Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Pizzashoes

Scholar
Multipliers amplify the upper range for big hits, sure. But the base numbers in Pillars aren't 1-10. More like maybe 12-17. Or 17-25. Then the upper limit isn't 10 times as much but maybe 1.5 times. The scimitar a few posts back has a base of 27-40, just as an example.

Colour Spray

Educated
Yeah, that's not a bad counter-argument, either. From what I saw on the stream, the hardest difficulty is punishing enough for unoptimized characters that rng is likely to be an insignificant factor. It seems like Josh got wind of that one beta paladin/rogue build that was hitting the engwithan titan for 200+ damage crits and 4 shotting it, too; so I expect anything truly disgusting is going to get tweaked, regardless, and there is something to be said for occassionally obliterating something as though it were made of jelly.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
Q0sNjQy.png

"veil piercing attack" is it some sort of counter to wizard's veil or something ?

I see some interesting new stuff in these items. Stuff like % to nullify damage from a specific type or reduction of the enemy crit multiplier (instead of the crit > hit conversion, which I assume is still here as well)

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It wouldn't be difficult to write a sleek and handy editor specifically for these files, to make searching through them easier and editing more error-free. I can't promise I'll be doing that though.

I've been working on an editor, and it's in the final stages before a prototype can be released. It allows you to edit objects in the ".gamedatabundle" files, save your changes as separate copies of those objects, and then export them, so they can be copy-pasted into a mod's gamedatabundle file.

The main advantage of the editor is that it fetches game data objects referenced from different gamedatabundle files. So when you are editing an item, you don't have to go through 3 files (items > attacks > status effects) in order to change the duration of something. This saves you time and effort because you don't have to switch between different files, and search manually with ctrl+f in each one.

Secondly, the editor reduces the chance for technical errors and typos, by using input validation on the fields which you are allowed to change.

Thirdly, the editor filters out from view any system fields and/or objects, which are not suitable for modding, letting you concentrate on the stuff that's of interest to a modder.

With enough time for development, and if there is interest, I plan to add a big number of quality of life features. For example it would be useful if the editor tracks the changes you make to objects, and presents you with a changelog, which you can then export and directly put into your mod's description. I plan to add means for donating once the editor's prototype is online.

The editor is web based, but there is no server-side logic or functionality which needs a webserver. Everything you do happens on your own machine, in your browser's memory. No data about your mod or usage of the editor is being recorded on the server. In fact once you open the editor, you can safely switch off your internet connection. Changes are being saved in the web browser's memory, which carries the drawback that on refresh of the browser tab, you will lose all changes which you haven't exported.

The basic workflow is:
1. Load a gamedatabundle file into the editor. If you don't load one yourself, the contents of the vanilla gamedatabundle file will be used for modding.
2. Select a category which you want to make changes to - for example progression tables. Make your changes to the progression table you chose and hit Save. A copy of the object you changed is recorded.
2.1 From a progression table you have access to a list of abilities for the object you chose to edit. Selecting an ability from the list will load the ability's object for editing, without need for you to switch screens or do anything manually. From the ability you may proceed to edit the attack associated with that ability, and from that, proceed to edit the status effects applied by that attack. All this is happening through the UI, you don't see the json code.
3. Go to the tab for exporting changed data. It contains a list of objects which have been changed across all gamedatabundle objects. Review the json code and export it for inclusion in your modded .gamedatabundle file.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
He thinks you're unpleasant? Somebody introduce this guy to Lilura.

I keep saying it; those two should raise scornful, terrible children together. Codex, generation 2, as it were.

It's clear, we need more urban fantasy. The wealth of real world history, mythology and occultism to become the foundation without any need to reinvent the wheel combined with unadulterated creativity of fantasy. The possibilities are endless.

At least then when Bioware turns it into a romance simulator, they'll just be following the same devolution that happened to the genre in books. ;)

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm disappointed that the doge has such lame effects.

IFHw6md.png

I'm pleased that its head is tilted quizzically, though. Such puzzled! You should really be able to eat the pets for special bonuses. Dinner is the natural fate of any shipboard animal, to say nothing of the crew.

#LongPig

Sentinel

Arcane
Saw people praising the performance, yet I saw a pretty noticeable framerate drop when he engaged and was surrounded by the group of enemies in that bridge.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't get why pets have stat bonuses, tbh. I generally use whichever pet more thematically fits my character, but now I have to take stats into account, which seems unnecessary and missing the point.

Parabalus

Arcane
Aravane from the Obsidian thread posted a full album on imgur here: https://imgur.com/a/6Ba0Dwx

Those all items look pretty slick. They also kinda fixed the presentation issuees of PoE1 by putting the full effects in the tooltip.

I don't get why pets have stat bonuses, tbh. I generally use whichever pet more thematically fits my character, but now I have to take stats into account, which seems unnecessary and missing the point.

The pet got usurped by a an item which provides a party wide bonus, that is far cooler IMO.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The same reason why brooms have stats,it is a rpg game. Also my cat does give me a stat bonus :smug:.

Iskramor

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
It wouldn't be difficult to write a sleek and handy editor specifically for these files, to make searching through them easier and editing more error-free. I can't promise I'll be doing that though.

I've been working on an editor, and it's in the final stages before a prototype can be released. It allows you to edit objects in the ".gamedatabundle" files, save your changes as separate copies of those objects, and then export them, so they can be copy-pasted into a mod's gamedatabundle file.

The main advantage of the editor is that it fetches game data objects referenced from different gamedatabundle files. So when you are editing an item, you don't have to go through 3 files (items > attacks > status effects) in order to change the duration of something. This saves you time and effort because you don't have to switch between different files, and search manually with ctrl+f in each one.

Secondly, the editor reduces the chance for technical errors and typos, by using input validation on the fields which you are allowed to change.

Thirdly, the editor filters out from view any system fields and/or objects, which are not suitable for modding, letting you concentrate on the stuff that's of interest to a modder.

With enough time for development, and if there is interest, I plan to add a big number of quality of life features. For example it would be useful if the editor tracks the changes you make to objects, and presents you with a changelog, which you can then export and directly put into your mod's description. I plan to add means for donating once the editor's prototype is online.

The editor is web based, but there is no server-side logic or functionality which needs a webserver. Everything you do happens on your own machine, in your browser's memory. No data about your mod or usage of the editor is being recorded on the server. In fact once you open the editor, you can safely switch off your internet connection. Changes are being saved in the web browser's memory, which carries the drawback that on refresh of the browser tab, you will lose all changes which you haven't exported.

The basic workflow is:
1. Load a gamedatabundle file into the editor. If you don't load one yourself, the contents of the vanilla gamedatabundle file will be used for modding.
2. Select a category which you want to make changes to - for example progression tables. Make your changes to the progression table you chose and hit Save. A copy of the object you changed is recorded.
2.1 From a progression table you have access to a list of abilities for the object you chose to edit. Selecting an ability from the list will load the ability's object for editing, without need for you to switch screens or do anything manually. From the ability you may proceed to edit the attack associated with that ability, and from that, proceed to edit the status effects applied by that attack. All this is happening through the UI, you don't see the json code.
3. Go to the tab for exporting changed data. It contains a list of objects which have been changed across all gamedatabundle objects. Review the json code and export it for inclusion in your modded .gamedatabundle file.

Prestigious as fuck

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom