Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear Pre-Release Thread

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Scott’s favorite new element in the inventory screen: “When you select a new item, the portraits of the people in your party will change color if they can use that item and if it’s an improvement over what they’re currently using. So if I pick up a magic sword and Minsc’s portrait turns yellow, I know that’s a better sword for him. That makes it much easier to make decisions about your game, instead of giving the weapon to every single person in your party and then thinking, ‘Can mages use maces?
What a fanstastic improvment!! Until now, I didn't knew a broadsword +2 was better than a broadsword+1.Thanks to the color system :decline:
Baldur's Gate isn't a game about linear improvements - you don't simply use "the highest DPS".

That they feel such system is needed hints at an even worse issue... either in loot design or in encounter design - or maybe in both.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Being able to more easily maximize DPS for your "standard loadout" does sound useful, though.

Then you can equip the immunity-bypassing, status effect-inflicting stuff on top of that.

Melcar

Arcane
In my opinion that was one of the things that made the game fun and rewarding. Figuring out shit for yourself. Finding out what weapon combos benefited this or that NPC, what class build worked better in certain situations. Fucking quest compasses man.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Scott’s favorite new element in the inventory screen: “When you select a new item, the portraits of the people in your party will change color if they can use that item and if it’s an improvement over what they’re currently using. So if I pick up a magic sword and Minsc’s portrait turns yellow, I know that’s a better sword for him. That makes it much easier to make decisions about your game, instead of giving the weapon to every single person in your party and then thinking, ‘Can mages use maces?
What a fanstastic improvment!! Until now, I didn't knew a broadsword +2 was better than a broadsword+1.Thanks to the color system :decline:
Baldur's Gate isn't a game about linear improvements - you don't simply use "the highest DPS".

That they feel such system is needed hints at an even worse issue... either in loot design or in encounter design - or maybe in both.
As a person that lurks BG streams on twitch a lot I can tell you this feature is very much needed. More for people that use any weapon that is not red for that class without even knowing their NPCs have proficiencies in certain weapon skills. I cannot even count how many newbies could not figure this stuff out until I or someone else told them about it.
UI improvements are here for new players, not us.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Their carers shouldn't let that kind o folk have access to computers, they could electrocute emsens.

Perhaps as a tutorial they could have that Count with the Count from Sesame Street, a +1 sword +1 makes a +2 sword, hahaha.

Last edited:

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
Being able to more easily maximize DPS for your "standard loadout" does sound useful, though.

Then you can equip the immunity-bypassing, status effect-inflicting stuff on top of that.
and what about specifc situation?
IE, when fighting undeads, will this color system suggest that a mace of disruption+1 is a better weapon than a mace+2, or against mages that are temporarily immune to magical weapons, will it suddenly suggest to switch for a non magical weapon until this effect end, and then eventually reswiitch for a magical weapon?
I wonder how this kind of implementation could work when it's about specific encounters, when it's about special effect for weapons vs special protection abilities (spells, defensives skills, immunes etc etc)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

IE, when fighting undeads, will this color system suggest that a mace of disruption+1 is a better weapon than a mace+2, or against mages that are temporarily immune to magical weapons, will it suddenly suggest to switch for a non magical weapon until this effect end, and then eventually reswiitch for a magical weapon?
I wonder how this kind of implementation could work when it's about specific encounters, when it's about special effect for weapons vs special protection abilities (spells, defensives skills, immunes etc etc)

Of course not. It'll probably just calculate straight DPS, ignoring monster-specific damage and stuff like that.

Quest compass for encounters........

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
so, the way I see it, it can't work properly if it's designed for those who are not mastering the setting/rules.If it's only there to tell that a +3 wepaon is better than a +2 (which is not very hard to anderstand), it won't lead newbies to rule the game, won't even tempt them to read item descriptions.
By the way, I hope it will be optionnal.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I hope mods will cut this shit out. At least with BG there's real hope that they will.

Azeot

Arbiter
as long as there is a toggle button for all the new UI shit they can add whatever the heck they want, my only concerns are with writing and encounters design

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
as long as there is a toggle button for all the new UI shit they can add whatever the heck they want, my only concerns are with writing and encounters design
I'm sure it will keep up with the high standards set by the previous EEs extra content.

Dorateen

Arcane
The concern is that if they have dumbed-down, streamlined and modernized UI elements in order to appease casuals, then they might also have neutered encounter design as well as interesting items. After all, if these new players cannot comprehend basic rules about how equipment works, how can they be expected to handle challenging encounters.

Me, I'm too much of a pragmatist. These color-coded inventory interfaces are apparently here to stay for any developer who is not independent and who is trying to reach a broader audience. I already lamented color clue compare item features in Might & Magic Legacy, Pillars, and it's really no surprise to find it here. When I want an interface that is not bending over backward to be accessible, I'll fire up FRUA and play a Gold Box like game or look for some Wizardry-like clone. But to get new content in a D&D game, this is probably the best we can do.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
The concern is that if they have dumbed-down, streamlined and modernized UI elements in order to appease casuals, then they might also have neutered encounter design as well as interesting items. After all, if these new players cannot comprehend basic rules about how equipment works, how can they be expected to handle challenging encounters.
It has a "story mode" difficulty level so they probably don't need to neuter the game content much.

Dorateen

Arcane
It has a "story mode" difficulty level so they probably don't need to neuter the game content much.

You can throw "story mode" onto the list of cRPG innovations I suspect we are now stuck with.

pippin

"Story mode" has been present in games for many years. Mass Effect games and Deus Ex: HR had them, for instance.

Space Insect

Arcane
As much as I hate to hope, here goes:
Hopefully they make their "Bhaal difficulty" actually difficult.
Hopefully they have toggles to turn off the UI stuff.
Hopefully the womyn does a decent job of writing.
Hopefully Chris Avellone wasn't paid to promote the game.
Hopefully the areas are good.
Hopefully...

Actually screw this, it will almost certaintly be shit.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Scott says she’s played through Baldur’s Gate around 100 times since joining Beamdog in 2014

Wow, that's pretty hardcore. I've maybe played BG a dozen times through in the last 17 years.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
I played it .4 times.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom