Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In a gaming funk

• Thread starter Deleted Member 16721
  • Start date

Deleted Member 16721

Since I hit a bug in SitS and my saves got erased, I'm wondering what I should delve into next. Kind of in a rut right now. Here's a few I'm considering:

Arcanum. Finally delving in deep as I've wanted to for awhile.

Alpha Centauri. Seems like an interesting game to dive into.

x3 Terran Conflict. Looking for a space sim and this might be the one.

Ellite Dangerous. Put my VR and HOTAS to use.

Grimoire. Seems like my thing if it doesn't kill me learning it.

And possibly others that you guys recommend.

What should I play?

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
header.jpg

Simple Simon

Scholar
If you have any tolerance for RPG Maker games, I strongly recommend the Last Sovereign. The only thing I can compare it to is like a mixture of Sengoku Rance, Mass Effect 3 (in the sense that you are trying to build up resources for a wide ranging conflict), the Witcher (in the sense that you play as an outcast that finds himself in position to affect global change), and Persona (part of the game is raising your relationship points with your crew). Just to forewarn you, it is an adult game. However, that stuff very quickly takes a back seat to managing investments, relationships, and increasing your own combat power so as to resolve global conflicts. Also, it is free to play.

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
Since I hit a bug in SitS and my saves got erased
HAHAHAHA! My compliments to your narrative designer. This saga is beautiful.

Mod the tits off Fallout 4. It still won't be any good, but you can shoot things and get pissed off at Bethesda. By the time you've gotten a new monitor (because you will have broken your current monitor in a towering rage, thus ending your FO4 experiment) you'll feel inspired and know instinctively what you want to play.

Trashos

Arcane
Arcanum by all means.

I wouldn't mind a space combat game myself. Does anyone have feedback for X3? I have a Wing Commander/Privateer itch I 'd like to scratch.

I am also looking for a good air combat sim, if anyone has anything to recommend. But it has to be something with a *dynamic* campaign (silent hunter style).

ArchAngel

Arcane
Play Fallout 2 of course!
Also finish your Kingmaker campaign. Did you finish Atom?

Deleted Member 16721

Play Fallout 2 of course!
Also finish your Kingmaker campaign. Did you finish Atom?

No, I've only played a dozen hours of ATOM. It's cool but I'm looking for something different.

I think I'll go with Arcanum. It's about time i gave it the proper treatment.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Arcanum's combat is too bad, I never could stand to finish it.

Alpha Centauri. Seems like an interesting game to dive into.
Do this one. It's the total package, gameplay, story, aesthetics. A legitimate classic.

Ellite Dangerous. Put my VR and HOTAS to use.
It's probably worth picking up if you have the VR gear, but don't expect to put more than a few hours in before you get bored.

Ladonna

Arcane
Change up the pace. I recently finished Pool of Radiance on the C64. Now I am twitching through the Witcher 1 once more.

I find if I try to play similar games back to back, I too get into a funk.

In your case however, since you didn't finish SitS, you may not be burnt out on that style yet, so go for Arcanum.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Arcanum and if it's your first time and you want an enjoyable playthrough I'd go either full sorcerer or melee magic. Tech is do-able amd has a lot of unique content but requires a lot more work, a good build and a crafting bent.

Deleted Member 16721

Arcanum and if it's your first time and you want an enjoyable playthrough I'd go either full sorcerer or melee magic. Tech is do-able amd has a lot of unique content but requires a lot more work, a good build and a crafting bent.

I'm going melee magic with followers. Should be fun.

deama

Prophet
If you have any tolerance for RPG Maker games, I strongly recommend the Last Sovereign. The only thing I can compare it to is like a mixture of Sengoku Rance, Mass Effect 3 (in the sense that you are trying to build up resources for a wide ranging conflict), the Witcher (in the sense that you play as an outcast that finds himself in position to affect global change), and Persona (part of the game is raising your relationship points with your crew). Just to forewarn you, it is an adult game. However, that stuff very quickly takes a back seat to managing investments, relationships, and increasing your own combat power so as to resolve global conflicts. Also, it is free to play.
I see that it's on version 0.41.4, is it ripe enough to play now or should I wait a couple more years?

Simple Simon

Scholar
I see that it's on version 0.41.4, is it ripe enough to play now or should I wait a couple more years?

Short answer, yes. Even if you don't want to keep playing updates as they come out month-to-month, you are good to play through at least the end of Chapter 3, which should take about 55 hours, and culminates in a
continental war.
It is probably one of the coolest things I've ever experienced in a video game. It is a satisfying climax of about 50 hours of gameplay. All of that content is smoothed out and in good shape. It is what Mass Effect 3 should have been. But I digress.

Sierra Lee, the developer, has been making the game for about 4.5 years. I'd say there is about 70-80 hours of content to play through right now. My up-to-date save is at 68 hours, however, that is not counting all the stuff I have replayed through and planned out beforehand. Basically each major battle/council/synod has its own html calculator. So, typically, I will spend 1-2 hours planning something out before I actually play through it. One guy does all of his playthrough on freaking spreadsheets and graph paper. Thankfully, there are easier options available in the forums and walkthroughs. There really is no such thing as an optimized playthrough but one of the guys who does a lot of the theorycrafting for the game is Fulminato, and he has made his playthrough available on the forums as well. You don't really have to worry about all the decisions for the first 2-3 hours of the game. It eases you in. Just FYI, when I say synod, that's not just a random example.
The most recent major update was a council of heads of church to decide whether succubi and orcs would be accepted into the major religion of the region where the game takes place. Pretty unique.
Also, opinions vary about which girl is best girl but the right answer is
Qum D'umpe.

buffalo bill

Arcane
depends on what you've played (obviously)

my suggestions for recent games:
Age of Decadence
Underrail
Infra Arcana
Neo Scavenger

Older games everyone should have played by now:
Fallout 1
ADOM
Jagged Alliance 2
Darklands
Cataclysm DDA (this one requires a bit more of a specialized taste, but probably perfect if you like Kenshi)
lots of other classic games etc.

moleman

Arbiter
Patron
...I wouldn't mind a space combat game myself. Does anyone have feedback for X3? I have a Wing Commander/Privateer itch I 'd like to scratch...

If it is a space COMBAT game you are looking for, you should probably avoid X3. X games are more economic sims than space combat games. Best space combat out there is Freespace 1 or 2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom