Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Abandonware/Old Games -- How to Access HoT Underdogs

NoisyKillerHPB

Scholar
Can more of you guys recommend good adventures? I just got king's quest 6, remember playing it at least 10 years ago on my dad's crappy computer and it's nostalgic as shit.

Jason

chasing a bee
Read the 2 posts above you. Also go to the Abandoned Games Room like Role Player suggested and download all the Lucasarts ones (Sam & Max, Full Throttle, Monkey Island, etc).

taks

Liturgist
i'm curious how some of these titles became abandonware given that their original license holders are still around... TES and civ 2 come to mind?

taks

corvax

Augur
taks said:
i'm curious how some of these titles became abandonware given that their original license holders are still around... TES and civ 2 come to mind?
taks
TES: Arena is not abandonware per se...however it is available through Bethesda's website for FREE. The giveaway was part of the 10th anniversary of the game, hopefully they'll do the same with Daggerfall this year.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I'm trying to play Monkey Island...no sound. Some of the sound effects work (I'm using VDMSound, but it doesn't work in DosBox either). Any idea what's going on?

voodoo1man

Liturgist
So I was walking around without my underwear on today, when it hit me - there is no SEAL Team on the list! Best squad-level or even first person real time military simulation that has yet to be made.

voodoo1man

Liturgist
baby arm said:
Get to the point, man. Tell us about the underwear!

It was in my closet while I was going commando (SEALs are commandos too - get it :wink: :wink:).

I actually installed and played it a little bit today. The AI is a little dumber than I remember, but otherwise it's great. The pace is a big change from action-y games (and even games like Operation Flashpoint and Ghost Recon that are also 'tactical shooters'). Everything goes very very slowly right up until contact, and then the SHTF while you try to put as much lead into those VC gooks as possible all the while fumbling with the map to call in air support. I'm too lazy to have been in the army, but people who have say it is very realistic.

But I noticed more omissions - Crusaders no Regret and Remorse! If you haven't played them, they are really fun isometric shooters developed by Origin.

I can't figure out how to get any of these games to run. How the hell do you even use dosbox?

I'm trying to get Albion, Reunion, and Emperor of the Fading Sun to work, but they all fail; I extract them into a seperate folder, then doubleclick on whichever .exe seems most likely to set it up/launch the game.

Can someone like, compile a readme that guides me with babysteps through the whole installation/launching process?

Edit: Got Emperor of the Fading Sun to work

Tintin

Arbiter
VDMSSound got a fair bunch of games to actually work on my computer, where they would not even run before I used it.

THere are good tutorials on getting oldies to run at the-underdogs.org, so you should probably go there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom