Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Legend of Grimrock 2's Skill System Explained

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Almost Human Games; Legend of Grimrock 2

The official Legend of Grimrock 2 blog has a new post about the game's new and improved skill system. Here's the description:

Goals of the new skill system

When we started throwing around ideas about the new skill system, a few things came up often in the discussions. Firstly, every character level gained should feel special. Essentially this means that every skillpoint spent should improve the character in some way. In contrast the skill system of Grimrock 1 was designed so that you get a benefit every time you crossed a threshold in a skill. If you spent points in multiple skills, or otherwise didn’t reach the threshold, the character did not really advance at that character level. Combined with the fact that skills were very deep (maxed out at level 50), this resulted in a situation where optimal strategy is to pump all skill points into very few skills. Especially with magic skills, this resulted in mages specializing in one or two schools of spells, which resulted in fewer spells to be available to mage. Fewer spells = less fun to the player. Also at higher levels, spending skillpoints became almost automatic and there was less decision making involved.

With LoG2 skill system we want to have more diversity and every level up should present an important choice to the player. After talking about this for a while, we realized that a minor tweak to the system is not enough. A major redesign was required.

Shorter skill trees

In LoG2 when you gain a level, you are rewarded with only one skillpoint. To counterbalance this the skill trees are much shorter. This way, every skillpoint spent matters now and there aren’t any intermediate skill levels. In fact, most skills are only 1-3 levels deep and there are many on/off kind of perks that you can buy. Some skills have other skills as prerequisites. For example, the Shield Expert skill requires that you have spent at least one point in Armors.

Technically speaking, the skills available to your character form “a forest of short skill trees”. Shorter skill trees mean that you can max out a skill with a few level ups (assuming that you meet the prerequisites), so this should encourage spreading points in multiple skills.

The skill system is also connected to the secondary actions of items described in an earlier post: some secondary actions are only available if you have enough points in a skill. For example, all characters can wield any axe found in the game, but only Fighters that have at least 1 point in Axes, can use the Devastating Cleave secondary attack of the Great Axe.

The skills available to your character are based on your character’s class. Every class has its own skill tree, but some skills are also shared by multiple classes. But there’s more to this! We have folded races into this same system, so that every race has a mini skill tree with unique race specific skills and perks! Some racial skills are automatic (e.g. all Ratling’s automatically get the Plagued skill), other skills you can choose how and when to advance. Insectoids can develop a thicker shell by spending points in the Chitin Armor skill and so on.

A nice feature of this is that it unifies traditional skills, perks and racial traits under the same system. So adding a new skill or trait is exactly the same and we have to maintain only one system.
Sounds promising. The full post has some examples of specific skills and perks, with relevant images.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Sounds better and better. I was hoping AH will improve on character progression and combat, and it sounds like it's exactly what they're doing.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Good change. Grimrock's character system was flawed to the extent that you were better off dumping points in only two skills. At least with this there might be some tradeoffs and thought required in where to spend your points.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Trees look a bit too small unless there's a dozen classes or so.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Eh, they're fine. Grimrock isn't a deep tactical RPG or even a moderately skill-based ARPG. The skills in the first game were very simplistic and, again, most were so mediocre or not worth a minor investment that you're better off just picking two and ignoring the rest. It's a distinct improvement without going overboard in what is a fairly casual blobber.

Micmu

Magister
Grimrock's original system was so basic and boring even fucking Diablo2-like skill trees are an improvement.
Hopefully spells get an overhaul, too - like more variety, because that was shit, too.

oljebox

Educated
I don't like short skill trees. A plethora of shallow skill trees can be just as uninteresting as fewer, deeper ones. My experience has been that too many skill trees has a negative effect on my overall opinion of the game, because it ends up feeling tacky and incoherent. See Torchlight 2.

there are many on/off kind of perks that you can buy.

This, I almost always dislike. Permanent perks tend not to be fun. They usually make the game easier without making it any funner or more interesting.

They could do something great with it, I guess, but considering how few games have gotten this combination right ... I'd be worried.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

This, I almost always dislike. Permanent perks tend not to be fun. They usually make the game easier without making it any funner or more interesting.

They could do something great with it, I guess, but considering how few games have gotten this combination right ... I'd be worried.
I also prefer systems that combine attributes, skills and perks somehow.
Like Fallout does. But this is definitely an improvement of the Grimrock 1 system.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I don't like short skill trees. A plethora of shallow skill trees can be just as uninteresting as fewer, deeper ones. My experience has been that too many skill trees has a negative effect on my overall opinion of the game, because it ends up feeling tacky and incoherent. See Torchlight 2.

Torchlight 2 skill trees were fine. As far as Grimrock, did you play the first one? This is a clear improvement.

Stabwound

Arcane
Grimrock's skill system was almost exactly the same as the one from Dragon Quest 8, except worse. Unlike many games where further skill points have diminishing returns, Grimrock did the opposite and made the skills more powerful the more points you put into them, so it was clearly far and away the best strategy to dump everything into a single skill or two. Coupled with the fact that most of them were weapon-related, they might as well not have had a "skill tree" at all.

GR2 doesn't look to be much more complex, but it's at least an improvement.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
In my book Grimrock was an entertaining blobber with a completely fucked up skill system. Its brokeness was in stark contrast with the rest of the game which was very solid. I'm not gonna give it another go but I had fun and reading this I'm definitely looking forward to the next one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom