Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Codex Year of the Donut
By the way, to the fellow who just stated that he "claimed back the portfolio of murder from Cyric". Do you know just how retarded that is, and how many rules it breaks? First of all, after being brought back to "life", Bhaal is NOT a deity, or even a demigod, since he doesn't have a portfolio. Cyric is a Greater Power, in other words, almost a god amongst gods, the top tier, the creme de la creme. How exactly would Bhaal just TAKE a portfolio from him? By asking nicely? Breaking and entering? And yes, I know that such a thing is mentioned in ONE book, in passing, but it has been retconned since. Thirdly, Bhaal, if he actually started claiming divinity without a porfolio, would have a nice, long chat with Ao.
HpFyFhB.png

Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I kind of don't get this. It has always seemed gimmicky to me. Is it something people actually want? I personally have never been that impressed with being able to move everything in Larian's games.

There's a subset of people (Swen among them) who really liked the interactive simmy elements of Ultima 7 and are disappointed that RPGs in general left them by the wayside.

Of course Swen wasn't disappointed enough to pay for the expense of putting in NPC schedules in either D:OS :smug:

Codex Year of the Donut
At least he did imply that you can do things like throwing chairs and tables at people in combat, which is a big step up in environmental interactivity from the static backgrounds of the Infinity Engine.
I kind of don't get this. It has always seemed gimmicky to me. Is it something people actually want? I personally have never been that impressed with being able to move everything in Larian's games.
Any game where you can't put a pot over a shopkeeper's head to blind him and then rob him is not immersive

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Of course Swen wasn't disappointed enough to pay for the expense of putting in NPC schedules in either D:OS :smug:

You raise an interesting point. Maybe with a 300 person team he can finally manage it!

I think he should've went for a Kickstarter then. I can't fathom why he would cut himself from more money to make features like this happen.

Obviously, I am not him, and I do not know his finances, but I think it's a missed opportunity.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I think he should've went for a Kickstarter then. I can't fathom why he would cut himself from more money to make features like this happen.

Obviously, I am not him, and I do not know his finances, but I think it's a missed oportunity.
NPC schedules were a stretch goal for D:OS, and then he found out that it was far more expensive than what he had anticipated, so they were cut. for D:OS 2 he didn't even bother.

Codex Year of the Donut
Even rudimentary schedules add a lot of life to a game, they don't need to be advanced cutting edge AI.
This is how Bethesda games keep selling so well: Even if their content is shit, nobody else even tries.

Quillon

Arcane
NPC schedules were a stretch goal for D:OS, and then he found out that it was far more expensive than what he had anticipated, so they were cut. for D:OS 2 he didn't even bother.

Should Feargus be commended for insisting on keeping ship combat cos it was a promised feature when Josh wanted to cut it? :D In light of how it went for InXile when they under-delivered on promised features.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Should Feargus be commended for insisting on keeping ship combat cos it was a promised feature when Josh wanted to cut it? :D In light of how it went for InXile when they under-delivered on promised features.

Josh cut ship combat, then Feargus brought it back as a stretch goal against his wishes because he's a stubborn jerk.

You raise an interesting point. Maybe with a 300 person team he can finally manage it!

Can't find the article anymore atm. But interestingly, whilst he loves Ultima 7, he appears not that deeply into detailed NPC schedules. AFAIK his core reason as to why was that he'd rather prefer not to look for an NPC when he needs to find him (say, for completing a quest). That is, aside of the additional ressources required: Complex NPC schedules mean significant working hours put into something that doesn't actually result in any immediate gameplay as such. Which is what separates him from then-Origin. They didn't want to merely make games at that point revolving around the player. They wanted to simulate worlds in which the Avatar was but one (important) creature of many. It's one of the reasons why there has never been quite a game like U7 since, as that's such an unusual approach.

Whilst BG3 too may not go that deeply into NPC scheduling, the thinking behind it all is still the thing I'm most interested in when they start releasing some footage. At the risk of repeating myself, the IE games on that end are pretty static affairs. Outside of dialogue trees, combat, loot and quests, nothing much is overly touchable. Improvisation is a big thing in (pen&paper) role-playing, and the more systems are at work here (AI, weather, lighting, physics, etc.), the more improvisation and player expression is allowed. Even the AI could express itself in more nuanced ways -- thinking of the companions here. It's the one area they could -- emphasis on could -- actually improve from the classics of yesteryore -- even Bioware didn't do much with their AAA "spiritual successor" here expect for giving Dragon Age a cinematic coat of paint.

Last edited:

Fairfax

Arcane
“We’ve gotten some pushback on some game mechanics,” Mearls admits. “You [indicating Vincke] have talked about how spell slots might not be the most intuitive thing.
Cooldowns pretty much confirmed.

At this rate Sword Coast Legends might turn out to be a more faithful D&D adaptation.
Swen is a molepopping buffoon. Despite keeping the name, 5E doesn't even have actual spell slots, and I've never seen a casual who couldn't undestand its implementation in a couple of minutes.

Codex Year of the Donut

Josh cut ship combat, then Feargus brought it back as a stretch goal against his wishes because he's a stubborn jerk.
ship """combat"""
it's a text-based minigame

"To convice WotC that we were the right guys, we told them that we want this game to feel like you just opened the Player's Handbook but it came to a computer screen."

"Missing isn't very fun, so we had to make some adjustments."

Pick one, Swen.

At least he did imply that you can do things like throwing chairs and tables at people in combat, which is a big step up in environmental interactivity from the static backgrounds of the Infinity Engine.
These are the same examples he has been giving about environment interaction before D:OS1.
agree, and coming from larian I take it as a negative because they will just put exploding barrels of acid and oil and now pub tables and chair set ups along any and every hidden deer trail 400 miles deep into some wilderness. They become obsessed with a single design concept and just beat you over the head with it for 100 hours 2 games in a row...its not that interesting

It's more what Swen wants.
dude is a spaz

Codex Year of the Donut
one thing isometric(IE-style) RPGs really skimp on that hurts the game is portraits. Attaching an image to something makes it more memorable than a block of text.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Ao doesn't decide who is a god. He cannot strip Moradin or Corellon of their godhood you fukknut. He doesn't have that power. You fukknut. He is in control of realsmapce that is it. You fukknutz.

He can bar Tiamat from realmspace but HE CANNOT DESTROY HER OR REMOVE HER GODHOOD EVEN IF SHE HAS NO REALMS PORTFOLIOS OR FOLLOWERS.

Why are you fukknutz?

Codex Year of the Donut
one thing isometric(IE-style) RPGs really skimp on that hurts the game is portraits. Attaching an image to something makes it more memorable than a block of text.

If that was true, you'd have a memorable avatar.
That's not even a witty insult because it has nothing to do with what's in my post. Do they teach English in your shithole?

“We’ve gotten some pushback on some game mechanics,” Mearls admits. “You [indicating Vincke] have talked about how spell slots might not be the most intuitive thing. One of the things with Dungeons and Dragons, which I think is very important, is the method by which we do things is not as important for tabletop players as the actual effect on the table.”
:prosper::prosper::prosper::prosper::prosper:

fuck sake
so swen is not only shitting up bg3 it's also going to stink up D&D in general

Is this confirmation that BG3 won't have vancian casting? Or a resting system? Nice adaptation of the player's handbook Swen. Fuck you.
too complicated. They will make it so you can press or hold the A button down and machine gun magic missile. higher levels will mean faster machine gunning. Fucking Awesome.... Plus per D&D canon magic missiles never fucking miss. Like the most awesomeness thing ever. They just need to not be so damn complicated as they are now. Who can possibly understand how D&D magic system works?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom