Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Forums are up...

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Also I am not in any way criticizing (the fuck do I know anyway?) but if XenForo is so new and difficult to use why switch to this instead of another forum software?

Majestic47

Learned
This is seriously hurting my eyes, though that can be easily solved I guess. We should keep the image signatures disabled, that's just plain :decline:.
Simply head over to the preference and disable it. It's that simple.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Removing / preventing signature images doesn't seem to be an option either (though who knows, there are so many options buried up the ass of this shit it's not funny) so we might have to just ban everyone who puts an image in their sig.

Into EXTRA.css
Code:
/* Block BBcode from signatures (image, quote & code tags)*/
.signature .bbCodeBlock,
.signature .bbCodeImage {
display: none !important;
}

Edit: The documentation seems "ok" I guess. http://xenforo.com/community/threads/frequently-asked-questions.5183/

P. sure someone could code you the image gallery thingie. Could try myself, but paid software...

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
i hate these new popamole forums already...
edit: and it resizes and mutilates avatars. wtf is this? i want my old one back in its unaltered pixel glory :(

Antagonist

Liturgist
The latest iteration constitutes a huge improvement from a readability point of view.

NINJA EDIT:

Does the forum software support highlighting of topics with new posts since the last visit? Bonus points for cross-browser support (vBulletin, for instance, will keep track of read topics for individual accounts irregardless of the machine/browser you are using. Quite handy).

NINJA EDIT 2:

Just noticed the blue dots. Personally I would prefer the topic names to be written in bold.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Damn you, DU. This is shit! Just go to some other forum software, I'm sure that'd be better! And fuck you and the work you put in here!

Nah, seriously, it's already much better than yesterday. At least it's not eye-cancer inducing anymore. Since it seems like you're just lazing around in the sun I'll make some suggestions (that you'd never have thought of yourself) to get your ass working again:
Remove the "Like" button or add a "dislike" button.
Sigs still need a stronger separation from posts. Perhaps lock them to a smaller font size.
Forum navigation UI should also be adapted to the codex colour-scheme.
Show useful stuff (like page numbers of a thread) without mousing over the thread title. Best get rid of the shitty mouse-over-tooltips altogether...

ortucis

Prophet
Isn't there an option to increase how many posts are visible per page for this forum? That is the most annoying thing in such forums, no post limit. I always set mine to 40 (I think there was an option in old forums) when possible. Low post limit per page sucks.

Other than small text size, post limits and WIP skin, the new forum is a nice upgrade.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Unfortunately, too many back- and fore- ground colors are specifically marked for "slightly less white" and "illegible on anything but white or slightly less" to make the alt style really "work" for now. It's fine within actual posts, but everything else is a mish-mash of invisible or eye-straining text.

This. Some pop-ups are a pain to read now.

If possible I would like the return of ability to quote a quote within a previous post as well as the post in question with out having to go through all the trouble of doing so manually.
Also, this.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Into EXTRA.css
Code:
/* Block BBcode from signatures (image, quote & code tags)*/
.signature .bbCodeBlock,
.signature .bbCodeImage {
display: none !important;
}

Edit: The documentation seems "ok" I guess. http://xenforo.com/community/threads/frequently-asked-questions.5183/

P. sure someone could code you the image gallery thingie. Could try myself, but paid software...
Well that's pretty easy then I guess but yeah, most of the documentation (the really useful stuff) seems to be in forums and I've been lucky with a few google attempts but not others. :/ Silly me had been reading the on-site documentation but wasn't finding much useful at all. Hell, I just had to fight CSS for a few hours trying to find out why I couldn't get the background the right colour - turns out it was inheriting properties from all over the place. The rule of thumb seems to be to stick everything in EXTRA.css and whack an !important on it. My only concern is that by using CSS, I'm pretty sure the image is still loaded (but not shown obv).

Images should now will no longer show in signatures.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
@DU

Aaaah, much better. Your other question about alternating background colours for posts is also answered in that FAQ.

Remove the "Like" button or add a "dislike" button.
Sigs still need a stronger separation from posts. Perhaps lock them to a smaller font size.
Forum navigation UI should also be adapted to the codex colour-scheme.
Show useful stuff (like page numbers of a thread) without mousing over the thread title. Best get rid of the shitty mouse-over-tooltips altogether...

The thread preview mouse-over at least is extremely handy. No longer will I need to open inanely named threads to find out what it actually contains.

Some of things I miss from the old layout:
- Post date coming ABOVE the post itself
- Sticky/locked/moved etc. icon on left hand side
- Fixed width. Large screens, lots of loooong one liners to read. Of course this time the scaling can be made much smarter.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
Also I am not in any way criticizing (the fuck do I know anyway?) but if XenForo is so new and difficult to use why switch to this instead of another forum software?
phpBB3 disappointed me with a few of their design decisions. Specifically, for a very long time quick reply (that thing everyone uses) was not a default option. Given the number of times we had to re-install that after every upgrade with phpBB 2.0, I seriously could not be fucked going with software where that sort of thinking was still in place (the argument was "it's just another page to load! that's not much!"). Compare that with fucking alerts popping out the whazoo and shit just happening instantly like it is now and you should understand why. XF is enjoyable to post in as a user.

There's also the fact that XF is built by pro's and it was about time we had something pro here (less pain to deal with). Case in point the conversion from phpBB 2 -> 3 had me dicking around editing a file every time the converter crashed (which was often) changing how many queries it should process at any one time and trying to pick a value that made it as fast as possible - then editing it down when it crashed, eventually doing things one-by-one until it crashed on the specific error, fix the error then up the value to max and repeat. With XF, I just hit a button and it did it's shit - and I walked away and left it. It crashed once and I just re-started. Shit that "just works" is nice.

And every teething issue we have we were going to have with whatever forum software we went with (if not this, I'd be whinging about the incomprehensible permissions system of phpBB3 and the stupid styling system there). XF will eventually have all the things we want and more too. It's built by the guys that did VBulletin - before they were bought out and VB went to shit. SMF is nice (I've used that before) but too "last-gen" and would've meant an upgrade when it went next-gen anyway (which they've been promising to do for a few years now).

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Fuck, I hardly got to rock my excellent sig-pics. Fucking DU and his constant "updating to please his audience", get with the times, man.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
@DU
The thread preview mouse-over at least is extremely handy. No longer will I need to open inanely named threads to find out what it actually contains.
Definitely.

- Fixed width. Large screens, lots of loooong one liners to read. Of course this time the scaling can be made much smarter.
100% agree with the first one. Being able to instantly to see when a post was made, before reading it, would be useful.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
@DU

Aaaah, much better. Your other question about alternating background colours for posts is also answered in that FAQ.
I noticed, thanks for that. I'm just happy I finally got a fucking background colour. Heh.

Yep.

Yeah, been meaning to change that.

Codex was never fixed width...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom