Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Would you truly buy that game? Be honest.

Kraszu

Prophet
Gord said:
Hobo Elf said:
Games that I usually torrent are games I wasn't going to buy i.e games I know wasn't interested in the first place.

Then why are you getting them?

Why did you made that post? Would you made if it had costed 99c?

DragoFireheart said:
Take a game you considered buying but because of several features or aspects it had, you decided to go to TPB and torrent it instead. Lets say hypothetically that game magically had those problems fixed. At this point, would you buy the game? Would you spend money knowing that you could just as easily download it for free?

Every game that I had brought I could easily download for free. I also don't play the games when they have few fixable problems, as I have no problem with waiting for the fix.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Captain Shrek said:
I try to buy games I like. I am not super rich and thus when I feel that the game is overpriced I pirate it. When it comes down to its reasonable value (reasonable to me) I buy it. I have been employed since 2007. This has been my modus operandi till date.

This generally. I could not possible afford all the game I play, and it makes more sense to me to spread my support around buying the stuff that represents the best deals, than to get a couple of 70$ games and screw all the guys offering deals later on or low prices initially.

Gord

Arcane
Kraszu said:
Gord said:
Hobo Elf said:
Games that I usually torrent are games I wasn't going to buy i.e games I know wasn't interested in the first place.

Then why are you getting them?

Why did you made that post? Would you made if it had costed 99c?

I could spend the whole evening watching tv for free, yet I don't, because I'm not interested in it.

Gord said:
I recently came to the conclusion that we should just ignore games that have a certain feature we don't want.

If the publisher sees a high piracy rate on a game it just means to him that the game is in high demand. High demand = good game = continue doing it (but with more DRM).

Logically by pirating the game because it has a certain flaw you only worsen the problem:
If the flaw is a certain feature or absence thereof publishers will get the wrong message.
If the flaw is draconian DRM, well done dumbass, next time they will probably use even more draconian DRM.

Publishers don't even undersand that a pirated copy doesn't mean a lost sale, or that piracy is rampant on consoles, or that piracy isn't theft because nothing is removed from an inventory. What makes you think they'll understand that a high piracy rate = high interest?

Gord

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
Publishers don't even undersand that a pirated copy doesn't mean a lost sale, or that piracy is rampant on consoles, or that piracy isn't theft because nothing is removed from an inventory. What makes you think they'll understand that a high piracy rate = high interest?

You shouldn't confuse what they say to get some sympathy from politicians with what they really believe.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Well, I've never been much of a pirate and there are only so few developers I actually like that I pretty much always buy stuff on the day of release or as soon as I can. I crack them though, because I don't want to fuck around with CDs and DVDs or internet connections all the time.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Any game I've torrented and still find myself playing after 48 hours I buy. If I get tired of it before that point I uninstall and delete the torrented files.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
I don't think I've ever bought a game I pirated, maybe once or twice for multiplayer or a patch.

I generally only care about party based RPGs, turn based tactics games and certain kinds of turn based strategy games. I tend to buy almost all the good titles in these genres, assuming I find out about them while they're still new.

So I really only have 4-5 games that I "regret" pirating (feel like I should have paid for) and all but one of those are partial / qualified "regrets". (For example I pirated a game in one of my preferred genres when it was quite old but maybe still being sold by the devs, then bought the two sequels). By contrast I must have 40+ games I regret buying (mostly from when I was younger).

Most of what I pirate turns out to be pretty shitty. Occasionally I've have some fun with a game from a genre I don't care about, but at this point I can't really bring myself to support action games financially, as I wouldn't really mind if they just stopped existing.

Of course, if I miss a game in one of my preferred genres when it comes out, then find out about it years later, I'll pirate it, rather than give my money to some random publisher who bought the rights. (Or even worse, GOG)

Dyskolos

Cipher
I often pirate just to check optimization and stability and end up being so bored by the heap of shit in front of me that I just toss the whole thing even if it turned out stable. So basically if I could just trust the system specs and testing thoroughness of the developers they'd get my money. But since they insist on fucking me at both ends they get nothing.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I do it all the time. But I never buy new games any more, I wait for them to actually be finished first, about a year after release, with all the patches and stuff that should have been in from the fucking start DLC. The last new, full-price game I bought was Civilization V, and needless to say I was extremely disappoint. So now I just check out GOG, Steam or Gamersgate for their crazy 66-90% off sales and buy stuff I like from there, and laugh at the CoDfags and their $59.99 pre-orders.

I now have a vast number of games I've never finished (or even started), all bought fair and square, and no time to play them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom