Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dungeon of the Endless - roguelike dungeon defense set in Amplitude's Endless Space universe

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Only pod I haven't "won" with is the digger. And that is by virtue of it being unwinnable, but I was trying for the 24+ floors achievement and was beaten on floor 19.
The other pods I've all completed. The smoking gun is an effective tool. You should try it out.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Finally beat the game after 25 hours on my 17th attempt on "Easy" mode; I went in blind, so I had no clue that it was actually the hardest difficulty. Also unlocked the armory and the drill. Took a bit long because I focussed on unlocking all the heroes and figuring out all the elevator conversation combos first, which led to some rather odd party compositions. Thankfully, my final run was to recruit Chef Nanor, who seems a little bit OP with his "damage everything on the map and gain extra dust" ability.

Avoiding crystal damage seems damn near impossible on Easy though -- maybe taking crew members with slow abilities helps. Overall, it's a very enjoyable game, and the difficulty on Easy feels just about right... unless you're shooting for some specific achievements, of course. I don't think I could ever beat Easy without pausing.

Last edited:

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
SO. I quite enjoy a decent Rogue game. I like the simplicity - and difficulty. The randomness.

Larn back in my University days was a perfect little package. Then came Nethack. Now I have 185 hours on Dungeons of Diggles - sorry - I mean Dredmor.

Recently I have spent a little time on Dungeon of the Endless.

dungeon-of-the-endless---enemy-wave.jpg

A spaceship of convicted criminals has crashed on a planet formerly populated by galactic travelers known as the Endless.

Your party of two need to traverse 12 levels and escape.

Dungeon-of-the-Endless-7.jpg

Since I played Larn back in the day - I know what I am doing. Started a game with two random people and died. Then I died and died again.

Show me some respect for damn sake. I read some guidance. Then died some more. Twice I got to level 11 and died. It got quite addictive.

Pixel graphics cheap game - I showed them in the end.

You have some resources to manage. Industry allows you to build stuff. Science for research. Food for levelling your characters and healing as required. These increase by a set amount each turn or "door opening". However, in a number of rooms you can build modules that increase the three main resources.

Endless-Dungeon-Shot-01.jpg

Something called dust. The game is turn based - sort off. You open a door and see what happens. Monsters can spawn. You might bump into a shopkeeper or other fellow travellers. You might come across a research station that will help you develop your weapons and machinery. Monsters spawn from the dark places and avoid the light. Dust allows you to lighten up the different rooms. The idea is to create a safe passage so that once you found the exit one of your heroes can carry a huge crystal out of there. All hell breaks loose.

In between turns you can move your team around or build defences. Your characters have passive and active skills. Be prepared for the next door.

latest

Crap all over the guidance. Industry is key. And Dust.

In the later levels Dust is rare and you are often operating in the dark. Every door opening can lead to a good slaughtering. Some of these canny monsters head straight for you modules. I just spent about 40 science on a research project that the monsters just pommelled to the ground.

Once you find the exit you basically need to calculate whether your party can make it there carrying that large crystal. Nothing else matters. Since it's a Rogue - if you die it's Game Over.

Dungeon of the Endless is a Rogue-Like Dungeon-Defense game.

Dungeon-of-the-Endless-Pod.jpg

Come and on in if you think you are hard enough. Good game.

Leechmonger

Arbiter
I was intrigued by it at first. After playing through a few levels I concluded that the UI is terrible and the gameplay is tedious. You know what roguelites need? RTwP. Said no one ever.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I liked the game and put some hours into it.
But what killed it for me was that the randomness could go beyond reasonalbe limits, throwing stuff at you that was either FAR too easy or absolutely impossible to deal with.

Other roguelikes do that, too, sometimes, but in other roguelikes you can usually run away in some way. In this game, you must deal with it or die.

I remember one level, rather far down, where there suddenly was a huge wave consisting entirely out of those guys that run past your turrets right towards your guys. Instant party wipe, it felt slightly unfair ;)

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
I quite like the randomness of it. I have heard the RNG stuff is not quite as bad as in FTL - a game I have but not played yet.

Sometimes you find the way out straight away and then you must decide whether to leave or gamble and open more doors in the hope of gaining more resources. I have learned the industry resource is probably most important as in later levels you need to use Generators.

Early on you might find enough Dust to basically light up the whole level. A Steam Guru said he wanted 300 of each resource stocked up by the time he reached the final level. I had about 600 Industry saved up and barely made it out alive as the monsters went straight for my generators and I wasted about 90 at a time.

On my party I found it best to level up one character as they would be used as an explorer. They would often be fighting in the dark and alone whilst the rest of the gang would protect my generators.

Also just now beginning to look at the characters and modules in more detail as I assume on harder mode this becomes important.

As for the RTwP - can't explain why they have it - never used it. But maybe on harder levels it becomes a requirement.

As for the Endless Dungeon - intriguing.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
It is a great game and always good for a playthrough. Nice music and artstyle add to the atmosphere. Difficulty and randomness keep the tension up. You really need to keep your shit together on the higher levels, the game is much more tactical than it seems on first glance. Multiplayer is also decent but requires a lot (too much) coordination between players or you'll get fucked.

No need to make a new thread though.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
It's a pretty cool game. Tried to get my friend to buy it so we could co-op but that never happened. Not-Samus is my favorite character.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Not-Samus is my favorite character.

She is the only character that I have not unlocked yet despite several playthroughs. I only found her twice during multiplayer and my friend who is retarded has a suboptimal playstyle burns through characters like it is nothing and he got her killed both times. :negative:

My favorite hero is probably Sara because her insane speed can be incredibly useful tactically, in all sorts of situations. Another good hero is Rayka, I like her to defend positions while buffing module output.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
Not really gotten into the different characters yet - I just go with the random two at the beginning and then recruit the next two I encounter.

I then level up like mad whoever looks more tanky to be the main explorer.

I read somewhere that sometimes your party members can start bickering and then fight each other - anyone come across that?

spekkio

Arcane
^
Yeah, this can happen. Backup your save once in a while like a true popamoler.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
It's a good game, clocked like 50h in it. Beat it with every ship, including the dlc one and got the achievement for reaching floor 24 with the drill. The difficulty drops down considerably once you learn all the ways to maximize dust (since lack of dust is the sole reason for failing in this game bar not gitting gud) and grasp the fact that industry>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>food and building science generators is completely skipable.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
Thanks to Mary Sue Leigh i've discovered Dungeon of the Endless. A kind of party based roguelike with tower defense elements.
The game is from 2014 and it looks like nobody here has heard of it.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I fucking love this game, I've barely even touched the other titles in the Endless series, but I always come back to this one for more.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I really liked the game at first, but the randomness in it is just too much.
You can do perfectly fine for a very long time, and then suddenly the game decides to throw just wayyy too much at you and it's game over.
Similarly, you are very dependant on finding just the right things.

And in contrast to games like ToME, you don't get another chance if the RNG decides to screw you over.
Can't stand this sort of "RNG says your game is over now".

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
We had a thread about it in the strategy forum. It's a really cool little game, I beat it with every ship and also got the endless floors ship achievement. It seems difficult at first, but if you learn that dust>industry>food>science and unlock the good heroes you will be fine.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
if you learn that dust>industry>food>science and unlock the good heroes you will be fine.
That helps a lot (and funny enough, is very much in line with the other Endless games), but I found it also restricted very much how you can play.
Then again, I did play it pretty close to release IIRC, so things might have changed.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I played this game a lot back then, but tbh don't know is stuff was changed via patching or add-ons. It's true though that the same golden rules applied pretty much always and trumped any other strategy:

1. Always take a guy with the passive +dust on opening doors skill, use all your food to level him up asap so that it gives +3.
2. Always open dust factories, don't remember if that was the name, but the thingies that have a chance for a lot of dust for some industry.
3. Only sell extra items if the shopkeeper pays in dust or if they will be wasted otherwise.
4. Research the shop module asap and have someone with high tech skill to operate it. Makes a huge difference if you luck out on finding a shopkeeper early on in a level.
5. Never, ever build science production modules, it's a waste and you can research the prio stuff anyways. Also, the +dust guy also has a passive +science which is all you need.
6. Always build industry production modules as a priority with some food modules mixed in. Research the emergency generator module when you can and hoard industry. If you do it right, last couple of floors can be easier than the ones before them.

Or, in less words, when you lose it's always because one of two things:

1. Not gitting gud.
2. Lack of dust.

So:

1. Git gud.
2. Do everything you can to maximize dust.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Fun little game for a couple of hours, but I quickly found it lacking in depth and replayability. As above, it's completely reliant on min-maxing and rolling the right map.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
why are we discussing roguelikes/roguelites in general gaming?
what moron was smart enough to merge my thread with this one but dumb enough to leave the thread in general discussion? was it Infinitron or Crispy ?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom