Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mysterious Dungeon: Asuka Kenzan! (Shiren the Wanderer series)

umbreon112

Novice
Hi everyone, I'm new here.

I recently came across this turn-based roguelike RPG (link) that was released in 2002 for Dreamcast and PC only in Japan. It's one of the best roguelikes I've played with 31 unique dungeons (ranging from low floor counts of 5~15F all the way up to 99F for the post game / brutal ones, and one massive 9999F dungeon that I'll likely never have time to play through).

The only issue is, it's so old and obscure that I haven't been able to find much discussion about the game, which is a shame... so I'd love to do a translation for the PC version so that it can potentially be played by others. I'm fluent in Japanese so the actual translation of text isn't an issue (easiest part), but everything else is new to me. I found RPG Codex by landing in this thread (link) while googling how to go about things.

I opened the .bin files of the game in a hex editor called wxMEdit (since it supports Shift-JIS encoding) and I found that one file contains NPC dialogue, and I can edit that to have it show up in-game (Thankfully the game already supports English characters, so I don't need to add that to the game). Here's an example of what it looks like: https://i.imgur.com/4JCRMjb.png

But I couldn't find text for other things like items, player stats, option selections, etc. in any of the .bin files, so I'm guessing they might be compressed or something.

I also learned while googling that hex editing is probably not the best way to do a translation, because you're limited by character counts having to match the Japanese text, and it's a chore (though I personally don't mind hex editing, just happy to be able to translate at all, though I'd need to find where item text is for the game to really be playable).

I've tried to hunt down various tools for extracting the .bin files like UniExtract2 (failed) and quickbms (couldn't quite figure out how to use it) but haven't had any success with my attempts, so I feel like I've hit a wall on what to do next. Does anyone here have experience with this type of thing where they could offer insight / advice? I'd greatly appreciate any help.

Perhaps I should also mention, I tried searching for Japanese text for items in cheat engine (カタナ - Katana - E3 82 AB E3 82 BF E3 83 8A ) for example, but it didn't find any matches even in memory, though perhaps that's due to my settings / cheat engine not supporting Shift-JIS or something?

Last edited:

flyingjohn

Arcane
A couple of tips:
-You should probably post his in the "translation of wapanese games" tread found in this forum
-There aren't that many codexers that actually that do the translations.Most notable is probably MrRichard999. You should send a private message and ask him for tips.
-You should also ask the same question in romhacking.net forums,since they are a dedicated rom editing site

I know this doesn't actually help you much,just thought about posting some tips.

umbreon112

Novice
Thanks for the tips, I went over to romhacking.net and posted a thread there.

Regarding sending a PM to MrRichard999, I'm concerned that I might be a waste of his time though private messages since my understanding is still very limited about this process. My current hunch is that I need to find a way to extract the .bin files, but that assumption itself might be incorrect for where I'm at - but if you think that's ok, I'll go ahead and send him a PM.

umbreon112

Novice
Cool, I also came across that site and sent a tweet to their twitter (@Lapcie) yesterday in Japanese asking if they know of a way to edit in-game text for items.

They haven't responded yet, and I get the feeling I won't get a response at all because I'm a foreigner... but it's worth a shot, haha.

In the meantime, someone on romhacking.net mentioned that I could take a look at the files with a graphic viewer instead of just a hex editor to see if anything is stored in that way. It's not much, but I ended up finding these two notables from two of the files, for whatever it's worth: https://i.imgur.com/qzgq6AU.png (left appears to be a font? and right is game sprites for items, enemies, etc)

Edit - I'll see if I can post a message to that site's message board too, as that might have more visibility compared to their twitter.

Last edited:

umbreon112

Novice
Quick update, I posted a message in Japanese on lapcie.com's message board as well, but haven't heard back yet.

Someone on romhacking.net mentioned a debugger called OllyDbg, which lead me to x64dbg. I tried stepping through the game a bit with the debugger attached, but couldn't get past the debugger checks even with ScyllaHide and giving this a try (likely due to user error on my part, since I don't really know what I'm doing yet).

So in the meantime I gave cheat engine searching another go, and found the menu/item strings under the "Codepage" option instead of UTF-16, like so: https://i.imgur.com/EIjhqhM.png

It's encouraging to at least know that the strings are in there somewhere (the image is from adjusting values in memory while the game is running, so it's not permanent: https://i.imgur.com/0ODzqrE.png - the game also crashes if text is too large or something, so my guess is that there are size constraints)

So now I'm trying to learn about what Codepages are exactly, and if there are ways to edit them similar to the Shift-JIS chars I see in hex editors.

Jinn

Arcane
The game looks like a lot of fun. Thanks for attempting this translation process and coming to the codex to let us know about it. Really hope you're able to get this thing done. Would love to play Mysterious Dungeon: Asuka Kenzan.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom