Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sword of the Stars 2: Electric Boogaloo

Will Sword of the Stars II be significantly different from the first one?

• More of the same

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Significantly different, better

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Significantly different, worse

Votes: 7 50.0%

• Total voters

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Huh, another of those Sneak releases? I grew to hate this practise over the last couple of weeks. The last "official release date" was 28th.
Where can you buy it and what is the price? Depending on how much it is I might buy this one blindly.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Yeah looks like bad intel. Been searching the web once again and all indications still point to the 28th as release date.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So, did anyone get the game yet? It's out on Steam. Not that anyone noticed, even on the game's own website, under latest news, the LAUNCH OF THE GAME isn't even important enough to be mentioned...

Dirk Diggler

Scholar
WHOA!

This is definitely not more of the same!

I've only been messing around with it for about an hour and I don't know what's going on yet, but I think that we're definitely in for a much better game than the last.

1) Those who felt the last one was too simple, take heart, you need to RTFM to play this one.

2) Fleet management is overhauled entirely. You now have a series of admirals, each with with differing stats, who head up fleets. In order to create a new fleet, you must have a command ship ready for the admiral waiting in reserve. You do not directly order groups of ships in the manner you did in the first game. Instead, you select systems/targets and designate missions to fleet admirals. The admirals tell you how long it's going to take to complete the mission, and in some cases it will even cost money.

3) Space stations are a lot more sophisticated and broken down into several groups. For example, in order to facilitate interspecies trade, you must build space stations and outfit them with modules to accommodate other species.

4) In addition to weapon hardpoints on ships, you can assign modules which change the nature of the ship altogether. Examples being, marines(which increase resistance to boarding by providing combat ready troops), psionic warfare teams, logistics teams, auxillary power, engineer corps, etc.

5) Colonization is no longer a manner of churning up a bunch of ships and watching them disappear when you colonize a planet. Now colonization fleets(often comprising of construction/colonization/mining ships) will make round trips with supplies and population until the planet you are trying to colonize is developed.

6) Oh yeah, there are now multiple planets per star system, and differing types of planets(e.g. gas giants, solid planets, etc).

Oh and while destroyers are no longer in the game, there are both drones and 'battleriders' which are essentially destroyer class ships w/o interstellar drives that deploy similar to fighters.

It's pretty fucking different is all I know to say.

Have experienced some bugs with the sound cutting out until I restart the program though. :(

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Good news. But the question is, is it better? Is there a non-military component to the game, is colony management more than just moving sliders around and watching pie-charts?

The first one wasn't that simple to get into either, it's just that there was only military research, ship building, and combat. Basically zero colony/empire management. More complexity doesn't necessarily mean better game, but it is a good sign that it hasn't been dumbed down.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Oh damn, it's the 28th already :o

Thanks for the first assessment, Dirk.

I will probably buy this next week. Wish my schedule wasn't so busy right now :?

Dirk Diggler

Scholar
Well, you have to bear in mind that I liked the first game.

I'll have to play it longer to figure out just how much the empire management side of it has been expounded upon. Looking at the tech tree though, there are a lot more non-weapon oriented technologies.

Also, as I mentioned with stations, I have thus far seen civilian/diplomatic/navy/science/trade stations. And again, you have to make use of diplomatic/trade stations in order to be able to trade with empires comprising of other species at all.

You also have to make use of mining/supply fleets to exploit those resources instead of getting an across the board bonus just for researching asteroid mining etc.

Also, fleet coordination takes place in three dimensions as opposed to two. But, that's pretty much only relevant to combat granted.

Oh, and sliders and pie charts are still pretty much central to the management philosophy yes.

Dirk Diggler

Scholar
Good to know there is a patch enroute asap, it does run a little slowly and the sound bug is irritating.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
I liked the first one as well, but for one playthrough, after that I found it boring. It does seem from your description though that there is some degree of incline present. Just wish there was a demo.

The Dude

Liturgist
I'm laughing my ass off, even though I am a semi fanboy.

Them fucking up the release and uploading beta code at the same time as their game hits number one on Steam sales chart.

This coupled with the lead designer being a, ehm, character, and having a huge ego that has caused more butthurt and bruised more egos than the worst of codex trolls. Their forums are also down from being totally hammered from probably hundreds or thousands of times their normal traffic, so info is vague at best.

I just designed a ship and shot some targets, quickly checked a few screens. Seems more complex than the last iteration that I loved, and not in a bad way. Too much beta is too much though, I'll RTFM and laugh at the drama while waiting for final code.

dragonfk

Erudite
You know what would be hilarious? Pirated versions of the game not being betas.

The Dude

Liturgist
That doesn't really seem that far fetched, in case the rumour that the GG download is the actual release version is true. Only that the game has to be verified and updated through Steam, which means it still becomes the beta if that's the case. That would be hilarious alright. :lol:

tindrli

Arcane
dragonfk said:
You know what would be hilarious? Pirated versions of the game not being betas.

i wonder id that skidrow edition is beta or not.. never liked this game anyway so i can wait at least first couple of patches

:M

Dirk Diggler

Scholar
Eh, I think there's something wrong with the way steam is handling it, because it's even MORE broken now.

I am guessing the installs overlapped and we ended up with a mess. So, I deleted my local content and am currently in the process of re-downloading the whole damned thing.

I'll let you guys know if it's the proper version when I wake up tomorrow. Don't have the time nor the energy to wait on it anymore tonight.

Definitely a big black eye for Kerberos PR wise, that's for sure.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
tindrli said:
i wonder id that skidrow edition is beta or not.. never liked this game anyway so i can wait at least first couple of patches

It's the beta version.

Dirk Diggler said:
I'll let you guys know if it's the proper version when I wake up tomorrow. Don't have the time nor the energy to wait on it anymore tonight.

It's a higher version of beta.

dragonfk

Erudite
It's like Elemental: War of Magic all over again, drama everywhere. Well people forgot that it's only Paradox being Paradox :salute: .

Rina

Scholar
Oh dear, I should have known better than to buy a strategy game on release day, especially after what happened with Elemental. :(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom