Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Would you truly buy that game? Be honest.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Take a game you considered buying but because of several features or aspects it had, you decided to go to TPB and torrent it instead. Lets say hypothetically that game magically had those problems fixed. At this point, would you buy the game? Would you spend money knowing that you could just as easily download it for free?

I do it all the time. Basically, your post boils down to "Do you pirate everything". I've actually used TPB as an extended demo numerous times, and let that inspire me to buy or not to buy (Risen comes to mind there).

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
No, except for very rare cases. For example - if I could buy Planescape Torment (having played a pirated copy), and give money to the original design team in doing so, I would.

DragoFireheart

Flying Spaghetti Monster said:
I do it all the time. Basically, your post boils down to "Do you pirate everything". I've actually used TPB as an extended demo numerous times, and let that inspire me to buy or not to buy (Risen comes to mind there).

That brings up an interesting question. If companies offered more demos that took actual in-game content for use in the demo but merely cut it off after a short while, would you use those demos over TBP?

MetalCraze

Arcane
Yes - if the game can provide endless gameplay (as in the editor, random map generator and all this for multiplayer too, etc) and thus has a strong and quality modder community - then I certainly will buy it. If it has a lot of bugs I will wait for a few patches.

I mean if a developer actually bothered to make a game with that many possibilities and I can fire it up a month or a year later and still can push something new out of it - that developer deserves money.

Obviously it means I buy games very very rarely.

Yeah, I usually end up buying games I enjoy. It's not a huge sacrifice because I'm not spending that money on games I don't like.

Drago said:
That brings up an interesting question. If companies offered more demos that took actual in-game content for use in the demo but merely cut it off after a short while, would you use those demos over TBP?

That depends on the demo - Soul Calibur 4 gives you actual content...2 fighters and two stages. The demo is over 2gb in size. Seriously?

MetalCraze said:
Yes - if the game can provide endless gameplay (as in the editor, random map generator and all this for multiplayer too, etc) and thus has a strong and quality modder community - then I certainly will buy it. If it has a lot of bugs I will wait for a few patches.

I mean if a developer actually bothered to make a game with that many possibilities and I can fire it up a month or a year later and still can push something new out of it - that developer deserves money.

Obviously it means I buy games very very rarely.

Yeah, I don't buy that many games either, and lately I've been regretting most that I do.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I use TPB for two things: "Demos" and games that with over-the-top rigid DRM.

So yeah, I buy almost all games I actually finish. If they have absurd amounts of DLC (and in honest, which game hasn't today?) I await the Super-Ultra-Mega-G0SU-edition before buying.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Last game bought, Doom 3 (dark mod).

Previous to last:
Gothic 2

Previous to previous to last:
Planescape Torment

Gord

Arcane
I recently came to the conclusion that we should just ignore games that have a certain feature we don't want.

If the publisher sees a high piracy rate on a game it just means to him that the game is in high demand. High demand = good game = continue doing it (but with more DRM).

Logically by pirating the game because it has a certain flaw you only worsen the problem:
If the flaw is a certain feature or absence thereof publishers will get the wrong message.
If the flaw is draconian DRM, well done dumbass, next time they will probably use even more draconian DRM.

DraQ

Arcane
DragoFireheart said:
Take a game you considered buying but because of several features or aspects it had, you decided to go to TPB and torrent it instead. Lets say hypothetically that game magically had those problems fixed. At this point, would you buy the game? Would you spend money knowing that you could just as easily download it for free?
Sure.

I do buy games sometimes, you know, and I can't think of any single one of them I wouldn't be able to download for free.
:obviously:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
DragoFireheart said:
Been there done that, and in most cases the "flaws get fixed" part doesn't even apply. Download game, enjoy it, buy it. Simple. Used to do the same back in the days too: don't copy that floppy, enjoy it, go buy it. I initially demoed a pirated version of Pandora Directive (after buying UKM new and paying a whopping $100 and being disappointed), loved it so much that I bought a real one right after finishing it. Still have both of them, in their boxes. Same for Sam & Max; demoed the floppy version, then waited for the CD version and bought that. Did the same with Warlords 2, then bought the Deluxe. Though in both cases I ended up throwing out the boxes :x

Also, confession time: I did this with BG1. Still have it in its original box :oops:

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Honestly: personally, money is kinda tight at the moment and for me it depends strongly on the company.
If it's an Indie game I'd buy it, in the hope that they will be able to produce more awesome games and/or sequels. (I know, one guy's money doesn't make a difference - but if everybody would think like that... sweet Anarchy! :))

Quilty

Magister
by spending money on games I would be supporting a multi-million dollar industry which was much better way back when it didn't make so much money :M

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
DragoFireheart said:
Yes, why wouldn't I?

DragoFireheart

Flying Spaghetti Monster said:
Yeah, I don't buy that many games either, and lately I've been regretting most that I do.

Which ones did you regret?

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I probably wouldn't buy a game I already finished. Unless I had some incentive for spending money like a big discount (50~75% sales), good multiplayer with dedicated servers or replayability...

No, I take what I can for free if I can. I usually buy games if they're very cheap, have multiplayer which requires a legit copy or are some really cool indie games such as KotC.

Captain Shrek

I try to buy games I like. I am not super rich and thus when I feel that the game is overpriced I pirate it. When it comes down to its reasonable value (reasonable to me) I buy it. I have been employed since 2007. This has been my modus operandi till date.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I hardly torrent games anymore (haven't in many years now). Games that I usually torrent are games I wasn't going to buy i.e games I know wasn't interested in the first place.

Gord

Arcane
Hobo Elf said:
Games that I usually torrent are games I wasn't going to buy i.e games I know wasn't interested in the first place.

Then why are you getting them?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom