Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGCodex list of most enjoyable games

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Fallout
Fallout 2
GTA: Vice City
Jagged Alliance 2
Half-Life
StarCraft
KOTOR

Dr.Faust

Liturgist
Pelvis Knot said:
Demnogonis Saastuttaja said:
herostratus said:
There's a pretty striking lack of RPGs on these lists...

Because RPG's aren't such a good genre. Many of even the best have too much tiresome shit.

This. To put it simply, RPG as a genre have below average GAMEPLAY, and in the end, gameplay is the single most important part of games.

What a load of bullshit. I for one happen to enjoy the gameplay in RPGs, stats and dice rolls included.

Or did I just get trolled? Feels like I did.

No, you just missed the point, Doctor.

I think it is pretty clear that just about everyone here enjoys the gameplay in RPGs. But generally not in the same satisfying way as a good strategy game for example.

The RPG genre (for all manner of reasons) really does fall short in the mechanical aspects across the board. Almost all RPGs rely very heavily on other things such as graphics, story, characters, setting and such in order to compensate for the core weaknesses, and it is very apparent in replayability.

You can replay many RPGs and enjoy the replay, but rarely in the same satisfying mechanical way as a good strategy game, even for the best of RPGs.

Not a universal opinion, but a pretty common one, as evidenced by the lists in this thread.

Rogue

Educated
1. Fallout
2. Baldur's Gate
3. Fallout 2
4. Baldur's Gate 2
5. Neverwinter Nights 2
6. Call of Duty Black Ops
7. Killing Floor

Nael

Arcane
1. Morrowind
2. Might and Magic III
3. Wizardry 8
4. Doom
5. VtM: Bloodlines
6. Rainbow Six: Raven Shield
7. Fallout 3 (My list needed some derp)

ZbojLamignat

Educated
Most of the lists seem to just be "my top7" but I'll say fuck it and name games that I enjoyed despite them being flawed or not that great objectively.

1) Heroes of Might and Magic II - the balance was all fucked up but I played the living shit out of this game for a long, long time and it will always have a special place in my heart despite III being so much better.
2) Beasts and Bumpkins - something between a simple tycoon and a simple rts, yet I somehow loved this game and dropped everything else when I got my hands on it
3) Carmaggedon - don't think I have to explain this one?
4) Quake - I'm not an fps man and if I made a top20 list there would be no pure fps on it, but i really liked the first Quake. Especially for its atmosphere that tells all the modern faggy story and character driven "shooters" to suck it.
5) Singstar - good memories from all the parties and I met a few hawt bitches thanks to this "game".
6) Buzz - great fun if you have friends + beer
7) Baldurs Gate II - yeah, shit story, boring character progression, lame combat mechanics but still a really enjoyable game

Pelvis Knot

Cipher
Excommunicator said:
No, you just missed the point, Doctor.

I think it is pretty clear that just about everyone here enjoys the gameplay in RPGs. But generally not in the same satisfying way as a good strategy game for example.

The RPG genre (for all manner of reasons) really does fall short in the mechanical aspects across the board. Almost all RPGs rely very heavily on other things such as graphics, story, characters, setting and such in order to compensate for the core weaknesses, and it is very apparent in replayability.

You can replay many RPGs and enjoy the replay, but rarely in the same satisfying mechanical way as a good strategy game, even for the best of RPGs.

Not a universal opinion, but a pretty common one, as evidenced by the lists in this thread.

Thank you :)

ZbojLamignat said:
Most of the lists seem to just be "my top7" but I'll say fuck it and name games that I enjoyed despite them being flawed or not that great objectively.

That's the point of this thread

SAGO said:
WILL THIS INFOMATION BE USED IN MARKETING, PELVIS KNOT?

I WANT TO KNOW.

YES, BETHESDA HIRED ME TO DISCOVER HOW THEY COULD TAP THE CODEX NICHE.

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
1. Alpha Centauri
2. The Secret of Monkey Island
3. Planescape: Torment
4. Fallout
5. Jagged Alliance 2
6. Civilization IV with all expansions and Rise of Mankind / A New Dawn mod
7. Europa Universalis III with all expansions

It is more or less the same list as the best games list. First I have fun playing a game, then I try to analyze and objectify its qualities. Doing the opposite is pointless and whoever does it should find another hobby.

Konjad

⛏
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Pelvis Knot said:
Konjad said:
1. Oblivion
2. Fallout 3
3. Mass Effect
4. ArcaniA
5. Dragon Age
6. Call of Duty Black Ops
7. World of Warcraft

Sorry my dear potato-horse, but I'll skip your vote if you don't mind...
This thread is serious business after all, edginess was reserved for page one

:obviously:

Close-minded bastard :<

Anyway if you don't count my previous vote then I'll make a new one:

1. Baldur's Gate - My first cRPG, started playing it when I was nine years old. I replayed it so many times I can't count, I probably knew 'everything' about this game, although time erases my memories. "Sandbox-like' game where you can go wherever you want anytime and every location is full of details and interesting encounters. Fights are generally challenging and with no dumb filler combat (minus MQ, especially the mine in Nashkeel) It was my favourite game for years, definitely until I played PST. Oh, and by the way I don't consider it as good after playing so many other great cRPGs but it has it's place because it introduced me to my favourite genre (and pretty much the only one I'm interested in) and I was obsessive about it for about 3 years, playing it nearly every day.
2. Planescape Torment - Beautiful story, characters, writing, music... well, you know :salute: I cried at the ending ;_;
3. Gothic 2: Night of the Raven - It's just... the music... and the world :melancholic cry: Atmosphere in this add-on to 'rather good' sequel to great game Gothic stroke me as nowhere else except Bloodlines. Beautiful music which makes the greatest atmosphere of mystery when you travel through the new part of the island, two original factions and main quest which deals with problems in the interesting way. And the world. It's one of the most beautiful... no, it's the most beautiful world ever created.
4. Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines - Awesome atmosphere, characters, graphic, music... and excellent dubbing! Well, everything in this game is perfect... except the sewers and the end-game :M
5. Fallout - Interesting world, good music, characters, many ways of solving quest... well, it is a great game. I played it pretty late though, I think it was 2008/2009.
6. The Elder Scrolls III:Morrowind - this game was perfect for my love for exploration (well, actually Gothics were better but they had small worlds). I spent hundreds of hours just wandering around and staring at pretty graphic like a consoletard. The atmosphere was great too. Everything else was shit but I didn't care at the time as long as I could travel through unknown territories and feel the excitement of finding a new locations.
7. WiedĹşmin. Yes, I know, I'm a fag-pole, but I did like it so much. Especially due to C&Cs, dialogues (Polish), story and everything similar to what I imagined when reading books (minus Jaskier). It has pretty shitty end-game and the beginning though.

Why only 7 :x I want to include on that list also Deus Ex, New Vegas, Risen, Gothic, Arcanum, Mask of the Betrayer and probably something I forgot about :x

Anyway I know, I'm a RPGfag but cRPGs are one of my the most important parts of my life. This is pretty much the only entertainment that gives me so much enjoyment. I can live without any other games (although I like some games that aren't cRPGs), movies, hell, I could stand being unable to read books... but cRPGs are my love :love: I can 'become' someone else, not only play a game where you shoot things or manage country/city whatever.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
1. Baldur's Gate II - Shadows of Amn
2. Civilization IV
3. Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
4. Deus Ex
5. GTA - Vice City
6. Saint's Row II
7. Might & Magic VII - For Blood and Honor

I basically took the games I've replayed the most and put them in order. Otherwise games like Planescape: Torment would be on there.

zool

Arcane
1. Jagged Alliance 2
2. Close Combat 2 A Bridge Too Far
3. Fallout 2
4. Tropico
5. Hidden Agenda
6. Sid Meier's Covert Action
7. Crusader Kings

7hm

Scholar
So it looks like Fallout + Fallout 2 are pretty universally loved.

Moreso, by far, than any other RPG no matter what any kind of "best RPG" poll would indicate.

Edit: Unless I miscount here... 26 / 53 people have listed Fallout 1 or 2 among their top 7.

Pelvis Knot

Cipher
Yup, currently leading are fallouts, heroes 3, deus ex and jagged alliance - at least for the first 3 pages, but there is lots of vote spread, almost 200 games on the list

kasmas

Educated
1.Morrowind
2.The Witcher
3.Europa Universalis 3
4.Football manager 2007
5.Bloodlines
6.X2-reunion
7.Wing commander 2

Notorious

Augur
1. Baldur's Gate II
2. Civ II
3. Arcanum
4. Diablo II
5. Europa Universalis II
6. VtMB
7. Jagged Alliance II/Fallout can't decide

(I have all of this Games installed pretty much all of the time)

attackfighter

Magister
Team Fortress 2
StarCraft
Morrowind
Europa Universalis 3
Heroes of Might and Magic 3
Baldurs Gate 2

Jive One

Educated
1. Master of Orion
2. System Shock
3. Star Control 2
4. Final Fantasy Tactics
5. Thunder Force IV
6. Ultima Underworld
7. Heroes of Might & Magic III

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom