Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Looking for a 2D space roguelike/lite with soul

hello friend

Arcane
I said I'd post impressions of Galactic Princess: My impression is that it's too early in the game's development to be all that playable. I fire it up every now and then to see if there's something new, but it's still very wait-and-see.

Pretty cool concept, though. Kinda FTL-like except you can build and modify your ship 100%. There's nothing to do yet but combat, and the controls are too clunky for that to be fun, but I can definitely see it becoming something good.

Will post more in-depth eventually once there is more depth to post about.

drox operative
kangaroodev gog reviews say it's very grindy, and pretty much a copy of previous Soldak games. I haven't played any Soldak games, would you say that's a good thing or not? Not a big fan of grinding, but in the right package it doesn't have to be a death sentence.

I'm set for a while with Star Control 2 anyway, really enjoying it.

kangaroodev

Educated
To be honest yeah, drox operative is much of a copy paste game of the previous ones. If you played Depths of Peril and Din's Curse (also from soldak) you'll see it's very similar to drox operative. It's probably not a good thing because they are all so similar, but at least you know that if you played one and didn't like it, you'll think the same of others. It is kinda grindy because the game has randomized missions and the game involves progressing with either doing those or doing a lot of shooting. So maybe only give it a try then if you think you can tolerate a somewhat grindy game, and if you didn't play a soldak game. I liked it but it's not for everyone.

Lhynn

Arcane
Yeah, $34 is a bit much still, but I'm gonna do some research into it,

If you want to look for a 34$ discount in unsavory places which we do not speak of, believe me - I tried. You won't find dis game anywhere else. Demo is the only thing you can try for free.
Found it, ill downloadang it tonight and see if its any good.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Actually I had intended to advise prospectorRL as very atmospheric game (but it has loadsabugs).
There is somewhere a game (don't remember its name) that looks very similar to prospectorRL, and I don't remember exactly, but I'm sure I saw somwhere, maybe on official prospectorRL's forum that author said when was asked about clearly visible plagiarism - he said he knows about it and actually he gave permission.
Also, want to recommend CRYPTARK, while it is shmup and obviously real-time, and you can only customize your armour-suit, it is good (but laggy-buggy) game.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
So looks like Prospector has not been updated in over a year and the developer hasn't been on his forums since last February. Is it worth playing in its current state knowing that no bugs are going to get fixed?

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Is it worth playing in its current state knowing that no bugs are going to get fixed?

I don't believe there is a whole lot of bugs in this game (at least I can't remember any), more like highly annoying feature/balance issues.

The thing I hate most about Prospector is that it seems like your ship carries a doomsday device on board. Every time you land on any planet and spend some time exploring, shit will go to hell, guaranteed. Earthquakes will break, meteorites will fall, space monsters will emerge, planet's entire population will die. The planet existed for billions of years, and everything was fine before. BUT ONCE YOUR SHIP LANDED

It would be less annoying if the apocalypse had a 1% to be triggered, preferably less. But no. In the current version it's 100% chance of apocalypse on every planet you land. I wish somebody modded that, or there was some hidden setting in .ini file that could fix this.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Battlestation: Harbinger has gotten some coverage in Youtube
http://store.steampowered.com/app/396480
Battlestation: Harbinger is a hard sci-fi space exploration game blending roguelike, turn-based, star map strategy, and real-time space battles. You are a young commander given the task to venture out into enemy territories, far away from home to unknown galaxies, never knowing what you will face as you
Or so the blurb says.
Haven't touched it myself yet.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
So looks like Prospector has not been updated in over a year and the developer hasn't been on his forums since last February. Is it worth playing in its current state knowing that no bugs are going to get fixed?

Actually I played it 3 years ago, in a version that was dated like years before it. And guess what - everyone thought that Magellan abandon his game, but year ago... you know the story.
I wish I had 10 K dallars I can send him...

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas

Actually I played it 3 years ago, in a version that was dated like years before it. And guess what - everyone thought that Magellan abandon his game, but year ago... you know the story.
I wish I had 10 K dallars I can send him...

So he just disappears for huge lengths of time? I noticed he had like 20 releases/updates in the last 4 months of 2014 then just stopped cold. Well if it happened before maybe he is just taking a break.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Yeah, I remember he said something that he has time to work on game, then he hadn't it because need to work for living.
If I had spare money I would send it for sure.
This game has its own atmosphere.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
Well, since Star Control 2 was mentioned and OP liked it I must recommend you Starflight 1 & 2, hello friend. Protostar: War on the Frontier too while I'm at it.

Actually I had intended to advise prospectorRL as very atmospheric game (but it has loadsabugs).
There is somewhere a game (don't remember its name) that looks very similar to prospectorRL, and I don't remember exactly, but I'm sure I saw somwhere, maybe on official prospectorRL's forum that author said when was asked about clearly visible plagiarism - he said he knows about it and actually he gave permission.
Also, want to recommend CRYPTARK, while it is shmup and obviously real-time, and you can only customize your armour-suit, it is good (but laggy-buggy) game.
You don't by chance mean 3059?

I made a thread about it here:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/rogue-like-or-not-3059-3069-3079-3089-4089.106039/

It's not space-theme, but it's sci-fi themed sandbox rogue-like and takes place on another planet.

I think you can download it here:
https://sites.google.com/site/free3069/3059----the-beginning

Here's a review of it on homeoftheunderdogs:
http://www.homeoftheunderdogs.net/game.php?id=5285

As for somethign 2d and space-themed, I'll add this :
http://www.nielsbauergames.com/games.html
http://af.gog.com/game/smugglers_v?as=1649904300

It's not a good series and you have to pay for it. BUT for years I kept an eye on it.

EDIT: Here's a sci-fi MUD which reminds me of elite-type games:
http://www.ibgames.com/index.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Another game that's barely worth mentioning is STAR-BOX. A sandbox rpg in space that combines planetary exploration with ship view and crew/resource management.

wnalkzoosy.jpg

kpmfjiotma.jpg

jetckruefu.jpg

jvernxvoeb.jpg

pmvlppuhur.jpg

yixqxhnywa.jpg

Seems like weeaboo Prospector with fancy graphics. It has to be gud, right?

No. Don't buy it, men.

:keepmymoney:

RPG Maker engine can't handle the sheer amount of stuff that happens simultaneously. The game often lags and simply refuses to run smoothly. Worst of all, combat (at least combat on surface) is a fucking joke. Real-time pew-pew bullshit. I remember Atari games with better combat than here.

I tried to play it a long time ago, though. Maybe things changed since then. If anybody played it recently - post yer own opinions.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Dev is a douchebag who put limited online activations DRM on his $40 indie game. He doesn't deserve anyone's money.
I tried the demo and really liked it, but there is no way I'll ever go through limited activations. The dev is not entirely to blame : I think the editor has more say in this kind of thing (it is Shrapnel games for the record).
The dev talked about getting the game on steam some time ago, but given how easy it has become, I guess he decided not to in the end.
RPG Maker engine can't handle the sheer amount of stuff that happens simultaneously. The game often lags and simply refuses to run smoothly. Worst of all, combat (at least combat on surface) is a fucking joke. Real-time pew-pew bullshit. I remember Atari games with better combat than here.
Atari ST had Laser Squad and civilization ported to it among other, but very few Real Time Strategy games (no RTS, as these were invented later) so that's hardly a valid point!

snoek

Cipher
-transcendence
-endless sky (not sure about this one, barely played it a while ago)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom