Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The fall of golden fall.

Mustawd

Like I was told "No Baldur's gate, but pretty addictive"

Baldur’s Gate is shit. So that sounds like praise IMO.

EDIT: The title of this thread is hilarious. Makes no sense whatsoever.

Last edited by a moderator:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This looks like one of those games you can get for 90 cents on Steam except it costs 4 bucks instead and for that kind of money I can get much better games, for example I recently bought the classics Imperium Galactica and Imperium Galactica 2 for less than 4 bucks together, and that's much more value for my money than... this.

I've played free flash games on Newgrounds 10 years ago that looked better than this.

You should put some more effort into your game PompiPompi before you try to sell and promote it. This looks very much like an amateur effort, and not a particularly good one. Heck, people here have dug up incredibly amateurish and obscure RPGs in the "Really Obscure RPGs" thread that is pinned in this subforum, which look more interesting than yours.

The problem of yours is:
- the graphics look extremely amateurish and bad (including the interface)
- the combat looks simplistic
- there isn't much explanation of the systems so I assume the systems are pretty simple too

You need to do better in at least one of these areas. If your game looks cool, people will be interested even if it's simple. If the graphics suck (like yours do), you need to have good systems to get people interested. Or a good story or cool setting, both of which seem to be missing here, too.

There just isn't anything about that game that looks like it's worth 4 bucks.

And yes, you can say that it took you a lot of work a couple more times, but nobody gives a fuck. All the player cares about is how fun the game is, not how much work you invested.
So take a step back and invest some more work.

PrettyDeadman

Is this an alt of one of many Cleve s enemies? How soon should we expect trouble?

PrettyDeadman

A man with name offer rubistein has to be anti-cleve troll.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I mean, let's take a look at your game's pitch on the store page.

It's utterly terrible.

Golden Fall is a cave crawling RPG using time based tactical battles.

What the FUCK is this supposed to mean? Time based tactical battles?? Time based????

There's turn based, there's real time, there's real time with pause, there's phase based, there's simultaneous resolution turn based (aka WEGO), but what the fuck does time based mean? Is it real time or turn based or some kind of hybrid?
This only shows that you have no clue about your terminology. Very bad first impression. Doesn't exactly exude an air of competence.

The Golden Fall is of our hero who looks for a quick coin and fall into the cave many adventurers have ventured into but never came out of.
Once our hero falls, the only way out is to delve deeper.

Your grammar is wonky. This all sounds very awkward in English. I gather it's not your first language? This doesn't instill much confidence in your writing ability.

The game contains 8 hand tailored levels, no procedural levels mean creative level design instead of generic AI levels.
You will level up, find equipment, gain skills, spells and yes... find gold.

I like that it's got hand made levels instead of procedural, but again, your phrasing is a little awkward. Also, the "level up, find equipment, gain skills spells and gold" is essentially what every RPG has. You could just say the game is an RPG. No need to list up the basic gameplay elements of the genre your game is a part of. It only makes you come across as someone who has no idea about the genre conventions if you list the genre's basic features as if they were special.

Unique monsters and challenges awaiting. There are no orcs, vampires or your typical fantasy monsters. The monsters are unique to this game and world.

And yet the video shows extremely generic blob enemies that many JRPGs have featured before. Wow. So unique and interesting. I'd rather fight orcs and vampires than featureless blobs to be honest.

Play with the arrow keys and mouse.

Again, this doesn't make the potential customer think "Wow! I can use both of my common input devices I have on my PC to play this game!"
Instead, it comes across like you're a very inexperienced amateur, because every professional game has mouse and keyboard as standard controls. If you need to mention this, it means you don't consider your game to be on par with the standard.

thesecret1

Arcane
Also, the "level up, find equipment, gain skills spells and gold" is essentially what every RPG has. You could just say the game is an RPG.
But "It's an RPG." doesn't sound like a good pitch. He simply listed out basic stuff and added a part about "unique monsters" so as to have enough word garnish to distract from the fact he has nothing to offer.

Honestly, the whole thing comes off as "Let's try to make a video game!" hobby project, more about the author learning new things rather than developing something worthwhile. Only he has the nerve to ask money for the equivalent of a bad flash game, and he made the thing in Unity (seriously, why? This could serve as a good exercise in C++ with OpenGL basics on top. There is absolutely no need for Unity in a game like this) so he probably didn't learn all that much either.

Curratum

Coders can't design good games and game designers can't code, and that's without even mentioning art and assets. I don't understand why people expect a competent, fun game from a single dev.

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
The only reason to buy games these days is to annoy people. Your pitch should have listed the various categories of people I can piss off by buying this game and the likely amusing consequences.

Also, change name to Golden Shower.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Coders can't design good games and game designers can't code, and that's without even mentioning art and assets. I don't understand why people expect a competent, fun game from a single dev.
What are you on about? There's plenty of multi-talented game devs.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Back in college I made a game with revolver-wielding maid and cartoon zombies. It was p. embarrassing but I felt relieved that there are shittier games than mine.

Anyway Jarl gave good advice. If OP listens to him he'll have a chance in the future.

Uh, we expect a commercial product to be a competent commercial product.

Curratum

What are you on about? There's plenty of multi-talented game devs.

Could you perhaps name someone who both designed and coded a great game?

ShaggyMoose

Savant
I know this is the codex, but jeez... Its like a snake pit in here.

PompiPompi, happy to help with the translation of the Steam store page to fix some of the grammar issues raised by JarlFrank. Its an easy thing to address compared to some of the other feedback...

Curratum

After half an hour of deliberation, I found a way to prove myself wrong - there IS a man who is good at coding games and good at designing them, and I think he even makes his own art for them - it's Zach Barth, the guy who made SpaceChem and Opus Magnum and Infinifactory and Shenzhen I/O.

Mustawd

After half an hour of deliberation, I found a way to prove myself wrong - there IS a man who is good at coding games and good at designing them, and I think he even makes his own art for them - it's Zach Barth, the guy who made SpaceChem and Opus Magnum and Infinifactory and Shenzhen I/O.

Also, the NEO Scavenger guy.

Turuko

Learned
on one hand you got a complete functioning piece of software (allegedly?), legally selling on the biggest digital store out there, you're already part of a small group of people that can say that, so props to you

on the other hand dear god please don't quit your day job

Darth Canoli

Arcane
This is a prequel to the Golden Shower?

This was almost prophetic, the golden shower happened, after all.

26752.jpg

And now with a Minsc avatar, you're going to be popular around here, i can tell ...

Void_Pickle

Educated
On topic: you may not want to proclaim hand crafted levels when they look procedurally generated anyway.

In fact this looks just like a roguelike but without any of the benefits? Might behoove you to just move in that direction.

PompiPompi

Man with forever hair
Patron
Developer
RPG Wokedex
On topic: you may not want to proclaim hand crafted levels when they look procedurally generated anyway.

In fact this looks just like a roguelike but without any of the benefits? Might behoove you to just move in that direction.
Procedural generated levels are more boring. First two levels might seem a bit generic, but even then, they have more thought in them than a procedural generated level.
The first level is a cave around an underground river, and the second level have all sort of unique places.
Edit: Also I tend to plan ahead the main walking path or main walking path and alternatives. While a procedural generated level might be more like a random maze with the exit just randomly stuck somewhere in the middle.

Last edited:

Void_Pickle

Educated
I can certainly understand where you are coming from, but if that's the case you may want to showcase it a bit better on the store page - right now it does not appear any different to me, at least.

DraQ

Arcane
When someone appears and wants to sell me their game I always ask for their pitch:
Give me a reason you can explain clearly enough for me to glean in about 1-2' of inattentive skimming why I should be interested in your game in particular as opposed to... well about anything else.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
PompiPompi I bought your game bc you seem like a nice person :) Also you made hand made levels, that needs to be supported even if I might never ever play the game itself

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom