Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What would be your all time TOP 3 games?

Palikka

Arcane
Should make a top 25 with "weighted" votes like the Annual Top 25 Shmups.

anyways my list
1. SubSpace
2. ADOM
3. Baldur's Gate

zool

Arcane
Jagged Alliance 2
Fallout 2
Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines

Other contenders:
Crusader Kings
Close Combat 2
STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl

Anyone who has a "top 3" list of any genre with 1000s of entries and 100s of contenders is an utter moron unworthy of intelligent discussion.

Anyways, here's my 3:

Star Control 2
Tie Fighter
The Last Express

That said, I simply chose these semi-randomly out of the list of games I would consider solid 4-star contenders.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Ultima Online (before it was patched to ruin player killing)
[slot open]
Jagged Alliance 2

Ultima Online was by far the best game ever made. There will never be another game like it. It is probably impossible to replicate the experience as players have a much more sophisticated understanding of online gaming nowadays.

- An attempt at virtual world, not a treadmill.
- A population that was mostly made up of permanewbs who didn't fully understand online gaming.
- An incredible and unmatched number of ways to fuck with those permanewbs.(murdering them, stealing stuff out of their backpacks, looting their houses, stealing their houses, stealing their boats, a huge variety of ways to get them killed by monsters, player made trapped chests, a variety of ways to kill people without taking a murder count, the list goes on.)
- The ability to get rich by killing people and taking their stuff (or just stealing their weapons and running away).
- PVE didn't really matter.
- A large number of obscure mechanics and tricks to allow the elite players to rise above the average ones.
- A character development system that required very little grinding to max out, for those who knew what they were doing.
- A fun combat system that allowed good players with good connections to survive against ridiculous odds and escape gangbangs reliably.

[Slot open] because nothing else has come close.

Jagged Alliance 2 gets an honorable mention for being a single player game that kind of resembles a roleplaying game but still somehow manages to not suck.

Nael

Arcane
Stuck on a stranded island and only three games to choose from kinda picks I would go with:

Simcity
Sid Meiers' Alpha Centauri
Dawn of War

RolePlayer

Augur
1. Starcraft Broodwar
2. NFL 2K1 (Dreamcast)
3. NFL 2K5 (Xbox)

If the sports games don't count:

2. Super Mario World
3. World of Warcraft

Destroid

Arcane
Natural Selection
ns.jpg

Starsiege: Tribes
vehicle.JPG

Starcraft
starcraft_video_game.jpg

I need to give the Thief games another go. I loved the handful of hours I played them, but got sidetracked because of my fucking insane school schedule.

Achilles

Arcane
I won't put any RPGs on my list since we already voted on them. So:

1. UFO: Enemy Unknown (or X-Com UFO Defence depending on where you live)

2. Freespace 2

3. Football Manager (the latest, but the whole series is basically the same game)

UFO: EU is the best game ever made, period. Freespace 2 is a fantastic space combat game, tense and cinematic but rich in gameplay and depth, and Football Manager is every football fan's dream come true.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
1. Planescape: Torment
2. Baldur's Gate Series
3. Tie between Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines and the Civilization series.

Captain Shrek

Thief
Thief 2
Alpha centauri + AC? Deus Ex? Half life? NWN2 + TC Modules? Fallout?

The third position is heavily contested.

Zergian

Educated
1. Gothic 2: NotR
2. Warhammer: Dark Omen
3. NWN: Hordes of the Underdark

The first choice is Piranha Bytes' best title, I think. It is so distinct as a game that its only competition is found in other Piranha Bytes games.

The second is kind of like the Total War series, but it features only a single-player campaign, and has magic. Music, voice-acting, everything about it is absolutely superb. As is appropriate to a game so polished, like NotR it has only one difficulty level. Troop losses carry over from scenario to another, so beating the game isn't the only eventual outcome. In fact, good luck.

The third is very atmospheric, and IMO the best of the type of story-driven CRPGs and single-player campaigns that came to dominate the CRPG market after the success of Baldur's Gate.

Deleted member 7219

Morrowind

First RPG I ever played and to date still the best in terms of game world, lore, freedom and sheer wealth of content. Skyrim is an excellent sequel to Morrowind but it can't beat its predecessor in terms of quest design. In Morrowind, ascending to the head of the Fighter's Guild took a great deal of time and effort, and werewolves were something to be feared, not thrown upon the player as a reward for completing a basic quest.

TIE Fighter (Collector's CD)

There aren't many games that let you play as the bad guy, but TIE Fighter does it with relish. Full voice-overs and a gorgeous soundtrack, and thirteen campaigns to get through, each mission having primary, secondary and bonus objectives. Main story is great, going from capturing fleeing Rebels to trying to broker peace between two warring factions, and ultimately dealing with traitors and a coup de tat

Fallout: New Vegas

I had thought about putting GTA 3 or GTA Vice City here but I really think NV hasn't had anywhere near as much praise as it should have. Here is a true sequel to the original Fallout games developed by Interplay/Black Isle. There is player choice at every turn and seeking out every quest and location in the Mojave will take you over 100 hours, and that is before playing the DLC too. I was thinking the other day about how many memorable moments there are to be had in this game. My personal favourite is getting to meet Mr. House in the flesh. Perhaps the best praise I can give it is, unlike most other RPGs, there's nothing special about you. You were just in the right place at the right time.

Trojan_generic

Magister
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Gregz said:
Trojan_generic said:
Wow that brings me back to my IBM XT days. Remember the keyboard stencil overlay? I swear every key on the qwerty did something. Fun game. :salute:

Played it on C64, but the stencil I still have. Not every key, but all the keys next to the edge of the keyboard.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Top3 lists are retarded

SP arcade shooter: Max Payne series (excl. Max Payn3), AvP2 comes close
MP arcade shooter: Unreal Tournament, Tribes 2 comes close
Tactical strategy: Jagged Alliance 2
RPG: Fallout
Wargame: Steel Panthers Main Battle Tank
Global strategy: HoI3 (maybe other Paradox game due to a constant decline with each new paid patch)
4X: SMAC
Adventure: Blade Runner
Stealth: Thief series (excl. Thiaf)
Racing arcade: Pure
Infantry simulation: Arma series
Tank simulation: Steel Beasts series
Racing simulation (circuits): GTR2, F1 99-02 comes close
Racing simulation (off-road): Richard Burns Rally
Submarine simulation: Dangerous Waters, but really ties with SH3/4
MMO: Dungeons & Dragons Online

MetalCraze

Arcane
Tutorial takes up to two hours there even with a steering wheel and pedals but afterwards you at least can play the game itself right away unlike many simulations out there as the only way to beat it is to ride right.

If you were trying to play it without a steering wheel and pedals though... Well - you, sir, are a masochist.

Destroid

Arcane
It was with an xbox controller :S

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom