Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Thing is, we're 100% slut. If we flip it to the opposite the way Wang did to Ahura, we'll be 100% pure. I'm sticking with my vote.

The dichotomy of slutness and purity. SJWs would throw a fit at this thread. :lol:

Absinthe

Arcane
Updated tally:
Code:
╔══════════════════════════╗	╔══════════════════════════╗
║        Voting A	   ║	║         Voting B	   ║
╠═══════════════════════╤══╣	╠═══════════════════════╤══╣
║asxetos		│A ║	║ERYFKRAD		│B ║
║Azira			│A ║	║Baltika9		│B ║
║profreshinal		│A ║	║Zero Credibility	│B ║
║Ganymede		│A ║	║XenomorphII		│B ║
║Rex Feral	        │A ║	║RealDDc		│B ║
║			│  ║	║			│  ║
║Smashing Axe		│A ║	║Jester			│B ║
║Tribute		│A ║	║GreyViper		│B ║
║Kipeci			│A ║	║Esquilax	        │B ║
║Absinthe		│A ║	║Kz3r0		        │B ║
║The Brazilian Slaughter│A ║	╟───────────────────────┼──╢
║			│  ║	║Total			│9 ║
║Kashmir Slippers	│A ║	╚═══════════════════════╧══╝	
║Lambchop19		│A ║
║ScubaV			│A ║
║Akkudakku		│A ║
║Nevill			│A ║
║			│  ║
║Tigranes		│A ║
║Elfberserker		│A ║
╟───────────────────────┼──╢
║Total			│17║
╚═══════════════════════╧══╝
A-17 B-9
A leading by 8 votes.

Treave, care to lock the votes?

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I'll close the votes in about four hours or so, got a bit of stuff to do. Eh, how do you do that code?

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Why is this so hard?
Then again, the statement All flows from the Origin, All returns to the Origin isn't quite true with B; your goal there is to ensure that everything, yin or yang, becomes primordial chaos. A seems to embody that philosophy better in that we know how to cultivate chaos, but we don't know how to make order flow from it. Fuck this is nerve-wracking.
Treave mentioned the risks in an earlier quote I can't be arsed to find right now, if that helps:
One is an untested technique. The other risks us "exploding" if we over do it. Trying to eat Ahura's qi AND the flame sounds like overdoing it to me.

Ganymede

Learned
B is just straight up DEVOUR SOUL. It won't work, and the only argument in favor is that Jing has channeled his qi to the point of physical agony several times in the past. Hey it worked then, surely that means it will always work right?

Thing is, this isn't a fight against a teenager or a Zhang training sequence. It's the eternal flame of Zoroaster, you may as well try to swallow the fucking ocean.

A challenge completely outside of our frame of reference requires a different approach. You don't just eat a punch full on from say, the Guardian of Metal, you dodge. Or better yet...
Battle’s End

Vairya reaches the Grand Taoist first. His fist slams into the old man’s face – Wang had not even the time to dodge. Or so you thought: it instantly becomes clear that he had no need to dodge. The old Taoist’s body moves in an undulating manner, his head slowly shifting backwards as his palm comes up. It barely touches Vairya in a gentle push, but he is flung away as if a giant log had smashed into him...

Anabanana

Augur
Well, if we digest the flames properly we can turn it into chaotic qi and it won't be the eternal flame anymore.

Esquilax

Arcane
Then we run screaming out of the fire.

Are we going to absorb the entire Eternal Flame in B?

Yep.

All flows from the Origin and returns to the Origin. The chaos is infinite in its depth, and boundless in its hunger – in the end, all returns to it, no matter yin or yang. You will not let pain nor a crushed throat stop you; Ahura’s amateur use of his chaotic qi will not match yours. You draw in and absorb everything you can: you will take in the Eternal Flame and Ahura’s qi – all of it – no matter how much it hurts you. You are not sure whether your body will be able to handle the strain of channeling such power, but your willpower will not be shaken by such petty concerns. After all, you are the disciple of Zhang Jue.

I'm not sure if we're going to be going in with the intention of devouring the whole Eternal Flame, rather just devouring Ahura's qi and then using that to withstand the punishment to the point that when we're done there isn't a flame any longer. But I don't see how you can devour something called an Eternal Flame.

I don't get what you're saying. B is seducing the flames with our sluttitude, A is pretending to be a good girl for a while.

Well, that's exactly what Lambchop is saying. Big Wang figured out a way to make Ahura turn slut pretty much instantly - the man's pimp game is pretty unbelievable, I must say.

Well, if we digest the flames properly we can turn it into chaotic qi and it won't be the eternal flame anymore.

I think the point that Ganymede is getting at is "how the fuck do you eat something that is eternal?" Our qi might function like a bottomless well, but our physical form sure doesn't. Look at what happened when we strained our qi during the Hundred Man Battle - this is much, much worse than that in terms of strain.

Baltika9

Arcane
Treave mentioned the risks in an earlier quote I can't be arsed to find right now, if that helps:
One is an untested technique. The other risks us "exploding" if we over do it. Trying to eat Ahura's qi AND the flame sounds like overdoing it to me.
My reasoning goes that Jung already survived a great deluge of destructive qi under our Master's ministrations for seven days. We can hold out for five minutes or so here.
Jing survived through willpower back then, and we have only gotten more practiced in that regard:
You refused to give up and die.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

My reasoning goes that Jung already survived a great deluge of destructive qi under our Master's ministrations for seven days. We can hold out for five minutes or so here.
Sorry, I'm impressed by Zhang too, but this is qi on a whole other level than even he possesses. Besides, it's not a quesion of "holding out" under a flow of destructive qi, it's a question of whether our water-balloon of a physical body can swallow an ocean without popping.

RealDDc

Learned
Maybe it helps to compare qi with electricity rather than water. Else every figure in this CYOA with a massive qi storage would be bloated like a baloon. At least thats how I imagine it.

Anabanana

Augur
Hmm, if we look at the update itself again:

As if on cue, the Eternal Flame erupts around you, roaring back to life and blinding your vision again. For some reason, the white fire does not harm you; instead, its essence seeps into your body. You feel the impurities in your inner strength being burnt away as it reacts with your qi. You grow gradually weaker, and the fire grows steadily hotter, as if feeding off your life force. The heat is starting to become unbearable. Your qi begins to go out of control as it attempts to fight off the Eternal Flame, with your body as the battlefield. A terrible pain shoots throughout your entire body, almost knocking you out: it is a familiar one, one that you felt once before when Master Zhang destroyed your meridians.

You grit your teeth, but Ahura screams, and his fingers crush your throat. You choke, gasping for breath as blood begins bubbling out of your mouth, but still you keep your grip on him. In the mad god’s desperation you feel his qi pouring into you, attempting to destroy you from inside out. You try to absorb it, to mitigate the damage that he is doing, but the sheer torrent of qi is almost too much for your body to handle. It is half light and half dark, orderly and chaotic, and suddenly you realize what the Grand Taoist had done.

Seems like we're absorbing Ahura's qi, but not the Eternal Flame. Like, our qi is automatically trying to fight it. I'm not sure that we can actually digest the flame itself.

Baltika9

Arcane
The plan in B is to seduce and corrupt the Flame, making it digestible. Since Order, Flame, is destined to return to Chaos, us, I think that it's doable.

Tribute

Arbiter
Order and chaos are both transient. Order forms out of chaos, then order returns to chaos, then order inevitably forms out of chaos again. This cyclical pattern is represented through everything, up to and including imperial dynasties.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Order and chaos are both transient. Order forms out of chaos, then order returns to chaos, then order inevitably forms out of chaos again. This cyclical pattern is represented through everything, up to and including imperial dynasties.
The sea of endless creation from which all comes forth is hardly order.

Absinthe

Arcane
I'll close the votes in about four hours or so, got a bit of stuff to do. Eh, how do you do that code?
Eh, I'm from the DOS era of computing. This is all in the DOS extended ASCII character set (CP437, these days if you look for extended ASCII you find CP1252). Honestly those spaces between the lines shouldn't even be there. That's just a result of some unusual formatting that the codex forum applies.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Ah, alright. Thought it was some Xenforo function that allows you to create tables. Thanks for the info though.

Tribute

Arbiter
No, but it's an expression of the Way/Dao/Tao.

Non-existence is named the Antecedent of heaven and earth; and Existence is named the Mother of all things. In eternal non-existence, therefore, man seeks to pierce the primordial mystery; and, in eternal existence, to behold the issues of the Universe. But these two are one and the same, and differ only in name.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Yeah, this is the Taoist stuff. Just wait till we get to the formlessness techniques of Buddhist origin. :lol:

Tribute

Arbiter
Well, I'm referring to Taoist stuff because it was given in context of yin and yang, which IIRC is more Taoist than Buddhist.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Cao'er lied, Qilin is pregnant after all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom