Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News PC Gaming Show at E3 2015: Pillars of Eternity: The White March Expansion Pack Announced

likaq

Arcane
Fallout 3 or Skyrim are much more enjoyable experiences than Wasteland 2.

I'm officially requesting ban or at least a proper tag for this guy.

Ulrox

Arbiter
Fears, by definition, are not rational. Logic reasoning is the death of fears.

The fear of imminent death if you jump of mount everest is not rational? - The fear of being burnt if you put your finger into a fire is not rational? I agree somewhat that fears 'often' aren't rational, but it is not a black or white thing where all fears are not rational, some are.

I'll try to explain further, for your very sake. First, I perceive the games as similar in "category", scope and expectation, namely the "new releases that are the direct legacy to some epic milestone of old" subgenre. Secondly, let's be honest, inXile doesn't exactly have the most sterling of track records, when it comes to games released: the only 3 RPGS released so far are BT(2004), Hunted (PEW PEW!), and WL2 (which I haven't played but has been receiving very mixed reactions, a bit leaning towards the shit side, to be honest). The rest of their titles aren't exactly worth even mentioning, in all fairness.

Fair enough. You're not alone when it comes to this way of thinking it would seem.

Oh, about fans not having influence over a game's development, there is at least a whole company, which I shall not mention, whose last 5 titles strongly beg to differ.

Yeah, what I meant was that fan's dont have much influence over design aspects unless ofcourse the designers/developers listen to the fans, which is hardly the case with Josh Sawyer. You are quite right that fans have a powerful financial influence and if developers wish to listen, then fans can also have an influence on design.

That said, I backed it and can't wait to get my hands on it. I'm just extremely ready for disappointment.

Yeah, not getting hyped is sensible - I just personally can't really help it. Whenever I listen to Colin Mccomb the inner fanboyism comes out because he is awesome to listen to. Articulate and hits the right sensibilities as I said before.

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
then again, inxile did make Wasteland 2, a piece of crap attempt at a post apocalyptic turn based rpg that manages to make even PoE look good.

I accept your argument as sensible, but I still have faith that InXile can deliver. They're using PoE's engine and have a somewhat larger amount of money to work with this game on. It seems logical to me that T:ToN will atleast be somewhat superior to PoE.

So yeah, here's the deal. Aging RPG players tend to suffer from a malady I call "fillerphobia" - an increasingly crippling aversion to anything that smacks of repetition. For that reason alone, many Codexers will consider T:ToN the superior game by definition, no matter what it does. This also explains the overnight massive popularity of the Shadowrun games here, once HBS got past their awkward birthing phase after the OC (which many posters now claim wasn't so bad after all).

This is such a divisive factor, that in the future, the Codex may need to actually taxonomically separate the RPG genre into two branches - "traditional" RPGs and filler-free RPGs.

Last edited:

Kem0sabe

Arcane

I'm officially requesting ban or at least a proper tag for this guy.

dick.0.gif

archer-xray.gif

Ulrox

Arbiter
So yeah, here's the deal. Aging RPG players tend to suffer from a malady I call "fillerphobia" - an increasingly crippling aversion to anything that smacks of repetition. For that reason alone, many Codexers will consider T:ToN the superior game by definition, no matter what it does.

Makes sense. Part of my problem with filler is that I played WoW for 5 years or so. After that experience I had trouble dealing with too grindy games. There was such a drought of good PC games back then, that the only game to waste time on was WoW. Part of that aversion is learned behavior because WoW has a very negative impact on ones social life.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Hmm, quite some hate for Wasteland and PoE. They deserve plenty critics but those games are not "shit". Compared to the hitchhiking simulators and the age of anal dragons, they are miles away from the toilets with those 2. Dont tell me you guys liked Follout 3 more than Wasteland 2.

Between the 2 I also liked Wasteland more, especially because TB combat. Other than that, it felt good playing both games. Most of the time. I mean they are decent and it feels similar in atmosphere with the old games we love. Not the great games we were hoping for but both the developers and us are older and different now. And most of us burnt by the long drought.

Still, considering what games we could play in the last years before Kickstarter hit, this is not bad time to play in at all. Yes, I wish I was 20 and playing Torment again, but that wont come back. And Torment like Torment but I used to court two sisters, 18, with the best asses ever....;) Now they are almost hags I guess. As the developers are. As we are. I say Wasteland 2 and PoE are the classics getting older. It sucks to get old. Or we can accept it.

trying too hard.

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They also say the expansion pack will bring "multi-class abilities". WTF does that mean? I guess talents available to multiple classes that grant abilities.

EDIT: Oh, I see, this shit is all from the press release:

Pillars of Eternity First Expansion Named 'The White March: Part 1'

Fan-funded Expansion to Critically Acclaimed RPG Revealed at E3

LOS ANGELES — June 16, 2015 — Obsidian Entertainment and Paradox Interactive today revealed the name and the first details of an expansion to Pillars of Eternity, the role-playing game (RPG) funded by over 70 thousand backers. The expansion, titled “The White March: Part 1,” will extend the story and experience of Pillars of Eternity, as well as adding a higher level cap, new multi-class abilities, new companions including the rogue and monk , a new party based AI system, and much more to the game. The expansion, originally offered as a pledge add-on during the game’s incredibly successful crowdfunding campaign, was revealed by Obsidian and Paradox at E3, and will be coming soon for Windows, Max, and Linux PC.

A trailer for The White March: Part 1 is visible here, with a glimpse of what is coming next to the world of Eora.

“The response to Pillars of Eternity has been incredible,” said Feargus Urquhart, CEO of Obsidian Entertainment. “We knew, when we started work on the game following our crowdfunding campaign, we had the potential to create the kind of game world we’d want to visit again and again for a very long time. The White March is just the second step in our own long campaign to bring more and more of the Pillars of Eternity world to life, but with us always making sure we live up to the faith our fans have placed in us.”

“Our partnership with Obsidian couldn’t have started on a higher note than with Pillars of Eternity,” said Fredrik Wester, CEO of Paradox Interactive. “It was clear to us, from the beginning, that Obsidian had a deep connection to their fans, and with the tremendous success of Pillars of Eternity, there’s no doubt in our mind that they understand what players want from an RPG. We’re looking forward to working with their team for a long time to come.”

Pillars of Eternity is an RPG inspired by classic titles such as Baldur’s Gate, Icewind Dale, and Planescape: Torment, featuring an original world and game system that evokes and improves upon the traditional computer RPG experience. The first expansion, originally offered to fans as a pledge add-on during a crowdfunding campaign, will continue the game’s rich story and expand upon its detailed, original world. Named “The White March: Part 1,” the expansion will also raise the in-game level cap and let players meet new companions, unlock new abilities, and meet new challenges in their own unique manner.

For more information on Pillars of Eternity, visit http://pillarsofeternity.com/.

Last edited:

Turok

Erudite
So in conclusion.

If a game sell, is shit.

If it sell more than normal is the shittiest game ever.

Both WL2 and POE are shit game then.

It's very nice learn english in the codex.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
So yeah, here's the deal. Aging RPG players tend to suffer from a malady I call "fillerphobia" - an increasingly crippling aversion to anything that smacks of repetition. For that reason alone, many Codexers will consider T:ToN the superior game by definition, no matter what it does. This also explains the overnight massive popularity of the Shadowrun games here, once HBS got past their awkward birthing phase after the OC
Holy blind fanboyism batman! "Aging RPG players" don't like boring repetitive filler content that is designed to artifically extend playtime and waste your time? Yeah, I'm sure it's not that anyone who isn't a blind fanboy would object to this kind of timewasting. It's not as if grindy and boring filler content has been slammed since the 80s in every possible genre of games. And I'm sure that's the explanation for why Dragonfall is liked better than DMS. Or maybe, you know, the quality of said content was better in one? Nah, inconceivable!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Holy blind fanboyism batman!

I'm simply making an observation.

It's not as if grindy and boring filler content has been slammed since the 80s in every possible genre of games.

And yet we all grinded through mob-infested dungeon after mob-infested dungeon, testing our party's mettle, proud of our handiwork and glad to earn what little bits of unique content we found at the other side.

And I'm sure that's the explanation for why Dragonfall is liked better than DMS. Or maybe, you know, the quality of said content was better in one? Nah, inconceivable!

No, that has nothing to do with it really. Although now that you mention it, those people who didn't like DMS's very last level with the bugs, despite the fact that it was the only truly challenging combat in the game...

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So yeah, here's the deal. Aging RPG players tend to suffer from a malady I call "fillerphobia" - an increasingly crippling aversion to anything that smacks of repetition. For that reason alone, many Codexers will consider T:ToN the superior game by definition, no matter what it does. This also explains the overnight massive popularity of the Shadowrun games here, once HBS got past their awkward birthing phase after the OC (which many posters now claim wasn't so bad after all).

This is such a divisive factor, that in the future, the Codex may need to actually taxonomically separate the RPG genre into two branches - "traditional" RPGs and filler-free RPGs.
Fallout has nearly no filler, perhaps the codex was founded upon fillerphobia.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom