Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any powergaming accomplishments?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Does completing Knights of Legend count?

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I don't do much powergaming. The closest example I can think of in recent memory is finishing Deus Ex: Human Revolution in 3 hours, ghosting, without attacking anyone (except bosses). I almost managed to do it but there were one or two situations where it was impossible to progress without taking an enemy out. It wasn't even that hard, just a case of knowing the shortcuts in advance and being careful.

Xor said:
I'm just gonna post these again.
char2.jpg

The result of trying to make the most powerful Fallout character I could.

char3.jpg

This isn't even the best Fallout 2 character I've ever had. I've had Fallout 2 installed on so many computers now, though, that I can't find the majority of my save files.

Can you tell me how the fuck is possible to have SPECIAL 9+9+7+3+10+10+10 = 58 in fallout 1 without cheating? Max should be with gifted for example 6*7 = 42 + 5 you get to distribute + 7 (every stats can be upgraded by 1) = 54...

Did you use buffot for endurance before taking a screenshot??

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
i might be misremembering. Can't you save perks as well as skill points in fallout for the higher levels?

Yes you don't have to open the character screen when you level up, but what good does that do? I mean how will that help you have 4 extra s.p.e.c.i.a.l points than the possible maximum?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
SCO said:
i might be misremembering. Can't you save perks as well as skill points in fallout for the higher levels?
I believe yes, you could do that. Besides, there's the power armor boost and the impants in F2, so 10 strenght is a waste, IIRC.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
hardened.veteran said:
Can you tell me how the fuck is possible to have SPECIAL 9+9+7+3+10+10+10 = 58 in fallout 1 without cheating? Max should be with gifted for example 6*7 = 42 + 5 you get to distribute + 7 (every stats can be upgraded by 1) = 54...

Depends on what you consider cheating. There's a bug you can use to get an extra point of int from the Brotherhood, and another bug that lets you upgrade your luck twice from the fortune teller in Boneyard. I honestly don't remember where the other points came from; this playthrough was from two years ago.

Edit: You didn't count the strength bonus from power armor (+3) in your math. That puts the max at 59 with the bugs. So if anything I missed a stat point somewhere.

tennishero

Novice
wow what a bunch of newbs

listen up broski- lets talk power gaming

(you wont beat this)

single character only (tifa) low level (must be below lv 7)- initial weapon

beating ruby and emerald weapons

DONE!!!!

DONE!

you are allowed to abuse W-item

the highest level of powergaming possible

:salute:

TripJack

Hedonist
i don't powergame there's too many games i still have not played for me to be spending time doing stupid shit like that

octavius said:
Beating the Mulmaster Beholder Corp in Curse of the Azure Bonds, without using the Dust of Disapperance.
outrageous

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
TripJack said:
octavius said:
Beating the Mulmaster Beholder Corp in Curse of the Azure Bonds, without using the Dust of Disapperance.
outrageous

I still have not been able to win that battle (without cheeting, like Dust of Disapperance). That battle is insane.

Just like the (optional) ones in Wizardry 7.

sser

Arcane
Developer
--- Played and beat Silent Storm solo with a Scout-esque character on the hardest difficulty. Things became a little difficult when the sentinels showed up, but I still did it. I spent the last level doing a lot of re-loading because one sentinel laser would usually kill me and there were a shit load of them in the silo thing or whatever the hell that last place was. IIRC, I used a suppressed Kar98 for almost the entire game and was all but invisible. The hardest level was the giant factory that could completely blow up because it was filled with canisters. I think this game is super-underrated, by the way.

--- Not sure if this is powergaming per se, but I used to be a top online player in a lot of strategy games: Close Combat, C&C: Generals, Company of Heroes when it first came out. Anywhere the Koreans stayed out of. I did okay in Starcraft, but I always played those fun UMS maps instead of the actual game. I was a top player in the NFL 2k5 game, Xbox version. I studied the mechanics of QB-play and how to read defenses and that was that. (Most players just went by their own skill or trick plays.)

--- 100% stealth rating on all the Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory missions on expert difficulty. It's one of my favorite games. Also got Silent Assassin on every mission on Hitman: Bloody Money. Also a very good game. Both these games have awesome level design; lots of replayability.

--- I got to at least level-30 with every single power-combination on Titan Quest. That's a lot of combinations, by the way. Tip: Spirit + Rogue = Warlock; which = tri-pronged staff attacks that can confuse and poison enemies; which = never getting touched.

--- I have a buddy and we played WoW together awhile back. WoW was my first and only MMO, but he was kind of a veteran of the genre and was a really good player. So there was a cap on the PVP battlegrounds, don't remember what, but I think he was level-70 which made him the highest in that bracket. Well, he got every best piece of equipment available; spruced them up with all the best enhancements; just decked out in the best possible gear one could have. He was a DPS-paladin. He literally tore through the enemy ranks and I will never forget watching him jumping toward the enemy group and seeing them scatter and run away as went in and started one-shotting people. Hilarious. And, being a Paladin, if he ever got in trouble he could just bubble up and heal and continue murdering. I think his final score was like 170, and I was 2nd at like 70 (playing a warrior tank, also completely decked out and essentially unkillable). Fun times.

Of course, the worst is what I didn't do. I used to have an SNES as a kid and there was this game called "Total Carnage" for it. Like a Smash TV rip on the Gulf War, basically. Game was hard as hell. I played through it countless times but I never, ever beat the last boss solo. Sticks in my craw to this day.

Gregz

Arcane
sser said:
--- I have a buddy and we played WoW together awhile back. WoW was my first and only MMO, but he was kind of a veteran of the genre and was a really good player. So there was a cap on the PVP battlegrounds, don't remember what, but I think he was level-70 which made him the highest in that bracket. Well, he got every best piece of equipment available; spruced them up with all the best enhancements; just decked out in the best possible gear one could have. He was a DPS-paladin. He literally tore through the enemy ranks and I will never forget watching him jumping toward the enemy group and seeing them scatter and run away as went in and started one-shotting people. Hilarious. And, being a Paladin, if he ever got in trouble he could just bubble up and heal and continue murdering. I think his final score was like 170, and I was 2nd at like 70 (playing a warrior tank, also completely decked out and essentially unkillable). Fun times.

Ugh...damn Ret Paladin's when they were most OP. I remember those times, paladins are still reviled to this day for shit like that.

:x

All right, your post reminded me of my most shameful/awesome multi-player powergaming moment...and I must share/confess.

Back in the days of Counter Strike 1.5 (before HL2 and CS:S) I had just installed a yet unknown headshot hack and speed hack. I would scan for full servers (16 vs. 16). I'd pop in, and before most players had bought their weapon and kevlar I'd be speedrunning their way with a para in my hands. The speedhack was so fast you couldn't even see me moving, so I'd reach the other team's spawn in about 2 seconds. I'd then pull the trigger while jump-running and watch the bot headshot all 16 players in the spawn in about 3 seconds flat. This worked best in open maps like Dust, and a few others. People would bitch and moan and do what I did when your Ret friend played battlegrounds....so then I'd switch teams, and do the same thing to the other side. Needless to say my presence was not appreciated and everyone would ragequit the server after a few rounds. Then I'd find another full server and rinse repeat. I did this for about a week before being banned from all the popular servers.

*sigh* Good times indeed. :smug:

sser

Arcane
Developer
I actually played some CS:S (not the original). I got so good that I became one of those players who entered casual servers and just ruined the fun for others. I remember I practiced with my sensitivity at max + cl-configurations, to where moving the mouse just a little sent it spinning. I mastered the pump-shotgun because you could jump and shoot and not lose accuracy. I played that game like it was Megaman and the hilarious thing is the shotgun had a really good tendency to dome people no matter the range; the only drawback was that at close-range it could also inexplicably fail on you.

I got banned from a lot of servers because my aim was so twitchy, and yet so dead-on accurate. I could play "serious" with all the main weapons and blah blah blah, but I preferred to just have my fun. Owning servers with the TMP or dualies or other shit weapons.

Counter-Strike is a fascinating game, though. It's funny that when you first play it and come across the AWP it's like, "WTF, one shot one kill?" But then as you play tactics and strategies develop and the AWP is used as a sort of sealer for areas. There's a lot of thinking that goes into the game which I think is why I enjoyed it beyond just trolling servers.

sser said:
I actually played some CS:S (not the original). I got so good that I became one of those players who entered casual servers and just ruined the fun for others. I remember I practiced with my sensitivity at max + cl-configurations, to where moving the mouse just a little sent it spinning. I mastered the pump-shotgun because you could jump and shoot and not lose accuracy. I played that game like it was Megaman and the hilarious thing is the shotgun had a really good tendency to dome people no matter the range; the only drawback was that at close-range it could also inexplicably fail on you.

I got banned from a lot of servers because my aim was so twitchy, and yet so dead-on accurate. I could play "serious" with all the main weapons and blah blah blah, but I preferred to just have my fun. Owning servers with the TMP or dualies or other shit weapons.

Counter-Strike is a fascinating game, though. It's funny that when you first play it and come across the AWP it's like, "WTF, one shot one kill?" But then as you play tactics and strategies develop and the AWP is used as a sort of sealer for areas. There's a lot of thinking that goes into the game which I think is why I enjoyed it beyond just trolling servers.

It's because it takes a bit of playing to realise just how vulnerable the guy with the AWP is to anyone coming from an area other than the one (or two if he's good) that he's covering. Even say that he's a decent player, prioritising a DE or similarly good sidearm, and alternating in and out of scope, while moving constantly. He still needs some non-AWPed buddy to watch his back, because otherwise he's relying on blind luck to be covering the right entrance at the right time to avoid getting a clip emptied into the back of his head.

Part of that is that when you first start, lots of multi-entrance rooms look like there's only 2 entrances. Take Dust2, bomb site A (I think it's A - the quick-plant option) - to a new player, it looks like if the T's plant there, all they need to cover is the tunnel and have the door that's 90 degrees to the tunnel (leading down the slope). They think - surely 2 AWPS can own that - one cover the tunnel, one cover the slope. But then there's also the entrance where a guy can climb in from the far corner, and that's poorly designed for AWP'g (you're better having an AK or colt with good distance aim, because an AWPer in that spot can't tell if someone in the lower corner can headshot him. Then there's the possibility of a flashbang, or even a smoke grenade coming in - especially a smoke grenade, but unlike an AK/colt, an AWP can't exactly just fill the area with lead to stop the charge, and suddenly the enemy are in your face en masse and that AWP is useless.

A couple of good AWPers on a pub team are ultra useful. More than that, and the team with a bunch of decent AK/colt players has the advantage.

Xor said:
hardened.veteran said:

Depends on what you consider cheating. There's a bug you can use to get an extra point of int from the Brotherhood, and another bug that lets you upgrade your luck twice from the fortune teller in Boneyard. I honestly don't remember where the other points came from; this playthrough was from two years ago.

Edit: You didn't count the strength bonus from power armor (+3) in your math. That puts the max at 59 with the bugs. So if anything I missed a stat point somewhere.

Oh yeah I forgot the power armor. Well I play with teamX patch so no bugs or exploits for me. That is why everything is as I described it, except I forgot about the power armor +3 thing... That brings the s.p.e.c.i.a.l batch total to 57, and if you exploited chuck in Boneyard to get 2 luck, that explains it... Great game though, always enjoy it. :)

My most memorable powergaming spree was in an online NWN (first one) roleplay server called Exaria. Roleplaying on that server was kinda dull, as I expected more usage of the engine since it was a new technology but players ended up standing around and typing emotes and poses; I had my fill of that on a LOTR MUSH I inhabited for years. The server had a curiously challenging and balanced spawn system and combat tweaks which none of the playerbase noticed so I sorta went with that.

I met some other players who had the same idea and we rolled a tight group of characters of different classes, plus alts, all built with powergaming in mind on a roleplaying server. Ended up we sorta dominated the economy and also hit the level cap with multiple toons, and helped others along the way. Some DMs of the server saw value in us for some reason and interacted with us with some epic combat encounters, and that made us stay on that server (those quests they created for us gave some unique loot, haha). We sorta fell into the 'these guys aren't roleplayers but they sure can help us bugtest the limits and loopholes of our combat and spawn mechanics' role for them. Also helps that we are civil gamers and didn't run around with our phatlewt and spoilt all the roleplayers' fun, and maintained some semblance of in-character'ness around others.

Aside: Though not totally ideal to powergaming, I ran a little powerhouse of a halfling weaponmaster/fighter/barbarian (one level for speed) wielding a scimitar. Hence my current forum-name.

shiggidyshwa

Novice
Back in Guild Wars, I used to love playing Mesmer. When my friends weren't online for some GvG or HoH, I'd roll a Me/Mo in the Arenas for some pub 4v4 action and just totally murder the other team's casters by interrupting their spells. I had some 50-0 days when the rest of my team was balanced enough with healer/tank/other. There was also a spell called Empathy that made the attacker take damage with every attack. Lulz.

My Pale Master/Eldricht Knight/Wizard in MotB started to feel pretty powerful towards the end. The multiple stats problem isn't so much a problem when you have belts that give something like +12 strength, and I thought it was ridiculous how you just walk in on some solars and such and one wail of the banshee slays them all. Tougher opponents you could just kill with Vampiric Feast. And you are immune to critical hits among other things. Though it doesn't matter I suppose, almost anything you do in that game makes you ultra-powerful.

It'd be nice if I could think of a PG thing I did in an actually challenging game.

roll-a-die

Magister
Successfully beat a YOU LOSE, being the only rule character. Gorriatrix was an epic show down.

And he was such an unruly Brujah too, he went on to kill Caine after that god-like eldritch being(Hot tip, because of how he's written he can drop himself to full 3 from 4, down to 1.)

The trick was buying up enough influence, eventually purchasing 2 nukes from China, drop them on Vienna. Then going there and beheading every torpid corpse he could find.

After of course diabing the Tremere down to the Vienna chantry, that Sabbat character just went too epic, too fast. At the end of it he was a 4th gen Brujah with 6000xp and was working on the extermination of every Vampire older than himself(Which was 23 years total at this point). My ST eventually ruled after killing Caine by throwing the entire Chinese Army at him, that god basically came down from on high and rewrote reality to fuck with me, Caine was back and he was legitimate immortal this time. So of course I then go out of my way to get a Changeling addicted to my blood and get him to grab Caine and port him into the deep dreaming.

Was never allowed to play with that particular troupe again. I was the person who just kept showing up and accruing XP without really giving anything to the overall plot because it was a city full of people that HATED vampire as much as I loved it. All settings no holds barred games were fun though, wish I could get more of those nowadays.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
FromWisdomToHate said:
Finished Kings bounty: armored princess on impossible with zero troop loss
Impossible. Just the tutorial will make you lose some troops. Unless by "zero troop loss" you mean that you never lost a whole unit?

MMXI said:
Probably killing Sarevok and his buddies within 15 seconds with one level capped fighter without resorting to any cheese tactics/kiting.
Was that in vanilla BG? Try again with TotSC and SCS installed, makes the ending fight an absolute bitch. In any case, how did you do that without any cheese?

Gregz

Arcane
GarfunkeL said:
FromWisdomToHate said:
Impossible. Just the tutorial will make you lose some troops. Unless by "zero troop loss" you mean that you never lost a whole unit?

Yeah, that's probably the most unlikely claim in this thread.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Gregz said:
GarfunkeL said:
FromWisdomToHate said:

Outside of the guy who claims he beat two dozen Beholders, a dozen fighters, and a dozen magicians in Curse of the Azure Bonds without Dust of Disappearance.

Gregz said:
GarfunkeL said:
FromWisdomToHate said:

3.jpg

4.jpg

In the DMCs I've played DMD with a fresh Dante. No carrying over powerups from an easier difficulty.

Finished Demon's Souls at lvl 1. Had a fun time invading low level's worlds for a few days with my doom gear.

In just about any good FPS I'll often play entire games on the hardest difficulty using nothing but the weakest pistol if its a viable option. Do similar things in RTSs as well (Starcraft with nothing but Marines).

In Guild Wars I (believe) I was the first person to reach the max rank of the lightbringer title. Several months before it was actually supposed to be available after Hard Mode was introduced. Devised a complex system of AoE degen, positioning, hero placement, and monster pulling to stack several groups of monsters that spawned more monsters and killed them just slowly enough that they would continually spawn more but fast enough that they didn't get out of control. Back then the spawns gave LB points, so I left the game on over a few nights. Done a bunch of other things in Guild Wars as well (Held HoH for ~2 hours with a pub team, 130 streak in RA).

Beat AI Wars just a few weeks back with 10/10 AI difficulty.

Finished a Dominions 3 game as LA Ermor.

Hmm, just thinking about these gives me new ideas for things I should try in other games.

GarfunkeL said:
FromWisdomToHate said:

I've done it. The game counts No Troop Loss as long as you end the battle with as many or more of each unit you started with. Summoned units don't count as well, you can spam those to your hearts content.

Its totally possible to beat the tutorial not losing troops normally (what I did my first time). But then you can also just dismiss everything other then the paladins and use them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom