Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars: The Old Republic will kill WoW - outsourced to Broadsword

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Huh, whuzzat, whasgoinon

5nurud.jpg

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Another Cantina event... another item to share: http://www.swtor.com/user/ce/2wbq7

Also some more info, including a new trailer

In Cologne, Germany, EA began its press conference for Gamescom 2015 with the typical action sequence montage from single-player games, but what MMO fans were looking forward to was Star Wars: The Old Republic and its next expansion Knights of the Fallen Empire. And EA delivered, giving us a new trailer that revealed load-lifter full of hidden information.

As you might have guessed from the previous trailer, Emperor Valkorion is not a nice guy, and your character, along with what appeared to be Dark Council member Darth Marr, confront this new evil emperor for his crimes against the Empire and Republic. But there is a twist, and Valkorian offers you a deal: “I’ll share all of this with you, if you’ll only kneel.”

Studio Game Director James Ohlen gave everyone a treat, saying that if you sign up as a subscriber during Gamescom (by August 10th, according to the official website), you’ll get smuggler Nico Okarr as a companion.

And so that you don’t have to comb through the hour’s worth of presentation just to get a nugget from SWTOR, we dropped the full trailer below.

Here's a lot of new screenshots:

swtor_kotfe_screenshot_01-1024x576.jpg

swtor_kotfe_screenshot_02-1024x576.jpg

swtor_kotfe_screenshot_03-1024x576.jpg

swtor_kotfe_screenshot_04-1024x576.jpg

swtor_kotfe_screenshot_05-1024x576.jpg

swtor_kotfe_screenshot_06-1024x576.jpg

swtor_kotfe_screenshot_07-1024x576.jpg

swtor_kotfe_screenshot_08-1024x576.jpg

swtor_kotfe_screenshot_09-1024x576.jpg

swtor_kotfe_screenshot_10-1024x576.jpg

swtor_kotfe_screenshot_11-1024x576.jpg

swtor_kotfe_screenshot_12-1024x576.jpg

swtor_kotfe_screenshot_13-1024x576.jpg

swtor_kotfe_screenshot_14-1024x576.jpg

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Those old models look so bad in comparison to those two new characters. I also love how audience barely cared enough to give a token applause.

The Outsider

Novice
WoW is killing itself slowly
So... after all of this waiting all of the hype and suspense behind who will be the WoW killer, turns out the game isn't even doing good and will be the one to kill itself...
what an underwhelming answer to a question asked hundred of times monthly.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
So... after all of this waiting all of the hype and suspense behind who will be the WoW killer, turns out the game isn't even doing good and will be the one to kill itself...
I think I once predicted that it'll all end with WoW committing seppuku.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron

Well, the next WoW expansion is ripping off SWOTR with class-specific main quests and NPC companions to follow you around everywhere, so there's that.

Animal

Savant
Shitposter
Tried to play this for a few hours (played through the starting planet and got to the fleet).

As a story driven rpg it's poor. It does have some choices in dialogues and it tries to motivate you to do quests, but it's still subpar to most single player games.

As an mmo it's also boring and bland. It may pick up, but I doubt it.

The graphics, looking like a sunday morning cartoon, also don't help.

I think I'm done with mmo's. If anyone has any idea of how I can get a multiplayer rpg'ish experience, please let me know.

Seari

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I haven't played this since launch. It's really funny how the villain's newer model looks kind of realistic and menacing, while the older models still look cartoony.

Imagine if all the in-game models looked like this.
aXwAoOv.jpg

Drakron

Arcane
They deliberate taken the animated cartoon art style, the reason that became a issue is that KMMOs have created the "Barbie" effect were looking good became important to players and the cartoon is a fucking cartoon, likely done deliberate to hide it was made in korean animation sweatshops as much as they could and of course, it was a fucking cartoon.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Swtor doesn't look bad, it just lacks a certain amount of detail to the world.

My personal favorite mmo in terms of visuals style has to be final fantasy XIV, followed by GW2.

Deleted member 7219

On and off SWTOR fag here.

I completed the Sith Warrior and Jedi Knight storylines. Sith Warrior had some good fanwank in places, shit in other places. Jedi Knight mostly shit the whole way through. I'm nearly done with Imp Agent storyline but it is nowhere near as good as Codexers make out.

The Rise of the Hutt Cartel expansion was surprisingly good. Honestly. The missions are quick to complete and the storyline is actually quite good, with twists and turns all the fucking time. That is what you want in an MMO like this. As little time in between cutscenes as possible. Get in, get out. Less grinding, the better.

Shadow of Revan expansion was pretty shit, though. Best parts were the story-based bits about the grander scheme of things (EMPRAH), I played as my Sith Warrior.

What I've found interesting about their handling of Revan is just how much BioWare seem to hate Revan now, and everything the character ever stood for. This is the most deliberate torching of a character I have ever seen in any book, movie, video game or whatever. They've utterly ruined the character, destroyed him, annihilated him, made him so overwhelmingly shitty there's no way they could make him worse, and it feels like such a fucking deliberate way too. The character was actually quite good in KOTOR, and Chris Avellone made him intelligent and mysterious in KOTOR 2.

Still, I'm looking forward to the next expansion because it looks like they sat down and said, "You know the best parts of SWTOR were the parts that didn't feel like an MMO. The parts were it was all about you, your companions and your (fake) choices. Let's do more of that."

SWTOR is actually pretty good from lv 1-10 no matter what class you pick. After that, there is a lot of grinding. Every planet becomes a chore. Only the class missions are worth putting any time into - you'll want to ignore everything else. Fortunately, there's a 12x exp bonus that lets you do just that, but it also means the game becomes a lot harder because you don't get as much companion gear (you tend to get that from the planetary quests). Companions with shit gear means you tend to die as soon as you hit groups of mobs greater than 3.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
I completed the Sith Warrior and Jedi Knight storylines. Sith Warrior had some good fanwank in places, shit in other places. Jedi Knight mostly shit the whole way through. I'm nearly done with Imp Agent storyline but it is nowhere near as good as Codexers make out.
You're an idiot.

After that, there is a lot of grinding. Every planet becomes a chore.
That's what you get for actually fighting instead of stealthing.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Okay, that was mean. That was actually some pretty good info I didn't know about. I might actually play the game again with the 12x bonus. If the expansion is good that is.

I don't remember companion stats being that important though. I either had a tank out so I don't take (as much) damage, or I had a healer. Maybe healing was affected more-so by stats but I don't remember any of my tanks dying. And I think for the most part they had green gear on them.

If I decide to make a new character I thankfully have two high level ones already so I can just buy shit and send it to him.

Now question: Since I already finished the Agent storyline (and the Inquisitor one which was shit) if I do make a new character, do I go Warrior, Bounty Hunter, Trooper, or Knight - storyline & gameplay wise? I've heard enough shit about the Consular, and Smuggler is written by Hamburger Hepler, so those are out of the question. Now I did played a bit of Trooper and it annoyed me because I wanted to play a Commando with a big-ass miniguns... but you end up in melee range after alpha strike. At least the cover system for the Agent was somewhat fun.

The Republic side btw is actually quite playable because there's some mean Dark Side choices you can make. And they're surprisingly not chaotic stupid.

P.S. the best part of the game is doing stupid shit like buying Heavy Jedi Knight armor and putting it on your Trooper.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Okay, that was mean. That was actually some pretty good info I didn't know about. I might actually play the game again with the 12x bonus. If the expansion is good that is.

I don't remember companion stats being that important though. I either had a tank out so I don't take (as much) damage, or I had a healer. Maybe healing was affected more-so by stats but I don't remember any of my tanks dying. And I think for the most part they had green gear on them.

If I decide to make a new character I thankfully have two high level ones already so I can just buy shit and send it to him.

Now question: Since I already finished the Agent storyline (and the Inquisitor one which was shit) if I do make a new character, do I go Warrior, Bounty Hunter, Trooper, or Knight - storyline & gameplay wise? I've heard enough shit about the Consular, and Smuggler is written by Hamburger Hepler, so those are out of the question. Now I did played a bit of Trooper and it annoyed me because I wanted to play a Commando with a big-ass miniguns... but you end up in melee range after alpha strike. At least the cover system for the Agent was somewhat fun.

The Republic side btw is actually quite playable because there's some mean Dark Side choices you can make. And they're surprisingly not chaotic stupid.

P.S. the best part of the game is doing stupid shit like buying Heavy Jedi Knight armor and putting it on your Trooper.

Knight and the Warrior are the worse classes ever made, they are a pain in the ass to play solo, they do shit damage, the do shit tanking, they are shit classes with shit stories to boot. Dont touch them.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Knight and the Warrior are the worse classes ever made, they are a pain in the ass to play solo, they do shit damage, the do shit tanking, they are shit classes with shit stories to boot. Dont touch them.
Gotcha, thanks. I played a few hours of Warrior and it seemed fun to just leap into combat and melee AOE everyone (as a Juggernaut). But as I only had a quick impression I greatly appreciate your more experienced opinion. :salute:

So.. Bounty Hunter vs. Trooper?

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Easiest class to play, solo and group for me was the sage/sorcerer, the damage is awesome, the healing is easiest to manage while in groups.

The stories are not that great, the sorcerer has some fun moments if you enjoy crazy dark side sith laughing deranged while slaughtering kittens.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Easiest class to play, solo and group for me was the sage/sorcerer, the damage is awesome, the healing is easiest to manage while in groups.

The stories are not that great, the sorcerer has some fun moments if you enjoy crazy dark side sith laughing deranged while slaughtering kittens.
I played an Inquisitor also (Assassin) and it was really meh to the point that I don't remember anything.

So you say you finished the Sage story also and it's about the same? Ugh.

Why can't they all be like the Agent? :(

Edit: Also I just watched some Youtube snippets for the Sith Warrior and he seems to be more of an asshole than the Inquisitor/Assassin/Sorcerer.

Last edited:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Woah, wait a minute. Hamburger Hepler designed the Dwarven culture in Dragon Age?

Did not know this. Actually, what is it that she designed that was bad? Or was it just her public SJW persona?

Maybe I will try the Smuggler.... (written by Hepler)

Crazed Weevil

Prophet
Smuggler's story I felt was the most detached from the larger goings on leading up to the war and becoming almost like the Bounty Hunter later on (as in you're being hired to do things because everyone is too stupid / incompetent to do it themselves). It's probably the funniest story line, or at least it tries the hardest to be funny.

Play style wise, the Gunslinger is very easy to play in either Sharpshooter or Dirty Fighting spec, they flow quite nicely and are easy to manage and feel like you are doing a lot of damage. You do need to use the cover mechanics though and some people have trouble with it. You'll always be useful in PvE, but in PvP you may struggle @ lvl 60...you'll likely get targeted quite quickly as you are very dangerous if left alone, especially in arenas.

Scoundrel is one of the most versatile classes in the game and can solo a hell of lot of the Heroics if you know what you are doing with the long stuns you have and off healing you can do. Both damage specs feel a bit weak to be honest though and I find they don't flow that well. Scrapper is probably the best in PvE, though Ruffian is better in PvP. Healer spec is nice and simple though and I find it works better with PUGs than other healing classes.

Like all the classes though, you'll only really get the feel of them if you get them to lvl 20 at least, preferable lvl 26 to get the second spec ability. Sith Juggernaut / Jedi Guardian is very much like that, and in fact either running the tank spec + healing companion is the most solo friendly class in the game, and with the right utility (Seething Hatred / Preparation) you can literally jump from mob to mob with next to no down time and withstand a lot of abuse. As long as your gear is up-to-date, along with your companion's, you can solo Heroic 4 missions without much trouble while still being able to get XP from it (no more than 6 levels higher than the mission).

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Scoundrel has one advantage: stealth. Other fags have to slowly grind their way back out of some far to long interior, Scoundrel just sneaks by like a boss. Of course I rolled the gunslinger back then, so I AM one of those making long faces while everybody snuck by.
If I had to start fresh I would still go for Gunslinger though, since his abilities get a lot of different animations instead of just different colored lights. I am looking at you Sniper! Also fits the story better if one goes Gunslinger for Rep and Operative for Imp.
Story is not thaaaat bad, it just feels like some funny moments glued together to somehow fit in the grand story.

And yeah, Sith Warrior/Jedi Knight plays like ass solo. Killing shit fast just tops tanking. Sadly, since I would rank the SW 2nd place when it comes to entertainment. Trolling Darth Cookiemonster never gets old.
Edit: Also I just watched some Youtube snippets for the Sith Warrior and he seems to be more of an asshole than the Inquisitor/Assassin/Sorcerer.
My favorite part about SW is: you can be both. Hulk smash asshole (DS) or "I will make the empuh strong by getting rid of senseless sith meddeling" (LS). They tried the same approach for the Inqui but chickened out half way in, visible in the clownfish's bipolar behaviour at times.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom