kingdom style, had nearly driven me insane.

On the other hand, using the miniguns to mow down stuff was pretty fun. I remember the minigun in it was pretty fun to use, even more than Syndicate.

There's two battles which were interesting. One was the final battle. The other was a sudden werewolf ambush. I remember it annihilated my whole party in a dozen seconds.

The factory in which human bodies are being processed was pretty well designed.

The voice acting was terrible.

The worst of the worst thing is, the hot vampire chick during the medieval period, just disappeared during the transition. Damn I like that chick, and I was so sad when the game just make a companion disappear without any explanation.

xemous

Arcane
one of the best games i've played in my life. those who disagree lack vision.
bloodlines betrays redemption. bloodlines is a soulless game missing the key human element. love.

the developers are doing nothing interesting it's another 21st century colossal crime against the species, dare i say, friends and comrades, how much more can we humans endure?

it can be purchased from gog.com i highly recommend it.

I played the demo of this and really enjoyed it for what it was (a slasher action game with quite a wide range of abilities and weapons and characters and such). The mechanics were mostly the weakest part of it (hack&slash), and what really grabbed my attention was the music, visual style, the setting, which were unique among the typical fantasy settings I had seen at the time

laclongquan

Arcane
xemous said:
one of the best games i've played in my life. those who disagree lack vision.
bloodlines betrays redemption. bloodlines is a soulless game missing the key human element. love.

the developers are doing nothing interesting it's another 21st century colossal crime against the species, dare i say, friends and comrades, how much more can we humans endure?

it can be purchased from gog.com i highly recommend it.

Another example of the innate madness of kangaroomen.

I dont know why. The sun and the emptiness of the land drive them crazy from conception?

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
KalosKagathos said:
It's a Diablo clone.

With RTwP.

And a plot about lusting.

And a script imitating Olde Englishe.

Avoid.
In other words, it could have been a Bioware game. Except less gay.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
I've played it twice and just to let you know, the second playthrough took longer than my FF7 let's play. The soundtrack is good though.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Heresiarch said:
The worst of the worst thing is, the hot vampire chick during the medieval period, just disappeared during the transition. Damn I like that chick, and I was so sad when the game just make a companion disappear without any explanation.
This bothered me too.

Many underdeveloped ideas in this game,a pity.
Play only f you love drama and don't mind mediocre gameplay.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Andyman Messiah said:
I've played it twice and just to let you know, the second playthrough took longer than my FF7 let's play.

How's that even possible?

Haven't played this one; I'm curious about how the writing goes. I'm not expecting a PS:T / VtmB story-driven game, but it strikes me that much of the point of having a vampire mythology crpg is lost if the writing/plot is basically Diablo with vampires. If it's a 'pure' dungeon-crawler, where the plot is just there as a token explanation for 'hey look here, there's all these dudes to kill!' , then it's a bit of a pointless use of the setting/licence. Any comments on that aspect?

Silellak

Cipher
Andyman Messiah said:
I've played it twice and just to let you know, the second playthrough took longer than my FF7 let's play. The soundtrack is good though.
The Codex should adopt a review rating scale based on the number of playthroughs the reviewer completed.

Less than one: Shit.
One: Banal.
Two: Boring.
Three: Good for what it is.
Four: Even better for what it is.
Five: Andyman-approved.
Six: Best RPG since <Codex Favorite>
Seven: Skyway-approved.
More than seven: I plastered my room with jizz.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Lesifoere said:
Andyman Messiah said:
I've played it twice and just to let you know, the second playthrough took longer than my FF7 let's play.

How's that even possible?

Because I was playing FF7.

And also because this is not a game I wanted to finish. It's shit. Shitty games take time to play, especially if there are better games on the plate too.

Azrael the cat said:
Haven't played this one; I'm curious about how the writing goes. I'm not expecting a PS:T / VtmB story-driven game, but it strikes me that much of the point of having a vampire mythology crpg is lost if the writing/plot is basically Diablo with vampires. If it's a 'pure' dungeon-crawler, where the plot is just there as a token explanation for 'hey look here, there's all these dudes to kill!' , then it's a bit of a pointless use of the setting/licence. Any comments on that aspect?
"Oh fair Anezka, I long to see you again, but I am a horrible beast of the night. How can I even live with myself?"

With a whole bunch of thees and thous. I wasn't impressed.

Phelot

Arcane
Azrael the cat said:

There's a lot of dialogue if that's what you're asking. Yes, it's pretty stupid most of the time, especially with the whole love plot, but some of it is quite good.

Honestly, I haven't played it in so long, I really should give it another go.

As above, the writing is pretty funny, but I like it better then most eXtreme talk we see today... though I forget what the modern era dialogue was like

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Azrael the cat said:

Look at the screenshot I posted, my feline friend.

Angthoron

Arcane
Azrael the cat said:
Any comments on that aspect?

It's fairly cringe-worthy, though I guess if you'd slap on "BioWare" on the box and claim it was written by David Gaider in the same style, it would be a 10/10 and a GotY.

denizsi

Arcane
Terribadness of writing somewhat dissipates after fast forwarding to 20th c. but then the gameplay becomes even worse. Shittier firearms mechanics, retarded AI, grind and 20th c. environments in 3D are as dull and boring as they come.

Eyeball

Arcane
The "Oh fair Anezka" writing is overdone, but it is made better by the way your fellow companions in the game tend to tell you "Dude, you gotta get over this Anezka chick - and what's with the Shakespeare accent, this is fucking 20th century New York!", and it sort of contrasts with the stuck-up fake piety and self-deception of a vampire who still clings to the meaningless chivalry of his former life despite having become an unholy mockery of everything he once believed in.

Christoph becomes less of a homofag once you reach the modern ages.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom