Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any powergaming accomplishments?

Redeye

Arcane
Lonely Vazdru said:
Tactics for BG2 is the exact embodiement of how to increase difficulty the wrong way. I hated it. I went a bit further than the starter dungeon but it doesn't get any better, it's still based on reload knowledge + lucky rolls. Even worse, it doesn't feature a single pylon.
The only thing I liked was not being able to move in and out of a battle by abusing stairs anymore.

How is the Pimlico estate fight in Tactics?
(Is that the one with the enemy party and that Thundering Katana?)

I cheesed it before using Earthquake, teleport field, summons (crap ones first because they use Death Fog).

I'll have to try that again.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
One thing I've always wanted to try but never managed to pull off is an uber character in Slash'EM. My plan is to use a neutral Doppleganger/Undead slayer (For sickness immunity, which almost nothing else gets) character, and then burn a bunch of early wishes on neutral artifacts. Basic equipment would be something along the lines of:

Eyes of the Overworld (Magic Resist, blinding/gaze attack immunities, and X-Ray vision)
Shield of Reflection (Theres an artifact version that makes you immune to hallucination, so that one I guess)
Vorpal Sword (Cause why not)
Boots of Speed (Artifact version that grants stealth or something? I forget)
Orb of Fate (Half damage from any source)
Amulet of Unchanging (Necessary to build up large HP pool)
The sticking point, is I can either be a Mindflayer or some other flying demon, and have intrinsic flight , which would be Tres cool but have very few actual uses, or I could be a Xorn, which has immunity to petrification and I think sliming. But again, very very rare ailments. But the real tradeoff is, the flying version I get to wear armor and a cloak, which is important for cancelling all sorts of icky effects like being grappled and slimed and so forth, and the armor could grant me a bonus immunity, I think acid is missing?, but the Xorn grants mother fucking wall phasing, which is about as broken in a roguelike as it sounds, since only Xorns, Earth elementals, and ghosts have the ability as well, and they're all total pussies. Though it doesn't work in a few select areas, it works in most of them, even the endgame stuff.

Anyways, the furthest I ever get is the point where I can start scumming wishes out of the gypsies, and then I get way too bored with the tedious process to bother going any further.

DamnedRegistrations said:
I took the spellcaster character in SaGa Frontier, trained him in sword skills and got his physical stats as close to the maximum as is realistically possible, then trained the mental stats to about half of the maximum. Learned the most obscure magic sets possible. When you (spoiler) murder your twin, you gain all the opposing spell schools mastered and double all your mental stats. Result: Character that can single handedly defeat pretty much anything in a game meant to be beaten with 5 man teams, with bosses that scale somewhat as you grind. Imagine having a level 20/20/20 fighter/cleric/wizard in DnD. Using splatbooks. Oh, and the equipment was pretty damned good too.

Blue once he kills Rouge becomes pretty OP even if you've only been half-assing things. Naturally having almost every magic in the game (except for Mystic and Enemy Skill, and even then you can pick up some Mystic) makes you capable of using about a dozen exploits.

By end game Blue is easily the most broken path of Saga Frontier. It's evened out by him having redonkulous fights later on and a shit ending.

2nd, 3rd and 4th places going to T260 (tossing random high-end items onto him=999 in most stats, you could give him a sword at that point and he'd crush everyone), Red (Alkaizer Change ups every skill and stat you've learned, and eventually gives him shit like auto-resurrection), and Asellus (taking the time to unlock the pieces of Mystic Armor OP'd her real quick, each new piece meant she could absorb a new monster, stealing its stats and giving her abilities no one else had, a competently leveled Asellus had comparable or greater power than Red).

Emilia, Rikki and Lute just can't compare.

JrK

Prophet
Lonely Vazdru said:
Tactics for BG2 is the exact embodiement of how to increase difficulty the wrong way. I hated it. I went a bit further than the starter dungeon but it doesn't get any better, it's still based on reload knowledge + lucky rolls. Even worse, it doesn't feature a single pylon.
The only thing I liked was not being able to move in and out of a battle by abusing stairs anymore.
Yep, but it was designed to make the AI do the exact same kind of cheese and abuse as the PC could, and to make the player abuse as much cheese as he could. I never played it again after I met that cheating fuck of a kensai with his ridiculous acid blade. <- that means I finished the Pimlico estate, but I can't remember it being that hard... I think the major difference was that you couldn't use the stairs any more.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Redeye said:
How is the Pimlico estate fight in Tactics?
(Is that the one with the enemy party and that Thundering Katana?)
Yes, that's the one, but I didn't go that far with tactics installed. The fight where I discovered the stairs' trick not working anymore was against the traitorous thieves guild boss.

Black Cat

Magister
I don't know whether or not this will qualify as powergaming but I just kind of cleared both Shin Megami Tensei and Shin Megami Tensei II using nothing but Datenshi in the party, which was probably the most awesome playthrough ever. And the most badass. And the most fangirlable, with the entire last dungeon, and the last five bosses in particular, in II being totally epic and I was, like, going squeee as the closet LARPer I am just because of how very awesome it all was. The elohim/aspects were pretty easy, but Satan and Him were ridiculously hard with that group. Okay. Satan, at least, was. With God it was just, like, let's see whether or not we can outlast Him. We did, though that was long even with Lucifer in the party.

Now I'm kind of wanting a pure Yousei playthrough too, though that's next to impossible given the Yousei are quite underpowered and their main strenght is cuteness and being cuddly, or something.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Genma:TheDestroyer said:
2nd, 3rd and 4th places going to T260 (tossing random high-end items onto him=999 in most stats, you could give him a sword at that point and he'd crush everyone), Red (Alkaizer Change ups every skill and stat you've learned, and eventually gives him shit like auto-resurrection), and Asellus (taking the time to unlock the pieces of Mystic Armor OP'd her real quick, each new piece meant she could absorb a new monster, stealing its stats and giving her abilities no one else had, a competently leveled Asellus had comparable or greater power than Red).

Emilia, Rikki and Lute just can't compare.

Don't forget, T260G can be recruited by other characters. And it's his equipment slots that are so OP (Specifically because they let you stack defense, which can actually cap at 255 on multiple elements, reducing damage to single digits.)

And Riki is actually pretty scary when you abuse the rings and pick a good form. Monsters in general are underestimated a lot, because it's difficult to get the best skills and most people don't bother trying. But when you've got something like Liferain, basically the only AoE healing spell in the game, on a monster that can cast it 20 fucking times, or a body with defenses rivalled only by a mech, squishy humans with guns and swords start to look less amazing.

Blue's OPness is also balanced a bit by the fact that he can't rercuit either Kylin or Timelord, who is probably the 2nd best character in the game, since Time Magic (and Mystic Magic) is just that fucking overpowered. Nusakan is pretty high up there too, due to his unique armor.

Red is actually pretty meh in my book. The Raysword isn't even close to being the best sword in the game, and the main boost his change gives aside from the skills and that sword is a flat 250 hp. Though I'll admit he looks really awesome. :P For comparison, the Lightsword spell alone gives: Best damage sword in the game, at 80 attack power. Even the Asura only gives 77. Deflect innately. So it's not even a wasted slot if you wanted deflect anyways. +10 to all stats. Again, this beats out even the Asura. Hell, it even beats out the cursed Gilrandy.

Though I do love that red sword. I mean, if you let something kill you before you get a chance to attack with it, your fucking ghost pops out of your body to take revenge. How fucking awesome is that? It's a pity swordsmen gain speed easily so you hardly ever see that.

Thought of another amusing power gaming thing: in Tactics Ogre, I got the main character a few levels ahead of the enemies. For every level advantage over an enemy, you gain 10% evasion, 10 damage, and 10% hit rate. So 3 levels shifts a 50/50 fight with 40/40 damage dealt to a 20/80 fight with 10/70 damage dealt. And you get free counter attacks on anything in range ever time. Suffice to say, it's a massacre, and your level quickly hits the point where even enemy kills only give 1 xp. I think thats about a 5 level advantage. So now, you're taking 1 damage, dishing out 80-90 (twice if you're dual wielding) have 1% chance to be hit and 100% hit rate. But, it's still at least balanced by you not gaining xp, so the occasional high levelled enemy will give you trouble right? Nope. If a single unit gets enough kills in battle, it gets an MVP award and automatically gains a level up. Also, dead enemies leave behind cards that gives perma stat boosts. Funnel them all onto one guy. Ensue total rape. And of course, if you want to level up your whole team, you can petrify yourself and give them all a 100% hit rate where every swing for 1 damage gives them a full level up.

But wait, there's more!

The games turn system has every character given a 'weight' value. Equipment adds to this. Some stats lower it, but not by much. Generally speaking, you might go from 550 at the early game, to maybe 400 in the late game. Faster characters might get as low as 300, slower ones with heavy equipment might be as bad as 600. This is how many ticks between actions for your unit.

So, take the absolute fastest character you can, give him a brokenly OP weapon that raises stats by an insane amount, and 3 pieces of equipment with NEGATIVE weight. Result? Character that can move ten times more often than the enemies. :smug:

Wyrmlord

Arcane
A week ago, I made a new level 1 character in Icewind Dale 2 for Heart of Fury mode, just to try it out.

Today, my solo Aasimar Paladin 2/Sorcerer 28 just summoned 6 Pit Fiends (or Gelugons, as they call it in this game) in front of Sherincal & Co. My Sorcerer killed Sherincal herself with a Finger of Death. The Pit Fiends killed all the Barbarians, Soarmen, Necromancers, Aurilites, and Doomguards assisting her.

That felt so good.

This is just the beginning of Chapter II, and I have already maxed my level. Prior the Sherincal fight, I was killing all the other Aurilites, Barbarians, and Rhemorrazes with a combo of Fireshield (red) + Fireshield (blue) + Spirit Armor + Elemental Barrier + Aegis + Executioner's Eyes + Eagle's Splendor + Haste + Tensor's Transformation. I was also assisted by 6 Greater Boneguards summoned by the Animate Dead spell. They were in Mass Haste mode. Complete slaughter.

I think I am going to do Icewind Dale 1 with a solo party in Heart of Fury mode as well.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Gregz said:
GarfunkeL said:
FromWisdomToHate said:
Finished Kings bounty: armored princess on impossible with zero troop loss
Impossible. Just the tutorial will make you lose some troops. Unless by "zero troop loss" you mean that you never lost a whole unit?

Yeah, that's probably the most unlikely claim in this thread.
Outside of the guy who claims he beat two dozen Beholders, a dozen fighters, and a dozen magicians in Curse of the Azure Bonds without Dust of Disappearance.

You calling me a liar, Wormtongue?

Wyrmlord

Arcane
No, but I guess it does make you one in a million. ;)

That fight...god DAMN!

I am reminded of the Twisted Rune fight in BG2. I suppose it's possible to beat it with some persistence, and it's probably easier than the Mulmaster Beholder Corps fight, but you really have to stop and spend ten minutes thinking about how you'll deal with a beholder, a lich, a level-draining vampire, and a pit-fiend summoning magician. You know how how to deal with each one of them, but figuring how to deal with all of them changes everything. You keep a negative plane protection to deal with the vampire, but the beholder breaks your buffs. Try to deal with the beholder, but the lich is casting spells on you. Try to deal with the lich, but the magician just sent a pit fiend after you. So I give up. Strangely enough, the last fight with Irenicus was much easier.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
No, but I guess it does make you one in a million. ;)

That fight...god DAMN!

I am reminded of the Twisted Rune fight in BG2. I suppose it's possible to beat it with some persistence, and it's probably easier than the Mulmaster Beholder Corps fight, but you really have to stop and spend ten minutes thinking about how you'll deal with a beholder, a lich, a level-draining vampire, and a pit-fiend summoning magician. You know how how to deal with each one of them, but figuring how to deal with all of them changes everything. You keep a negative plane protection to deal with the vampire, but the beholder breaks your buffs. Try to deal with the beholder, but the lich is casting spells on you. Try to deal with the lich, but the magician just sent a pit fiend after you. So I give up. Strangely enough, the last fight with Irenicus was much easier.

The difference is that in CoAB you can exploit the pitifully weak AI and pathfinding. Since the enemies are all inside a room, it makes an otherwise impossible fight possible, by luring them out a few at a time. And since the CoAB beholders are one square enemies they can be backstabbed. Nothing beats a Hasted and Enlarged Fighter/Thief against one square enemies with magic immunity.

I can't remember the Twisted Rune, but the last fight against Irenicus was brutal. I remember having to do it several times, partly because of bugs. I raged about it at the Gibberlings forum.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Interesting, I don't remember having that much trouble with Irenicus. Sure, it wasn't easy and had to repeat the fight a couple of times, but it definitely didn't seem THAT hard.

Now, the final boss in IWD on Heart of Fury. That I remember.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Interesting, I don't remember having that much trouble with Irenicus. Sure, it wasn't easy and had to repeat the fight a couple of times, but it definitely didn't seem THAT hard.

Well, I had Sword Coast Strategems II installed. I never played the vanilla version of that fight.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
the last fight against Irenicus was brutal. I remember having to do it several times, partly because of bugs. I raged about it at the Gibberlings forum.
The last time I played BG2, I did it with a party of 6 Kensai/Mages ( :oops: ) and the last fight seemed straightforward enough to me.

With six magic buffed fighters, dealing with the demons seemed no trouble. As for Slayer Irenicus, I simply summoned a couple of demons so that he would waste all his powerful spells on them and so that he would give the rest of us an opening to launch Breach, Pierce Magic, Dispel Magic, Lower Resistance on him once he was no longer invisible. Then Abi Dalzim's Horrid Wilting, Incendiary Cloud, and other high level offensive spells just badly damaged him.

laclongquan

Arcane
Unreal World: start the game with a minimum of clothes and gears, far from human civilization, in spring season (so that your actual date is in middle of winter), no cannibal (ie hunting humans then eat them), or robber (find humans then kill them for their gears). Build the biggest loghouse possible, stock three years of dried or smoked food stuffs in three different areas ( there's bug on the maximum number of items in each area), make a humongous trapfence to fully encircle your house, allow no one in and out without your invitation or risk the trap pits.

King of Dragon Pass: build the biggest tribe, nearly consume the whole pass. That's one. Win the game with the youngest Tribechieftain possible. That's another. And it's not easy as it sounds since a young chieftain has not enough time to train stats. And Build the richest tribe concentrated on craftsmen. This path is differed from every other paths.

Lemme think of something else.

Murk

Arcane
I find that with games I enjoy, I more often than no tend to powergame somehow. I think it stems from me liking the system, and in doing so I begin to map it out and understand how it works so I can play the system more than the game. That, for some reason, is fun to me. Take games like most of the FFs (not counting my beloved Tactics), I tend to not give a shit and so I just sort of play-as-intended until I get bored (and I nearly always get bored -- best thing about playing them on an emulator is the fast-forward button). Now, take a game like Tactics or ToEE and it's all about builds and gear and I love it. Trying to beat obscure ass self-imposed challenges while attempting to accumulate insane power to one-shot enemies that should be sufficiently difficult.

To anyone who hasn't played the FF Tactics 1.3 insane difficulty mod but likes the game -- get on it. The content changes are pretty good, too. A lot of skills and classes have become useful again where-as they used to not matter. Things like archers, knights, and mediators having a use, and the enemy using some legit skills/classes and at times, real tactics against you.

Then again you can also experience the ridiculousness of coming into a fight with 5 behemoths and 5 ahriman and watching as a behemoth casts meteor on everyone and the 5 ahriman reflect it back. The spell is auto-all-enemy-target, so the behemoth casts it once and the ahriman cast it 5 times (once each) clearing the whole map that, should you have melee'd them, would have been pretty simple.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Trying to beat obscure ass self-imposed challenges while attempting to accumulate insane power to one-shot enemies that should be sufficiently difficult.
I think that's why the Finger of Death spell feels so good in the IE games.

Even when there are enemies that should have all the power to crush you like an ant, just a single Finger of Death can wipe them out if you time and plan things properly.

One can actually beat all the dragon fights in BG2 with Finger of Death; get half the party to distract the dragon, and the other half to debuff it. Then have one use Finger of Death.

Murk

Arcane
Chromatic Orb as well, and in other cases -- harm.

The oh so difficult Balor died to me in 2 turns in ToEE -- two casts of harm on a level 20 (actually, not quite, I could only do 160 or so damage so probably level 16 or somewhere there-about) cleric. The chief cleric of the lower temple as well, Finger of Death and he was gone before even initiating dialog. I didn't even know he summons Iuz or any of the Moradin/St. Cuthbert shenanigans.

Harold

Arcane
Trying to beat obscure ass self-imposed challenges while attempting to accumulate insane power to one-shot enemies that should be sufficiently difficult.
I think that's why the Finger of Death spell feels so good in the IE games.

Even when there are enemies that should have all the power to crush you like an ant, just a single Finger of Death can wipe them out if you time and plan things properly.

One can actually beat all the dragon fights in BG2 with Finger of Death; get half the party to distract the dragon, and the other half to debuff it. Then have one use Finger of Death.

It's probably also why they made all dragons in ToB immune to death effects. I haven't played BG2 vanilla in years because after the first time through it you kind of learn all the enemies tricks and can just roflstomp trough it, even without using cheese. I highly recommend SCSII with improved enemies and boss fights if you really want to feel like a munchkin. Add the item upgrades mod if you want to balance things out a bit and have a money sink.

Snufkin

Augur
My best powergaming moment was playing dumb character in fo2. With 3 inteligence i had overpowered stats, started with finesse and one hander and 9 perception, all points went to small guns. Got those geckos drop like shit with aimed shots with 10mm. Then i grabed magnum revolver in Den and i could do two aimed shots to the eyes. Cleaned wanamingo mines solo at level 9. Mutated finesse into fastshot on level 27 and won game. Here is screenshot after killing Horrigan.
scr00004.png

scr00004o.png

rashiakas

Cipher
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Chromatic Orb as well, and in other cases -- harm.

The oh so difficult Balor died to me in 2 turns in ToEE -- two casts of harm on a level 20 (actually, not quite, I could only do 160 or so damage so probably level 16 or somewhere there-about) cleric. The chief cleric of the lower temple as well, Finger of Death and he was gone before even initiating dialog. I didn't even know he summons Iuz or any of the Moradin/St. Cuthbert shenanigans.

The "oh so difficult" Balor encounter was designed for a level 10 party. Maybe you shouldn't cheat if you want a challenge.

Murk

Arcane
I didn't cheat, I just used the Co8 mod before it had the new areas added in. As for a party of level 10, did that too (in subsequent plays) and with parties of 3 level 10s as well (no companions, just my cadre of fighter/cleric, rogue/mage, cleric.

I wasn't trying to be snotty, but since this is a game about power gaming accomplishments I thought I'd post one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom