Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGs where you are a dragon / can transform into one.

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
Nah. Just ways you can turn into a dragon in-game without editing stuff. Those are actually in the base game.

Yeah I know, I did that too. It takes a pretty long time to get that though. Wildshift 7 or some shit? It's been aaaaaaages since I played it.

Edit: Unless you're playing something where you already start at a high level or whatever.

Cael

Arcane
Nah. Just ways you can turn into a dragon in-game without editing stuff. Those are actually in the base game.

Yeah I know, I did that too. It takes a pretty long time to get that though. Wildshift 7 or some shit? It's been aaaaaaages since I played it.

Edit: Unless you're playing something where you already start at a high level or whatever.
It is a wasted epic feat. The dragon you turn into isn't that powerful to begin with, especially since you lose the ability to cast your spells, which, as an epic spellcaster, far overshadows what turning into a dragon gives you.

DraQ

Arcane
Not an RPG but you get to play as a girl who gets to ride a dragon:

Drakan-Order-of-the-Flame-Free-Download.jpg

Decent action adventure, although I found the dragon riding parts to be the weakest due to slightly clunky controls.
Not an RPG and apart from deathmatch you only get to ride dragon, not be one.

Still it's a really good game. As for the controls, it's one of the very few dragon flying games (not that they are otherwise numerous) allowing you to make a barrel roll or loop, so still incline.
Why has no one ever made a dragon flying game with some basic aerodynamics?

vota DC

Augur
Dungeon Keeper. It is hybrid game (strategy but without tactics since you can't command troops but just drop them and help with magic) with rpg elements. You can possess a dragon. So you can play as a dragon or as a spider or as a fly or as a chicken or as a beetle or as a vampire or as a ghost or as an imp.

DraQ

Arcane
Dragon simulator with Newtonian physics = DraQ's dream game?
Actually, no, but if you have a game where you control a giant flyer it would be nice for it to account for inertia and some basic aerobatic tricks, like trading velocity and altitude instead of having crappy "aerial submarine" controls.
Skyrim. You are technically a dragon soul trapped in a human body. :P
That's insufficient. :obviously:
I personally prefer playing Vindicated; it's a lot more balanced and the minigun is actually worth using (with the upgrade, at least). Normal Guncaster is good for a quick no-nonsense blastathon on mapsets like Maps of Chaos though.
I had to downgrade my difficulty level from "Dragon" to "Wyrm" in Vindicated, after I reached the spot where you ride a lift into a room full of mancubi. Now it feels like permanent EZ-mode. Wat do?

Also, gzdoom does atrocious things with the fog. They made my eyes bleed, but as far as I can tell the only way to make them stop is turning the fog off completely.

Regarding draconic FPS games, there is always U4E for UT'99 which has gun-totting dragons as one of available player classes (complete with claws, flight and fiery breath). The mod is modular so you can mash it with other weapon mods or vanilla if you don't like U4E weapons. You can also plug it into Oldschool if you'd rather play an SP campaign with it rather than DM.

Last edited:

Efe

Erudite
i remember a thread about "science-based, 100% dragon MMO". might be just what you're looking or, if it was ever released

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
I had to downgrade my difficulty level from "Dragon" to "Wyrm" in Vindicated, after I reached the spot where you ride a lift into a room full of mancubi. Now it feels like permanent EZ-mode. Wat do?

It can be tricky keeping the game at a decent difficulty given the amount of variables involved, but you could try adjusting the monster progression and/or the direct damage multipliers in the options (enemy damage/your damage).

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Legend of the Dragoon.
You don't really TURN into a dragon in Legend of Dragoon. You use powers from a dragon race (which are like, aliens) to do cool stuff.

You do command a dragon near the end which is rad.

DraQ

Arcane

It can be tricky keeping the game at a decent difficulty given the amount of variables involved, but you could try adjusting the monster progression and/or the direct damage multipliers in the options (enemy damage/your damage).
I have decided to restart on Dragon difficulty after all and just git gud.
How do you use strats with weapons that allow sighting-in?

Other than that the mod is positively metal.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Too many roguelikes to list. Nethack (maybe it was the Slash'EM variant?) has an amulet of unchanging, which you can equip after being polymorphed to keep your form permanently. Pretty sure a female dragon can lay and hatch eggs in Nethack. Quite a few angband variants have monster race classes which can let you play as a dragon, with some more custom mechanics for them.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
Depression Quest!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom