Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Magnetic Scrolls games are good.

MasPingon

Arcane
Say what you will about Risen 2's corridor-islands, turning a corner to see a ship out in the bay and a rowboat on the shore, then taking that rowboat out, slaughtering the crew, stealing the ship, then selling it to the stranded soldiers on the other side of the island... well it's kinda fun.

Except you can't do any of this things, including sailing a fucking boat. But hey, what did I expect from a pirate game

A user named cat

Magnetic Scrolls games are good.
Yeah I grabbed that one too. I think the first game in the trilogy had you start in a fish bowl upside-down, if I'm not mistaken.

I've been digging through a ton of these random abandonware gems I missed since I didn't have a PC in the 90's. A lot of them seem really cool, brings me back to trying Zork and Leisure Suit Larry on school computers as a kid. Just got Noctropolis working through D-Fend and it looks pretty intruiging too. Reminds of when EA took risks.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Indeed, there are a lot of half-forgotten adventure games that are really great (even more so than is the case with CRPGs). Digging through the 80s and 90s games archives can bring you quite a few gems, that's why I adore doing that myself.

zwanzig_zwoelf

"Animals like Russians and Poles are usually attacking and raping in packs."
2v1kcgm.jpg

I want to be a little princess.
2rfrd6v.jpg

...Or a little bitch, perhaps.
2i052s7.jpg

MasPingon

Arcane
Yeah, ship sailing in pirates game is just nonessential gimmick

In a game like this it would be, yes. I'm not a fan of "oh here is a completely different game inside your walking around open world action RPG, enjoy!"

It wasn't open world game more then The Witcher 2. It was just couple of separate maps full of corridors imitating "an open world". Making pirates game without sailing is like making ninja game without stealth - you can be sure you will fail with that. Ever played Sea Dogs? I got a feeling Risen 2 devs didn't

Behelit

Augur
1E5DC3DAE89E96C1E7BDD197E8063F56414C5B72

Battlefield fellatio​
03B5B37BC85F2E1ABDC6CE85D5EA0079E99818F4
SSSssshhh! I'm hunting wabbits!​

Indranys

Savant
Is Fear Effect good guys?
People say the gameplay is similar to RE, but with more action and NO zombies.
If that's true then I'll play the game.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Is Fear Effect good guys?
People say the gameplay is similar to RE, but with more action and NO zombies.
If that's true then I'll play the game.

Go play it.
There are some zombie-like creatures in the first one, but as far as I remember, they appear only in 1 episode.
Also, there is stealth. Primitive, but stealth.

Indranys

Savant
Go play it.
There are some zombie-like creatures in the first one, but as far as I remember, they appear only in 1 episode.
Thanks bro.
The cell shaded graphics are among the coolest I've seen in videogames. Much much better than Borderlands or Japanese shit. What's going on here? o_O
Time to pop some moles in the good old ways! :cool:

zwanzig_zwoelf

Go play it.
Thanks bro.
The cell shaded graphics are among the coolest I've seen in videogames. Much much better than Borderlands or Japanese shit. What's going on here? o_O
Time to pop some moles in the good old ways! :cool:

I like the cel-shading there too. That game really kicks ass with Chinese setting and all that crime-turned-wrong drama.
And some of the ingame moments are pretty hilarious.

Indranys

Savant
I like the cel-shading there too. That game really kicks ass with Chinese setting and all that crime-turned-wrong drama.
And some of the ingame moments are pretty hilarious.
And this kind of game was supposedly to be the popamole action games for mainstream back in the days yes?
Man the decline of game industry is too deep, too nasty.
There's no way to recover I say, there's no hope left. :(

Kirtai

Augur
Indeed, there are a lot of half-forgotten adventure games that are really great (even more so than is the case with CRPGs). Digging through the 80s and 90s games archives can bring you quite a few gems, that's why I adore doing that myself.

Everyone remembers Infocom but it seems very few remember Level 9, Magnetic Scrolls or Scott Adams adventures. I had a full set of the former two and the latter are available for free now.

Damn, I should fire up Gargoyle and see how much I remember.

A user named cat

Dynamix have a few good ones too. Rise of the Dragon and Willy Beamish I played back on Sega CD. Looks like the DOS versions are much better despite Dragon not having voices. I just found and grabbed Heart of China too which also looks promising. I can't believe I never played any Tex Murphies, Police Quests or Gabriel Knights before either. Too many adventures, not enough time in the world to beat them all.

Qatesh

Educated
Oh God why in the hell I've started playing Amnesia...
No ss to provide, I've just passed the water scene...you know...

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It wasn't open world game more then The Witcher 2. It was just couple of separate maps full of corridors imitating "an open world". Making pirates game without sailing is like making ninja game without stealth - you can be sure you will fail with that. Ever played Sea Dogs? I got a feeling Risen 2 devs didn't

I'm not defending the game in all aspect, I am saying a sailing mini-game would not have made it better. Honestly nailing the pirate and colonization feel is one of the things the game does extraordinarily well. I don't even mind the world being split into islands, makes sense for the setting. What I DO mind is how corridor-heavy those islands are.

doggfookker

Educated
Some shots from Faggout: Fag Vegas: Ultra Edgy Edition

vgRxBvt.jpg

Chillin' with Ed-E

FjlnHeW.jpg

Bro done got x-treme crucifixion

pJHTwkJ.jpg

Me & Ed-E smokin' a bowl indoors

0t2t2TI.jpg

Lake Bloom

mYpGta3.jpg

'Bout to hit the bong

cP4EHsL.jpg

High AS FUCK in this picture

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Sawyer likes claustrophobic FOV?

He was asked about New Vegas' FOV on formspring forever ago and dismissed changing it. Said it had nothing to do with consoles, was all about avoiding fisheye. I forget the details but he seemed pretty annoyed by the whole thing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom