Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Help me find a specific chinese tactical RPG please!

Hey guys, Around the year 2000 my family and I went to China to visit some relatives. On a general electronics store they sold "bundles" of games in CDs. There were games like the original Age of Empires, and many, many obscure games. There was one particular game that I played over 20 times. Unfortunately I don't remeber the name of the game anymore. It was a Chinese turn based RPG game (maybe Japanese but translated to Chinese?) where:

1) The main thing I remember about the game mechanic is that movement and ability "tiles" in the game were drawn with oval-shaped mirror-like circles
2) You first lead a group of three brothers and their old father (maybe grandfather, I didn't know how to read Chinese back then) one with red hair (a swordman and the main protagonist), one with yellow hair who used his fists (knuckles and gauntlets were his weapons) and the third was a blue haired swordsman.
3) The first mission is to buy time for some villagers to escape a group of soldiers and knights
4) Very early into the game you have the choice of choosing the path where the main protagonist chooses two paths, one with the yellow haired brother or the blue haired brother. You also lost your dad very early into the game
5) The supporting cast is similar, with some differences between those two paths
6) The game featured a lot of different classes, but you couldn't choose the classes. The characters started as a specific class and stayed in that class until the end of the game
7) Depending on who you sided with in the beginning of the story, you would have to face your other brother, but in the end they all made up
8) It was a high-fantasy game, with magic and demons, angels, etc.

Please help me find this game!

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Crap, this is Vaguesville for me, so whatever I'm writing here below should not be taken 100% accurate.

The only lead I could possibly have is an isometric Chinese RPG in English that the old gaming site Adrenaline Vault covered in the early days of the internet (read: 1998 or thereabouts) and a lot about it rings familiar with what the OP is saying.

Problem is, I can't even remember the proper title to be able to look it up. It was three words, and it started (in English) like "Sign of " or "Sigil of" or something along those lines.

Beyond that I have nothing, save for the bizarre feeling that this is somehow related to the Dynasty Warriors game franchise, which is Koei's most successful franchise, but not an RPG.

I hope this helps.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Problem is, I can't even remember the proper title to be able to look it up. It was three words, and it started (in English) like "Sign of " or "Sigil of" or something along those lines.
Seal of Evil, the sequel to Prince of Qin?

Regardless, the problem here is that the vast majority of Chinese RPGs never make it outside China... he's better asking in a Chinese forum :/

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Unfortunately I'm very ignorant in this area, the only Asian strategy RPGs I know are Koei's Romance of Three Kingdoms, and they're not even Chinese games (though they probably did get Chinese translations considering the subject matter). However the description doesn't really match any of the ones that I know.

yolu

Novice
Have you found the game? I stumbled on this post and believe the game you are looking for is Xenoage ,or its enhanced version Xenoage plus (Chinese title: 时空幻境/永恒之星 ). made by a Korean company Gamasoft. Not a popular game but there is still a small Chinese community dedicated to this franchise: https://tieba.baidu.com/f?kw=%D3%C0%BA%E3%D6%AE%D0%C7&fr=ala0&tpl=5

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom