Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Places your bets: Fallout 4 Metascore

What will be the Fallout 4 Metascore range?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Adon

Arcane
We still got time. Come on, bby, 3 more points for justice! Or at least 2 so it's within the range I voted for...

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
It's 86 now :lol: I can hear Feargus' maniacal laughter.

Tehehehe.

Z2I8bsQ.jpg

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Of course it's not a 4/10 game. A 7 years old open world game against present day competition, with shit writing, shit shooting, shit c&c, should get 3/10 at most.

My expectation is for it to go in the 80-85 range, now that the more decent reviews, from outlets that didn't have a review copy/are not on Bethesda's payroll, are starting to emerge. It will be fun seeing AoD before Fallout 4.

msxyz

Augur
All 'late' reviews are giving Fallout 4 scores that are less than stellar. This trend is common to many AAA titles. More proof (not that it was needed!) that the mainstream media has to resort to cock sucking to be able to get review copies as soon as possible to have their review ready when the embargo date is lifted. The real problem here, however, are not the publishers or the media; they just try to maximize their profits exploiting the system. Business is amoral by definition. The real problem ARE the people purchasing stuff at day one (not to mention those wasting money on season passes, pre-orders, etc...). Honestly, consumers are bringing all this shit on themselves and they totally deserve it.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
In defense of people getting review copies, this guy admits he has been playing the FO4 "for about a week before launch" but doesn't hesitate to bash the game for the next 10 minutes. He does point out the few new features, although I wouldn't agree with him they are good enough to warrant buying the game.

Bonus: the line "it's highly unlikely that Bethesda's efforts could have trumped Obsidian's" :lol:

Also, one of his characters seems to be based on Trump :D

Just when I started cheering for his review though, he started praising the town-building mechanics :negative:

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
A 70 from the Washington Post - of all places brings the score to 86

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...that-can-swallow-you-whole-just-give-it-time/

"Bethesda Game Studios makes games that can swallow you whole. I once traded in their fantasy epic “The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind” (2002) because I was too engrossed in it. For almost a month, I played it like it was my job, averaging at least eight hours a day. It was the first game I ever dreamt about regularly. I had never had to sever myself from a game before so I felt spiritually dirty the day I left it at GameStop.

Sadly, I have yet to redeem myself. Just look at the number of hours I’ve logged into Bethesda’s later role-playing games: “The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion” (2006), 99 hours; “Fallout 3” (2008), 85 hours; “The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim” (2011), 128 hours. If so many lost hours seems unfathomable to you, realize that 100 hours is about what the average “Skyrim” player invested in that game, and that fact guided the direction of “Fallout 4’s” development.

“Fallout 4,” Bethesda’s latest time-sink, is set in 2287, in a kitschy vision of post-apocalyptic Boston as filtered through 1950s Americana. At the start of the game, you find yourself in a caricature-ish 50s-style house where you select the look and gender of your character. Soon thereafter, pandemonium breaks out when it becomes public that the United States faces imminent nuclear attack. You and your family make your way to an underground shelter where you are placed in cryogenic pods. When you wake up, your family is gone and the world above ground is a wasteland inhabited by ragtag survivors, synthetic humans, marauders, and vicious abominations of nature.

I found the game’s opening transition from a superficial domestic scene to a last-cradle-of-humanity situation to be rushed and ungainly in its execution. Though when you exit Vault 111 and behold the devastated world for the first time, the scene is dazzling enough that it’s easy to imagine to why the developers may have been overeager to get you to that moment. After all, once you get topside there is so much to do. Aside from the usual questing, I’m sure that people will lose days to the game’s crafting systems, which seems to take a page from “Minecraft.”

On the surface, “Fallout 4” looks amazing, particularly on a PC running in 4K resolution. A closer inspection, though, reveals plenty of awkward animations. Characters walk into objects and each other with dismaying frequency, and other visual glitches abound. (During the 50 hours I’ve spent with the game, it has crashed on me more times than I can count.)

Elsewhere, the game doesn’t feel noticeably different from Bethesda’s other creations. Some quests are greatly more interesting than others; “The Witcher 3” this is not. Furthermore, the writing is hit or miss. Sometimes you’ll read something on a computer terminal and wonder why you bothered, but other moments will likely enter your storehouse of gaming memories. I didn’t think I’d be interested in the existential plight of a robot private-eye who carries himself like a low-rent, Bogart impersonator. But the resignation Nick Valentine displays with regards to the moral shortcomings of humankind affected me in spite of myself.

The curious thing about Bethesda games is that people willingly overlook the clichés — not to mention the glitches and crashes that predictably dog these large-scale productions at launch — because the sum of each game’s virtual world is greater than its parts. As others have noted, the true star of a Bethesda game is the world itself. “Fallout 4” is stuffed to the brim with visual details. The tableaux of skeletons and decayed objects strewn about the environment cater to our post- apocalyptic fantasies.

The more you become involved in the game’s political factions whose interests lie in opposing directions, the more compelling it becomes. “Fallout 4” didn’t click for me until close to 30 hours in when the perks I unlocked for my character started to powerfully gel. I began to sink into the cozy logistics of devising micro and macro goals for my character such as thinking about what unexplored area to visit next or speculating on how far I might carry an allegiance before I betray it.

When I asked “Fallout 4” director Todd Howard, what his ideal hour of “Fallout” looked like, his response encapsulated the game’s core strength. “It’s really about a flow that, depending on your mood, you can find….It’s the game rewarding your curiosity at a good pace. If things are too spread out that’s going to be a boring hour. If they’re too packed together, that hour is going to be too intense and you may turn the game off because you need a break. Because if the game isn’t giving you the break that you want, you’ll do it on your own. Whereas if the game is giving you the option to [for example] just stand here and build your house or just wander around this area, or go to town and talk to some people, you are getting downtime emotionally… We try to give the players a lot of tools [so] they can self-direct [the game’s flow] whereas with a lot of linear games you’re along for the ride.”

“Fallout 4” is best appreciated over time. Play it for ten hours and the game will likely feel underwhelming. Play it for fifty then see if you can stop yourself from playing it for fifty more."

Doktor Best

Arcane
"Food for thought. BGS has been developing Fallout games now longer than Black Isle ever did. Thus, it's more appropriate to suggest BGS has created the "proper" Fallout experience as they have been honing and defining it the longest. Also, Fallout is far more popular under BGS' leadership than it ever was under Black Isle. Yes, the original games are PC-only, but BGS made Fallout accessible and popular on all platforms."

From Bethesda Forums. Oh my god why am i doing this to myself?:negative:

Besides all the hate, i think i kinda get what people like about Fallout4. Its a decent hobo simulator where you scavenge the lands looking for scrap to build your home from and defend yourself from other hobos. Kinda like a ... macgyver hobo. People are happy with that, they simply dont give a flying shit about bad game mechanics or lack/retardedness of the gameworld/story. Maybe they even embrace it, like people enjoy watching a trash movie.

Also the first person perspective is helping alot to immerse into the game from a purely optical standpoint, and there just arent that many games that are like that. Its just a nichegame with a really large customerbase, as funny as it sounds.

Which leads me to my question: Why are there so few FPS/Rpg Mixes? Vampire the Masquerade, Deus Ex, System Shocks, maybe the Bioshocks and Stalker. Thats it. What else is there to scratch that itch? Why are developers not seeing the massive cashpile Bethesda is sitting on and think to themselves: "Hey, look at all that money! We could have that money if we just put people behind designer desks that could outsmart a monkey in a paint-a-smiley-with-poo-contest"?

Last edited:

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Do 4/10 games don't happen any more?
I don't think that sites nowadays even have any guidelines for different ratings, so they'll just pull a number out of their asses. So yeah, you could give FO4 a 4/10 or 40%, because it's just a number with no meaning attached to it. Still, I don't think 4/10 games have ever really been a thing, at least when it comes to big releases.

Back in the day before ratings were hopelessly inflated, games that deserved a score of 4/10 or below rarely even made it to gaming magazines, as they didn't want to waste precious space on worthless trash when they could write about good games instead. The exceptions were big budget games that ended up being terrible, as you couldn't just ignore them right away, but I still don't remember any AAA game ever getting a 4 or lower in a gaming magazine, at best a 5 or a 6. It does make sense to an extent: if you want your rating system to be universal, there's little chance that an AAA game would get such a low rating. Scores like 1, 2, 3 and 4 were mainly reserved to games that no one wanted to read about and which would in no way benefit from being reviewed: cheap license games (not talking about movie games but stuff like "Who Wants to Be A Millionaire?" etc.), failed attempts at indie games, games that were hopelessly bugged or broken beyond repair (meaning completely unplayable, not Bethesda-bugged), all sorts of weird low-budget releases, all those weird simulator games about mowing the lawn or paying your bills or other exciting subjects... There's a ridiculous amount of stuff that simply does not deserve to be written about.

Of course, different magazines had different ratings and different definitions for them. The Finnish school system, for example, uses a rating system that goes from 4 to 10, so in the Finnish Pelit magazine the rating for an "average" game used to be around 70% rather than 50%, with 40% being reserved for absolute trash only.

tormund

Arcane
Now THIS is retarded even by Steam forum's standards
http://steamcommunity.com/app/377160/discussions/0/496881136906922173/#p1
If you take a look at user reviews on Steam, you will see that vast majority(78% at this moment) is positive. Yet despite the fact that vast majority of players is loving the game, if you tke a look at "most helpful" section and best rated reviews overall, so many of them are negative. Looks like there is a campaign to upvote every negative review, and downvote every positive ones. That is not a suprise, as there is a campaign going on to bomb user reviews on Metacritic too, and I dont need to write where is that coming from. Ppl at least need to own a game to review it on Steam, but on the other hand EVERYONE with an active acount can vote on any user review. As a result, user reviews are being manipulated by trolls right now.

So please, take a little time to upvote any longer, well written positive review, and to downvote any negative review that looks like troll or contains faslehoods.:)
Do your duty for the Church of Todd, brothers and sisters!

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
the only /v/ campaign I know of is an effort to get 'fallout 3 remake' and 'Casual' among other things such as 'Son is villain' into the steam tags.

Review from the Daily Beast:

‘Fallout 4’ Is a Painfully Addictive Pain in the Ass

Fallout 4 starts with a bang.
Within ten minutes of taking control of your character, a nuclear bomb goes off, and you watch the shockwave overtake your city as you’re lowered down into a vault. Then, after being cryogenically frozen against your will, you watch your spouse get murdered and your infant child kidnapped.
It’s also pretty much the only interesting thing you’ll see for a long, long time.

In a more traditional action game, that opening would set off a whirlwind of crazy set pieces as you work to avenge your husband and save your child. You would be able to finish that game in less time than it would take you to get to the more interesting parts of Fallout 4, as you uncover the secrets behind the barren wasteland that once was Boston. That’s because this is an action epic of a different kind. It’s not tightly packed and perfectly paced; it’s the exact opposite. It’s a sprawling mess of a game that grabs onto you and doesn’t let go. It throws everything and the kitchen sink onto a disc and says, “Here, do something with this.” And its grip is everlasting. You can put hundreds of hours into Fallout 4 and still not see everything. Its developer, Bethesda Softworks, deals exclusively in these sorts of Desert Island games—ones that will last you for the years until their next big release.
As such, every Bethesda launch is an event. They’re one of the most beloved developers in the industry, and they only release a game every three or four years. So when it’s time for a new Bethesda game, hype hits the fan. And though a new Call of Duty is barely out the door, and a new Star Wars game is soon to follow, Fallout 4 has completely overtaken the conversation. It’s infected and infested every form of social media. Everyone with even a passing interest in games is thinking about Fallout 4.
Because of this, Fallout 4 is as much an idea as it is an actual game—a seven-year-old idea that came in the immediate wake of Fallout 3’s release: “Do this again, but make it better.” It’s sort of odd to realize that Fallout 4 has only officially existed since July of this year, when it was announced at the Electronic Entertainment Expo. Its existence was hardly a secret, but until then there was nothing to go on but years of unsubstantiated rumors and pleading wishlists from fans.

The tagline for the Fallout series is “War. War never changes.” You don’t need to be acquainted with earlier games to know this, because you’re hit with it three times in the first five minutes of Fallout 4. It’s the first thing you hear after starting up, and then a brief, live-action introduction to the game’s alternate history concludes with a proclamation of fear and another reminder that: “War, war never changes.” And then the game part begins, and your character is looking in the mirror. “War never changes,” he says, before you decide that you’d really rather play as a woman and cast him aside.
Fallout 4 is a lot of things. Subtle isn’t one of them. The writing bludgeons you over the head with its themes time and time again, and it grates. But it’s hard to be subtle when your script features over 110,000 lines of recorded dialogue as well as a whole bunch of non-recorded writings that can be found strewn across the wasteland. This is a big, complicated game with a big, complicated story. There is a lot of information—necessary and unnecessary—that the game feels you need to know. And so of course it starts off slow. This is a big, open wasteland, and you don’t know why or how anything has happened. And the game doesn’t really start to get interesting until you learn about the vault that you survived in and the other vaults from around the city. But the game takes its sweet time in getting you there, and it’s not as though you don’t have other things to occupy your time.
Some part of you probably wants to find your character’s kid, but you also just found a dog (!) and you definitely want to play with him a whole lot more. So you do that, and then you find out that you can build and control settlements, so you do that. There are all kinds of side missions, too—ones that do little to help you find the kid but serve to fill the game’s enormous world and ensure that you never ever leave. That’s where those 200 hours go—not into a single narrative but into many smaller ones that all add up to this thing that is Fallout 4.

But it takes time to get there. Some people will find it takes 20 hours or more for the game to really click with them, if it ever does. And until then, they’ll have to plod through the tedium and the confusion while hoping that the game won’t decide to simply stop working in the process. Because it does that sometimes, and when it does you’ll wonder how they dare release it in such an unfinished state—something that accompanies each and every Bethesda game launch. YouTube is already littered with these glitches. Sometimes they’re cute—a monster spinning around and then flying through a building—and sometimes they force you to reset your console.
It’s not as though you won’t have fun in those early hours, because you will. There’s something inherently compelling about scavenging the remnants of a destroyed city and obsessively modifying your items and weapons. There’s also the joyful revulsion that comes from watching enemy bodies blow up in slow motion.
But those can wear thin, and you may well get bored of them before reaching the part of the narrative that truly hooks you. So why even bother?

Well, because everyone else is. Unlike most big games these days, Fallout 4 has no multiplayer component. But the game is every bit as community-driven as Call of Duty. Jokes about Bethesda’s last game, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, still come up in conversation. For the next several months, people are going to be finding cool things to see and try. Fallout 4 is like a second-hand toy box: it’s kind of ugly and a little bit broken, but it’s got amazing things in it, and given enough time, you can do pretty much anything with it.
Bethesda games are unique in both scope and scale. They become the metric by which other games are judged. And even if those other games are objectively better, it’s the Bethesda game’s legacy that endures. Fallout 4 isn’t the best game of the year—though it will certainly win awards saying that’s the case—but nor does it have to be. It just has to be big and full of interesting things. It can be a slog getting those things to reveal themselves to you, and you wouldn’t be wrong to just give up and play something that isn’t always on the verge of melting down, but if it gets its hooks into you, then it’s the only game you need.

Zeronet

Learned
It's back up to 87 because some moronic website gave it a 100% review.

Athos

Arcane
"Food for thought. BGS has been developing Fallout games now longer than Black Isle ever did. Thus, it's more appropriate to suggest BGS has created the "proper" Fallout experience as they have been honing and defining it the longest. Also, Fallout is far more popular under BGS' leadership than it ever was under Black Isle. Yes, the original games are PC-only, but BGS made Fallout accessible and popular on all platforms."

From Bethesda Forums.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Which leads me to my question: Why are there so few FPS/Rpg Mixes? Vampire the Masquerade, Deus Ex, System Shocks, maybe the Bioshocks and Stalker. Thats it. What else is there to scratch that itch? Why are developers not seeing the massive cashpile Bethesda is sitting on and think to themselves: "Hey, look at all that money! We could have that money if we just put people behind designer desks that could outsmart a monkey in a paint-a-smiley-with-poo-contest"?

I've been saying that for a long time. It is mystifying.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah, it's really weird, it's painfully obvious how much money there is in that particular subgenre, just make a semi-decent world to explore with cool sights to see and a lot of character customization and you have an instant hit in your hands.

pippin

Borderlands was supposed to be a serious contender and the first game, while banal, had some elements to build upon. Sadly, the sequels were killed by mr. Cuck and his love for memes.
Action games, and FPS games as well, have been including skill trees and that kind of stuff for a time now. I mean, the Shadow Warrior reeboot had a skill tree. The problem is that it all ends up being some sort of bland and safe product without real design elements that make a difference between one product and the other.

Taskityo

Educated
Now THIS is retarded even by Steam forum's standards
http://steamcommunity.com/app/377160/discussions/0/496881136906922173/#p1

Do your duty for the Church of Todd, brothers and sisters!

Frankly some of those people are childish as fuck. A reviewer's job should simply be laying out their experience, rather than trashtalking someone's opinion - "all these negative reviews are misguided, here's my review as follows..." They can't help but somehow be offended. They could just play their game instead of being obsessive morons, thinking there is some vast 'troll' agenda.

I think the Bethesda community is cracking with people simply slowly abandoning that ship.

Fairfax

Arcane
This pisses me off more than it should.
:x

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom