Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Your preferred Order of Operations (OoO) when exploring a corridor

Incendax

Augur
7) Reload game from step 1 after discovering there was nothing there.
I do it the other way around - blunder into shit and then reload.
I used to scout everything. Then I realized I could load my game and “assume” I had been scouting all along.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I often end up going a few steps through west path, back, a few steps through north path, back, a few steps through east path, back, then a little further than before through west path, back, a little further than before through north path ...

:obviously: thread btw.

Frozen

Arcane
SCENARIO:

Your party is exploring a dark dank dungeon and is standing in a corridor which leads ahead into the unknown. Ahead, you can see a door to your right at about 10 feet distance. Another ten feet beyond that is another corridor which branches off to your left. Near the end of the main corridor it looks like there may be a large open space.

Which do you explore first? Which last? And, most importantly, why?

Discuss!

Party? I play RPGs they are single player action games.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
1. Door - leave guards at entrance while searching room. Or just keep a close eye on the entrance if single character
2. Large open space. Perimeter first then centre.
3. Corridor last as I would guess it leads onward to the next area

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Personally, I hate opening doors right away. For some reason, I like to check as much of the "perimeter" of the dungeon as I can, so as (I guess) not to get outflanked or bum-rushed by monsters just waiting in ambush.

Sounds like a great way to get ambushed. Why would you turn your back on an unexplored door? I do the opposite, methodically clear out everything near me before moving on to another section.

In BG2 I walked around invisible (and occasionally sent that eyeball scout) whenever I could, or sent summons into the fog to trigger ambushes, so it was rare for me to get ambushed + I ambushed enemies every chance I got.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

jungl

Augur
Usually the door most tempting with what lies beyond. out of these 3 branching corridors does the best job in entertaining and getting you lost.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
SCENARIO:

Your party is exploring a dark dank dungeon and is standing in a corridor which leads ahead into the unknown. Ahead, you can see a door to your right at about 10 feet distance. Another ten feet beyond that is another corridor which branches off to your left. Near the end of the main corridor it looks like there may be a large open space.

Discuss!
What type of equipment are we carrying? Are our weapons viable for fighting in tight/enclosed spaces? Further, what is our team composition? Decisions would change depending on if you have say a thief in the group, or a full warrior unit.
Assuming that our equipment is optimal, i'd have one of the weaker party members stand guard at the door to call out in case of ambush, while we verify that both corridor and side passage do not have enemies. If they do, we quietly check door first, as it's possible there are soldiers inside, if not we still check door, but it is no longer necessary to worry about the enemies down the hall, as well as attracting unwanted attention by a creaky door.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
SCENARIO:

Discuss!

I immediately go to the Codex to post in the game's thread and berate people for playing this sub-par crawler instead of a better one.

This reminded me of my first time ever playing Daggerfall shortly after its release. Privateer's Hold. I had picked Acute Hearing, so I was hearing creatures from a mile away in the dungeon and absolutely terrified of it. Even building up the courage to face that first rat behind the secret door was quite an ordeal. Then, moving up the stairs to the right and following the corridor, that fucking Imp opened the door on me and shock-blasted me to death in less than a second. The second time, I managed to skip the door without alerting the Imp to my presence and didn't return until I came upon the second door with a flight of stairs down. That sort of became my default behaviour then: skip the door until you come upon a second one and then return to it.

Depends on the game, though, on the depth of simulated systems. Is sound a concern? Is it possible to attract unwanted attention from elsewhere in a fight? (That probably eliminates 95% of all CRPGs) Are there patrols or otherwise free-moving NPCs?

In JA2 (game systems in the top 0.01%), for instance, I would leave one or two mercs (depending on their equipment and skill levels) covering the corridoor while the rest proceeded by the opposite wall, and when I came upon a door, have that merc(s) cover the entry to the door, ready to ambush any who might come out and ideally from around a corner so they could escape if need be, with another merc covering their back and then proceed down the corridor. More or less the same applied to Hidden and Dangerous 2 as well, though there weren't many tight spaces in there. Firearms change the dynamics quite a bit, I suppose.

In most party games, IE series included, I would check just a little bit ahead, not too much and then return to the door. Put melee fighters around the door to ambush potential outcomers, put ranged characters a little further back to support them, and then open the door for a quick "Hi" in case there are hostiles inside. I wouldn't be predisposed to waste AoE spells on such tight quarters where tunnelling them into a grind would be far more efficient.

Whether I would save beforehand in either type of game varies. Imposing little regrets on myself everynow and then certainly adds spice to a game.

laclongquan

Arcane
Well it depends on party composition.

1. Rogue thief will check the nearest door to be sure of no trap await~
2. Invisible door blocker will open the door and blocking it to prevent inside fighting out.
3. Check the inside for loots.
4. Repeat the process with the next, farther, door.
5. Then move to the open space and investigate that.

Why? Because it's no fun to get pincer by 1st or 2nd door and appearing boss in the open space.

Master

Arbiter
I would lay a bunch of traps down the corridor, then open all the doors and let them taste their own medicine.

nikolokolus

Arcane
I go to the slums and hire a bunch of beggars and tell them "100gp and all the whiskey you can drink to the first man down the hall." Wash, rinse, repeat until all of the traps are sprung and all of the monster's bellies are full, then I go back to town and find another half-dozen desperate dupes.

Barbalos

Savant
Follow the radar to the Quest marker while spamming my attack key on any mobs that get in my way without looking away from the mini-map radar.

laclongquan

Arcane
Personally, I hate opening doors right away. For some reason, I like to check as much of the "perimeter" of the dungeon as I can, so as (I guess) not to get outflanked or bum-rushed by monsters just waiting in ambush.

Sounds like a great way to get ambushed. Why would you turn your back on an unexplored door? I do the opposite, methodically clear out everything near me before moving on to another section.

In BG2 I walked around invisible (and occasionally sent that eyeball scout) whenever I could, or sent summons into the fog to trigger ambushes, so it was rare for me to get ambushed + I ambushed enemies every chance I got.

Stealth scout for the win!

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Hit enter and type:
marco
hit enter.

Hit enter and type:
polo
hit enter.

Fogs in RPGs are meh,you end up killing everything anyway,no reason to see only half the setting,also people don't see in a circle around them of 3 meters.
:obviously:

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I use summons to scout everything, then plan accordingly. Never put a party member other than the tank in jeopardy unless absolutely necessary, including the scout.

If summons have shared vision with the party, the use of snipers and long ranged actions to take out enemies with minimal party involvement and/or ammo takes priority.

Clean.

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
wtf fucking games do you cray cray mofos even play

tank?

summons??

snipers????????????????????????????

like what

mondblut

Arcane
This thread is a good detector of noobs who haven't played anything released before baldur's gate. "I send someone to scout ahead", lmao, what?

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

Thonius

Arcane
Plot twist whole area isadoor storage.
But really it depends if the game got map. No map right hand rule. Yes map then just move around perimeter.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom