Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ishar Series

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
They look a lot better than they play: the graphics were breath-taking in their time and still has its charm, but the extra mechanics they added to the basic EoB/DM recipe either did not do anything or did not work well. In hindsight, they are perfect examples of stlye over substance. Mind you, a great style, and even the black cardboard boxes the games were sold in were great for storing random crap.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Aargh, I finally got it on Gog. I spent a lot of time on it as a teenager, on my STe. Without the load times, the game plays pretty quickly. The UI and combat are retarded, but for some strange reason, I cannot stop myself replaying (even though I don't really like blobbers). I got my saves wiped out when my sister overwrote my floppy with lemmings saves, so I could not finish Ishar 1 (and Ishar 3 loading times on a STe were really driving me insane, so I only finished the second one).

Overall, I liked the atmosphere, and the recruitment process : I was much more excited after recruiting my two chaos warriors than I ever was recruiting any "NPC with a rich backstory and romance options". They really radiated coolness (and had über stats), and many other characters had this effect too. I think I remembered my party characteristics better than in any of the Bioware games (or even Fallout or Arcanum for that matter, but as the companions were borderline liabilities in combat, that is not too surprising).

OndrejSc

Full Auto
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
KaP0Vy.jpg

ppNL1K.jpg

GPC8m2.jpg

Naraya

Arcane
Nostalgia rush right there. This reminds me, next time I'm at my parents' I'll grab my M&M World of Xeen box from the attic :)

Shinji

Savant
I was playing the first one some years ago, up to the point I got to that cabin that kills one of your companions. I don't remember why I didn't finish it, but I remember it was a fun game. At first having to spend money to save was tricky, but later on I had so much money that it wasn't an issue anymore -- the gold hidden in the bushes near the beginning area also helped a lot.

The second one I played until I arrived in that port town.

What I really like the most is the atmosphere they've managed to convey. In the first one the only sound you hear is of howling wind, and it really gives you a feeling of isolation -- much like Myst, ICO and Shadow of the Colossus. The second one has a really good soundtrack too.

Brozef

Savant
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I remember buying them back in the day due to the box art and the great graphics, but bounced off pretty hard. Can only remember, taht I found them incredibly slow. Dont't know why really, since I never had that problem with other blobbers.

And didn't the Amiga version have sound assets that where absent on PC?

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
What I really like the most is the atmosphere they've managed to convey. In the first one the only sound you hear is of howling wind, and it really gives you a feeling of isolation -- much like Myst, ICO and Shadow of the Colossus. The second one has a really good soundtrack too.

2nd and 3rd game have beautiful graphics, 1st one is a little bland but still has that great atmosphere as you say.

I have finished Ishar 1 & 2, and I think 3 tho I cant remember now if I did get right to the end, 3 has a particularly bizarre plot involving time travel, so the doorways to new levels open up in random places at specific times... I would HIGHLY recommend using a walkthrough for this one if you genuinely want to beat it without going crazy.

The reason I love this series is because it captures the mood of classic Sword & Sorcery, specifically Robert E Howards stories where Conan is alone in the wilderness. It creates the feeling of being alone and lost in an alien, hostile landscape. And the almost complete lack of plot and dialogue with other characters actually enhances this feeling.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
Played them since they're some of the only French rpg's.

They sucked.

2 >>> 3 >>>1 for different reasons.

I remember playing all of these (including their predecessor, Crystals of Arborea) in the early and mid 90s, and robbing the bank, I think that was on Ishar 3. The guards were hard as fuck but wouldn't respawn, so you could easily spawn some spell to kill them at a distance, rest, rinse and repeat. Used the proceeds to equip the whole team with the good stuff, including some Chaos armor.

Potion crafting was a major PITA if you didn't have the manual at hand, as it listed the recipes.

Silmarils made some of the best looking games of its time, IMO (some if the hardest, too). Their graphics style had a haunting quality. Anyway, it's not an Ishar game, but do try Transarctica (a videogame adaptation of the "Ice Company" novels) from these guys.

Arrowgrab

Arbiter
Silmarils made some of the best looking games of its time, IMO (some if the hardest, too). Their graphics style had a haunting quality. Anyway, it's not an Ishar game, but do try Transarctica (a videogame adaptation of the "Ice Company" novels) from these guys.

Didn't know Transarctica was based on a novel series, have an Informative!

OndrejSc

Full Auto
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Fun fact: Ishar is french pronunciation of "I shart", the t is silent..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom