Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Question about fallout lore.

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
Do people still(as in New Vegas timeline) live in comfy vaults or have they all pretty much been abandoned?

Only answers based on the original 2 games + New Vegas allowed, no dumb B*thesda shit.

Xeon

Augur
In New Vegas city they turned one of the vaults into a fancy hotel iirc. So there are probably some vaults that been converted into homes or living facilities or whatever. Most of them are abandoned tho pretty sure.

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
lol would be cool if some active vaults were left alone by the wastelanders in the same way how we dont contact random island tribes

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Several of the Vaults in the Mojave were inhabited until very recently. Vault 21 was cleared out by Mr. House less than a decade prior to the events of the game, the Fiends killed the inhabitants of Vault 3, and there are actually a handful of people still alive inside the irradiated Vault 34 when the game begins.

It is therefore quite plausible that there are still undespoiled Vaults in the world, continuously inhabited since the Great War.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I agree with Infinitron 100% but I'd also say that, given the examples we have, it's likely to be very rare to find a still fully functioning one.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
First most of Vaults were designed to fail and only 10% irc of them were control vaults which were able to operate for longer periods of time of those most were cleared by People like Mr House, Enclave, Fiends etc... or opened by rebellion from within cause living in controlled environment without much hardship and no external danger will make you onto Swedes ready to open the doors and invite those poor refugees raiders inside their utopia in a a few generations unless you are non comfomist group like Boomers but then why to sit in the vault when you can conquer your own place under the sun? So only Vault which would be left pristine and with living inhabitants will be one a) well build b) located in the middle of unassailable terrain or perhaps inside heavily irradiated zones and c) inhabited by people who would never contemplate opening those doors so maybe perhaps monks or RPG-Codexers. Take the Vault as metaphor of womb sure its warm safe and comfy there but sooner or later you either move out or are moved out. Vaults were never meant to save population and most people who survived were hidden in better built military bunkers or private shelters who were not designed to fail and/or test its inhabitants like rats.

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
I agree. Sometimes his like short quibs are ok, like the one I posted. I dropped him as a serious thing a long time ago tho. Dumb leb insecure larper that he is.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
you have excluded it, but f4 had a nice still inhabited vault which had lots of issues with things getting too old. Basically they were forced to engage with outside world to get spare parts

If you're gonna ignore the OP and discuss the Bethesda stuff then Fallout 3 literally starts with a vault that's still "normal" and fully functioning. I don't even remember if that vault was supposed to have an experiment going on or what.

Codex Year of the Donut
except for main protagonist that for some reason is let in).
IIRC, because you're a fellow vault dweller therefore they assume you're safe.

First most of Vaults were designed to fail and only 10% irc of them were control vaults which were able to operate for longer periods of time of those most were cleared by People like Mr House, Enclave, Fiends etc... or opened by rebellion from within cause living in controlled environment without much hardship and no external danger will make you onto Swedes ready to open the doors and invite those poor refugees raiders inside their utopia in a a few generations unless you are non comfomist group like Boomers but then why to sit in the vault when you can conquer your own place under the sun? So only Vault which would be left pristine and with living inhabitants will be one a) well build b) located in the middle of unassailable terrain or perhaps inside heavily irradiated zones and c) inhabited by people who would never contemplate opening those doors so maybe perhaps monks or RPG-Codexers. Take the Vault as metaphor of womb sure its warm safe and comfy there but sooner or later you either move out or are moved out. Vaults were never meant to save population and most people who survived were hidden in better built military bunkers or private shelters who were not designed to fail and/or test its inhabitants like rats.
There seems to be a pretty heavy implication that breaking into a vault would be extremely tough for anyone sans a bunch of super mutants. Vault 3 in NV stayed closed despite being a control vault, they had to open the vault to trade(?) after their water pipes went bad(? IIRC?) and were subsequently killed by raiders.
Additionally, not all non-control vaults were designed to be extreme. Many of them were just social experiments e.g., Vault 15.

To answer the OP -- I'd go with "yes". While none of them are really featured in 1/2/NV I'd say this is just for gameplay reasons and many of them were inhabited until very recently. The odds of there being at least one vault still functional with descendants of its original residents is pretty high.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom