Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Emulation central - recommendations in 1st post

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
There's definitely something to be said about how the source material does or doesn't lend itself to modification.

Recently I've experimented a lot with PPSSPP's high resolution, antialiasing, texture filtering, etc., with very decent results. However, PSP games have PS2 level 3D models, or pretty close. The much simpler 3D models from PS1 and N64 games do not look good in HD.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
wow you use graphical wow you suck games are to be played the way they were always meant to be without filters on your 55inch LCD.

Fucking idiots.

HansDampf

Arcane
You could argue, the high resolution Mode 7 clashes with the big pixels of the sprites.
I never got the appeal of scanlines though. They can look good on a few games (Super Metroid), but most of the time they are too strong and, like other crappy filters, look like an unnecessary veil put over the image. If you really wanted an authentic retro console experience, you'd also have to deal with different color palettes, add some NTSC filter with color bleed effects, and simulate the curvature of CRT screens. Basically a whole lot of effort to make the game look worse.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I don't get the appeal of HD mode 7.

Well it just doesn't look like a pixelated mess, what's not to get about that?

Look at that F-Zero. In pixelated mode you have depth more or less, with mode 7 whole think looks flat.
Also pixelated mode is not actually supposed to look like that in first place.

pixelated mode is something we get when you use LCD screens instead of CRT as LCD have pixels and almost no black space between pixels and that black space is very much part of artstyle.

This is how pixelated game looks like on LCD

blocky.png

And this is how "pixelated" game looks like on CRT

%5BUNSET%5D.jpg

You forgot the part where my TV cropped enough of the image that I couldn't read text at the top of the screen and had like 1/4th this much contrast. Ah, the good ol' days.

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant
If you really wanted an authentic retro console experience, you'd also have to deal with different color palettes, add some NTSC filter with color bleed effects, and simulate the curvature of CRT screens.
Uh......SCART and the PAL broadcast system was a thing, you know. Neither S-Video nor Component video have color issues, and were also supported in the late retro period. As were flat-screen CRTs. And different color pallets is largely an NES thing, not a retro thing in general.

I've already given my opinion on scanlines elsewhere, but suffice it to say I largely agree.

HansDampf

Arcane
If you really wanted an authentic retro console experience, you'd also have to deal with different color palettes, add some NTSC filter with color bleed effects, and simulate the curvature of CRT screens.
Uh......SCART and the PAL broadcast system was a thing, you know. Neither S-Video nor Component video have color issues, and were also supported in the late retro period. As were flat-screen CRTs. And different color pallets is largely an NES thing, not a retro thing in general.
In other words, there isn't the one true retro experience.

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant
my problem with filters is that i waste more time tweaking scanline width or whatever than playing the games

: (
You sound like me and datahoarding.
In other words, there isn't the one true retro experience.
No, and anyone who told you otherwise is a shitcock; it's a spectrum (cue autism jokes here) rather than a discreet datapoint. Values may fall along it or outside it, but fundamentally cannot encompass the entire range. The best you could do is extrapolate a collection of settings that would represent the most common experience, adjusted for both historical income level and legacy television broadcast region.

Nathir

Liturgist
Anyone knows what I can do to get past the black screen in Devil survivor on Citra?

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
On a CRT, the intro to FF7 and it's transition to actual gameplay was super smooth. You couldn't tell so easily what was polygonal and what was pre-rendered backgrounds, so everything blended in nicely and the effect is remarkable.

Now, you play FF7 on Steam or PS4 and it's super sharp, with the polygonal models resolution clashing against the blurry pre-rendered backgrounds, making it one of the ugliest gaming experiences you can find.

That's what the filters are for.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Another way to make PS1 polygons to blend better with pre-rendered low-res backgrounds is to increase the internal native resolution and then downsampling to the original one.

Puukko

Arcane
Man, this is annoying. RPCS3 has been stable for me for weeks, but recently I've been getting bluescreens which I am 95% certain are due to my controller. It used to have a ghost input issue which now seems to be gone in favor of this one. Anyway, after one such bluescreen my old installation of RPCS3 stopped launching and I installed a newer version, carrying my save data over and hoping this would fix the freezes that started happening along with the bluescreens. It didn't, and I tried several measures like deleting the caches and playing around with the config to no avail. It wasn't until I tried playing in windowed instead of fullscreen that the freezing seemed to stop. This is mildly inconvenient for recording purposes, but I guess I'll have to make do with it since I am getting close towards the end of P5. It's really weird though, and completely wiping GPU drivers did nothing to help. Fucking computers, man.

I considered looking into an adapter for my old 360 controllers to switch over from my DS3 but they all seem to be wireless and I don't want to deal with the battery hassle. Might have to look into investing on a DS4.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
funnily enough on Linux using mesa, the OpenGL backend runs and compiles faster than the vulkan backend.

Puukko

Arcane
Puukko : if you are using vulkan on nvidia, there is a driver bug that causes freezing of rpcs3 in fullscreen (but there shouldn't be blue screens..) the controller has nothing to do with it.
https://github.com/RPCS3/rpcs3/issues/5351

OpenGL mode won't freeze but it won't run as fast (usually).
Okay, good to know. I had none of those freezes until a few days ago when I had a sudden increase in bluescreens so I wasn't sure if there was a connection or not.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Okay, good to know. I had none of those freezes until a few days ago when I had a sudden increase in bluescreens so I wasn't sure if there was a connection or not.

If you have windows 10 it will autoupdate all your drivers unless you explicitly install a tool to tell it not to. How and when it decides to do it isn't clear (it rarely installs the actual latest, newest release, it's not really in sync with what manufacturer release. It will update you to some newer but not latest release, but thankfully won't do something dumb like rollback if you install something newer than what is in windows update) but that may be what happened to you a few days ago, going from a working driver release to a bugged one.
From what people said on the github issue rolling back to a much older driver version fixes the issue but I just don't care enough about this problem/rpcs3 to try.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Puukko : if you are using vulkan on nvidia, there is a driver bug that causes freezing of rpcs3 in fullscreen (but there shouldn't be blue screens..) the controller has nothing to do with it.
https://github.com/RPCS3/rpcs3/issues/5351

OpenGL mode won't freeze but it won't run as fast (usually).
This is interesting. With the latest release I have freezes and hard crashes when using opengl but not when using vulkan (I have an nvidia).

Puukko

Arcane
Emulating SMT IV. It is described as having "okay" compatibility which seems quite accurate. Battle sprites often partially turn into black boxes during some effects and Burroughs randomly speaks at 200% volume regardless of settings. Rather minor issues, and based on what I've read, 3DS audio was a nightmare to reverse engineer anyway.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom