Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Boyarsky says copy protection would have helped Fallout

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
You're right, nothing wrong with it, put putting in DRM-measure that mainly hurt your customers and convinces them that pirating your stuff would have been the better option, or worse, not bothering at all with buying games from you in the future, is idiotic

You could always buy the game and pirate it. You support the developer and are set free from the annoyance that are DRM-measures. I understand it's annoying, but there's not much more you can aside from requesting the devs to stop with their piracy prevention measures.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
GOG and itch.io help with most of the DRM free stuff I want, lots of games on Steam are DRM free as well, so it's less of a bother than it was a few years ago. And most of the AAA-titles that are full of DRM aren't stuff I'm interested in anyway, so these it's less of a concern for me, and in most cases Steam is pretty painless as well. Also, as I get older and see the end is nigh at some point, I get less riled up about preservation of gaming history. I still think its important, but often I feel like most of the DRMed games aren't worth preserving that much anyway and I care less and less about these issues (although still enough to post in this thread)

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
but

err...

There is no contradiction. In capitalism everyone is looking for their self-interest, ignoring society, the planet, and morals. As long as you can get away with something, you do it. That is CAPITALISM. so yeah, i break the laws, sue me. The reds asked for tetris rights, if you think you could avoid them, avoid them.... See?

Capitalism is a retarded crypto-feudal system that only ignorant 12 year olds support. Oh and a few cultist morons like Stephan Molyneux on youtube. The rest of the world understands that capitalism sucks, is retarded, and is evil, but are too lazy to do anything about it. I mean, as long as your credit card works in the west and you can still order your overpriced pizzas and your toys, you are fine. When the next crash arrives and you will be out of money, job, and food, we will see how capitalism works then. You barely managed to contain the 2008 crisis, the next one is gonna be bigger. Have fun!

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Capitalism is a retarded crypto-feudal system that only ignorant 12 year olds support
TIL nearly the entire world is ignorant 12 year olds.
The USSR was shit, that is undeniable and "not real communism" is a non-argument" because "real communism", aka anarcho-communism is a unrealistic pipe dream because it expects that every single person will work together as a unified body. If you think that "oh people should just work together and we won't have issues dude" is legitimate way to keep a society going you are delusional.
At best, communism is unrealistic idealism, at worst it's a destructive force that will kill millions.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Caring only for yourself vs caring only for the Supreme Leader. Which is better and why?

Latelistener

Arcane
You could always buy the game and pirate it. You support the developer and are set free from the annoyance that are DRM-measures. I understand it's annoying, but there's not much more you can aside from requesting the devs to stop with their piracy prevention measures.
By purchasing such product you're saying that you're okay with whatever bullshit DRM mechanisms they're throwing at you. Requesting something isn't going to work. The only thing that speaks in a language they can understand is money.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
By purchasing such product you're saying that you're okay with whatever bullshit DRM mechanisms they're throwing at you. Requesting something isn't going to work. The only thing that speaks in a language they can understand is money.
They clearly don't, though.

all the traces of this have been slowly removed, article after article, but let me remind you this: after napster closed, cd sales in usa went down by 14%. that's huge. after audiogalaxy closed, singles sales in china went down by 90%.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
This is more than simply about sales, it's about moral values.

Every man is entitled to money produced from his work ; while piracy might not be stealing, it is depriving a hard working man from the product of his creativity and work force. While I would understand an individual being put in a position where his only choice would be steal for survival, Gaming is just a dorkishness pastime everyone here could do without (and in some cases, would be better off without). And that is not even mentioning that a price being put on a game can make said game appear to be more precious, more investing yourself into.

If anything, this thread has convinced me that every game should have copy protection.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Both, obviously. In a good company, both are rewarded.
However, if internal remuneration concerns the customer, he has the choice not to play the game altogether.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Are you by any chance working for a government agency?

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Capitalism is a retarded crypto-feudal system that only ignorant 12 year olds support
TIL nearly the entire world is ignorant 12 year olds.
The USSR was shit, that is undeniable and "not real communism" is a non-argument" because "real communism", aka anarcho-communism is a unrealistic pipe dream because it expects that every single person will work together as a unified body. If you think that "oh people should just work together and we won't have issues dude" is legitimate way to keep a society going you are delusional.
At best, communism is unrealistic idealism, at worst it's a destructive force that will kill millions.
I which way is that different from capitalism?
At least in communism there is in theory the prospect of an utopia, whereas in capitalism there is autodestruction through exploitation and consumption over and over.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom