Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Smaug and Lilura argue about Baldur's Gate, RTwP vs TB, etc

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
so apparently I need to play fallout to say bg1 sucks.

challenged accepted.

on character creation now

hell bovine

Arcane
i got no where to go after high school, I’m kinda stupid and my grades aren’t to good. millitary is the only option I’m probably not coming back from it. and I probably don’t have time to play RPGs in the millitary
What sort of bull... is that. Not every job requires good grades. Don't you have any trade apprenticeships where you live?

Also, everyone is dumb in high school. That's part of the growing up experience.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
i got no where to go after high school, I’m kinda stupid and my grades aren’t to good. millitary is the only option I’m probably not coming back from it. and I probably don’t have time to play RPGs in the millitary
What sort of bull... is that. Not every job requires good grades. Don't you have any trade apprenticeships where you live?

Also, everyone is dumb in high school. That's part of the growing up experience.
k

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA

challenged accepted.

Lean proper profession, something practical like plumber, electrician or something like that. From what I've heard from my american friends, those kind of jobs will get you employed regularly.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Whatever you do, don't pick humanities degree. Oh, and learn some programming on your spare time.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Fallout’s map is confusing me.

like I can walk a little bit into walls? and sometimes not.

hell bovine

Arcane

challenged accepted.

Lean proper profession, something practical like plumber, electrician or something like that. From what I've heard from my american friends, those kind of jobs will get you employed regularly.
Yep. The only reason to go to a college or uni is if the job you want to do absolutely requires a degree. If you don't know what you want to do, learning a trade is a far better choice than wasting years (and $$$) for a degree you might never use.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
after a couple of hours of Fallout it’s pretty cool, CC is great, reactive environment, I really like the Wasteland aesthetics and the setting is far more interesting than BG and others. but I fucking hate the combat, very janky. Having a hard time getting super invested might come back later when I get bored of my other RPGs.

CC is definitely incline.

Kyl Von Kull
@and others.

the early build I built was a lock pick/sneak character with high agility and perception with specialization in small weapons

but seriously who the fuck designed the
combat system?
:nocountryforshitposters:

Last edited:

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
im not going to play again anytime soon, because if I force myself to play it now im probably not going to enjoy forcing myself through a game.

that being said, I’m not sure what the drama was about earlier when people were jumping on my case to play a game I wasn’t interested in.

and it definitely isn’t anything like BG1, so I’m not sure why I needed to play it to criticize BG. (according to some people)

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
im not going to play again anytime soon, because if I force myself to play it now im probably not going to enjoy forcing myself through a game.

that being said, I’m not sure what the drama was about earlier when people were jumping on my case to play a game I wasn’t interested in.

and it definitely isn’t anything like BG1, so I’m not sure why I needed to play it to criticize BG. (according to some people)
You are already more qualified than the average gaming journo. Congratulations.

Codex Year of the Donut
I don't know why people would recommend Smaug play storyfag games when he's obviously interested in combatfag games.
smaug
ToEE
KOTC
Wiz 7 & 8
Underrail(I think you'll really like this one tbh)
Jagged Alliance 2
Blackguards 1
dungeon rats
battle brothers
Templar Battleforce

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Lilura and Smaug could be Demi Moore and Ashton Kutcher in a dramatized 'codex documentary.

Both trannies, of course, we wouldn't have it any other way.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
I don't know why people would recommend Smaug play storyfag games when he's obviously interested in combatfag games.
smaug
ToEE
KOTC
Wiz 7 & 8
Underrail(I think you'll really like this one tbh)
Jagged Alliance 2
Blackguards 1
dungeon rats
battle brothers
Templar Battleforce
Had wizardry and TOEE, will look into Underrail and Blackguards:salute:
And dungeon rats
Is LOG really that good it’s RT so I mean meh,
I’ll look up some gameplay I know it’s a sequel to Dungeon master

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
smaug the overwhelming consensus here is that turnbased is better, but no one wants to give you moral support because you have no basis for any of your sweeping pronouncements. You’ve played what, five CRPGs? Maybe one of them to completion? No one who disagrees with you wants to give your arguments the time of day for the same reason. What’s the point of arguing with someone whose experience of the genre is as shallow as a puddle?

When people tell you to go play Fallout, they’re not fucking with you—that’s the absolute bare minimum before they’ll consider taking you seriously. It’s arguably the best CRPG ever made, and in many ways the most important. You won’t understand many of the things these games should be aiming for until you play Fallout or Arcanum, which was made by the same guys along the same principles, but with a smaller team, so it’s a lot more janky. Hell, have you played any of the Troika games? Go play Temple of Elemental Evil if you want the best implementation of turn based D&D combat.

It’s not your fault that you have minimal experience of CRPGs, but don’t you know how the internet works? Even the idiots on this forum have a knowledge base. Coming in here like Moses descending from Mount Sinai, ready to dispense wisdom because you’ve got a hundred whole hours in Kingmaker and you’re playing Pool of Radiance for the first time... I mean, what reaction did you expect?

“I adhere to blobbers and dungeon crawlers,” he says. My dude, have you ever played a blobber or a dungeon crawl to completion? Can you see why that might be funny? It’s like someone who’s only seen three movies having very strong opinions about the best film ever made.

I can’t tell you if you’re just trying to parody Mondblut or you’re taking the Mondblutian party line in the hope of racking up brofists, but either way you might want to rethink your approach.
this triggered me enough to play Fallout. still puzzled by statements like this though. thread is basically over.

looks like I am a monbluntian.

plus most of my critism for BG came from after playing IWD, not just CoK. Which happens to be a dungeon crawler.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
You could skip LoG1, it modern and pretty but everything was done much better in the Goldbox games. But it does have a lot of puzzles that are surprisingly good imo. And it is nice to see that type of game in a modern engine and dream of how things could be if the world wasn't so dumb.

LoG2 is much better, far bigger game and more interesting world, far better loot, and everything is better really. Good puzzles again but a lot of them are too obtuse. The combat is improved over the first game but still quite shit. But if you add the Magic of Grimrock mod it becomes really great. But the clicking the runes gimmick can easily run it, unless you are happy to use some macro software.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
But yeah, I much preferred Fall of the Dungeon Guardians too. LoG2 with that mod comes close though. I also liked MMX even though a lot of it is worse than the earlier series from 50 years ago :/ But I dig the combat.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
I can’t wait to play the early M&Ms, large open worlds with tons shit and fun skills. kind of like a light hearted wizardry.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Legend of Grimrock is pretty much just modern remake of Dungeon Master with a bit different mechanics, I kinda preferred LoG 1 over LoG 2 because it somewhat lost a bit of focus by making it into bigger game. If you really want to get punished, play Chaos Strikes Back, that has made mincemeat even from DM veterans.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom