Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Undertale withdrawal

Catfish

Learned
Hey, fellow codexians. So I have a problem. I've finally gotten some free time to go through my gaming backlog, got to play some AoD, XCOM2, Binding of Isaac, stuff like that - more or less recent but not interesting enough to warrant a reserved series of weekends in the last couple of years. Games I've heard good things about.

And so, at a certain point I buy Undertale on Steam. I knew very little going in, thanks to not caring for jrpgs much, not being much attracted to the visual style and being majorly put off from it by some really disturbing fan art in my social media feeds.

And here is the problem. I cannot fucking enjoy games now. Undertale pulled me in, and I fell right into the genocide run trap, out of pure curiosity and the all-so-familiar urge to get the full story. And it's not like I feel bad for a few hours of grinding and the resulting revelations, it's just like everything else just feels silly now.

And now that the context is out of the way: is there a game I could play to shake this feeling off? I mean, I tried going for a Planescape run, but it does not fucking work :)

EDIT: just to clarify, this is about two weeks past completion, as in persistent.

Last edited:

Lucky

Arcane
Pathologic - get the classic HD version. It'll burn that feeling out.

Catfish

Learned
Pathologic - get the classic HD version. It'll burn that feeling out.

Lol booted the original right after planescape, tried a haruspic run, quit within an hour and a half because I know the dialogue by heart by this point. But what a horrible suggestion, though - you want me to get suicidal too? :)

Lucky

Arcane
Lol booted the original right after planescape, tried a haruspic run, quit within an hour and a half because I know the dialogue by heart by this point. But what a horrible suggestion, though - you want me to get suicidal too? :)
I actually find it to be an oddly cheerful game, so it's strange to me that people find them so depressing. I take it you did a full playthrough with the perfect endings? The remaster has an improved English translation that particularly makes the Devotress/Changeling more comprehensible in English and adds a few bits of cut content.

There's not really anything story driven that I'd recommend otherwise at the moment, outside of the other Ice-Pick Lodge games.

Catfish

Learned
I actually find it to be an oddly cheerful game, so it's strange to me that people find them so depressing. I take it you did a full playthrough with the perfect endings? The remaster has an improved English translation that particularly makes the Devotress/Changeling more comprehensible in English and adds a few bits of cut content.

There's not really anything story driven that I'd recommend otherwise at the moment, outside of the other Ice-Pick Lodge games.

Well, russian is my first language, so naturally I played the original and don't really have the localization problem. But, offtopic, is there much of a point to getting the rerelease if you played through the original more than five times? I backed the game on kickstarter, but I don't really feel like buying the game again just for a visual upgrade and a few new bits of story.

Cheerful, though? Could you elaborate? I always felt this game was like a way to feel awful for a week, and that is where I saw the value of it.

Catfish

Learned
Lisa: The Painful RPG and Mother 3

I actually bought Lisa and tried it yesterday, but I cannot seem to get into it - there is a moment (i'm assuming this is the very beginning) where you get to the first big fork in the road, and every death from there comes after the latest save crow, so every action you take after a death requires a lot of backtracking to get back into it. Not that this is a criticism, but it kinda made me hate undertale even more for the great way it handled pacing as opposed to Lisa. I will definitely try again, maybe start a new run, but here is the thing - this is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. If Undertale weren't a thing, Lisa would have gotten so much more attention. Simply because this fucking time bomb is so well-crafted :). It is kinda part of the problem.

On Mother 3 - I'm assuming it is a nintendo game. I cannot seem to find a PC version on GOG or Steam. Is it console-exclusive? Do I need an emulator?

EDIT: seriously, I genuinely feel bad for Lisa, because it feels like an experience I would probably get into. But undertale killed it by just being technically and mechanically superior :)

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
As has been suggested, play Lisa. Try again since you've already failed.

If that doesn't work, go cold turkey. Walk away from games for a while, read books, socialize, etc. Eventually that 'feeling' will burn out of your system and you'll go back to enjoying games as normal in a few months time.

From what I'm seeing, Undertale has already been forgotten by the gaming hive-mind. If several million special snowflakes can get over it, so can you.

(No, I'm not changing my avatar.)

Astral Rag

Arcane
*googles Undertale*

Good god man, please seek professional help immediately. Modern medicine can help people like you.

A user named cat

Fucking Russians. Your taste in games is almost as bad as your driving.

Lucky

Arcane
Well, russian is my first language, so naturally I played the original and don't really have the localization problem. But, offtopic, is there much of a point to getting the rerelease if you played through the original more than five times? I backed the game on kickstarter, but I don't really feel like buying the game again just for a visual upgrade and a few new bits of story.

Cheerful, though? Could you elaborate? I always felt this game was like a way to feel awful for a week, and that is where I saw the value of it.

The added bits are content already present in the Russian version, so there's no reason to get it beyond the improved visuals for you. Mind you, I mean the remaster and not the remake. The remake will supposedly be substantially different.

Why it's cheerful? Well, you're a healer rather than the usual mentally deranged killer for a start. You still kill, but it is not for the purpose of perverse self-satisfaction. Beyond that, the intent behind the atmosphere I recognise as oppressive, but this doesn't bother me as even under such dire circumstances the ability to intervene persists - certain things are futile, but not everything.

GewuerzKahn

Savant
So Undertale was so good that others games "feel" bad in comparison?
That's the problem? Right?

Dude, use your extra free time to do other stuff. Don't force yourself playing vidyagames.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Hey, fellow codexians. So I have a problem. I've finally gotten some free time to go through my gaming backlog, got to play some AoD, XCOM2, Binding of Isaac, stuff like that - more or less recent but not interesting enough to warrant a reserved series of weekends in the last couple of years. Games I've heard good things about.

And so, at a certain point I buy Undertale on Steam. I knew very little going in, thanks to not caring for jrpgs much, not being much attracted to the visual style and being majorly put off from it by some really disturbing fan art in my social media feeds.

And here is the problem. I cannot fucking enjoy games now. Undertale pulled me in, and I fell right into the genocide run trap, out of pure curiosity and the all-so-familiar urge to get the full story. And it's not like I feel bad for a few hours of grinding and the resulting revelations, it's just like everything else just feels silly now.

And now that the context is out of the way: is there a game I could play to shake this feeling off? I mean, I tried going for a Planescape run, but it does not fucking work :)

EDIT: just to clarify, this is about two weeks past completion, as in persistent.
youreafag.gif

Red Eye

Learned
Play Maiden Rape Assault: Violent Semen Inferno

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom