Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Zer0wing

Cipher
DLSS and 2x resolution upscale is hell of a visual killer.

RepHope

Savant
explain right now why this isn't the box art instead of the generic garbage we got

T0uYVsx.png
Witcher 3. Terrible generic box art but that sure as shit didn’t hurt their sales, so they did it again with a yellow background this time.

Zer0wing

Cipher
Witcher 3. Terrible generic box art but that sure as shit didn’t hurt their sales, so they did it again with a yellow background this time.
At least white background color is neutral. Yellow is just eye killer.

Dodo1610

Arcane
My biggest worry about the game is the open world. As far as I know, the game's combat happens mostly indoors, the combat itself is basically a prettier version of Nu Deus Ex' combat. I do believe that this will be fun in the final product but what do players do in the city itself?

In the video, the narrator says that you shouldn't casually walkaround Pacifica which makes me wonder is there anything to do there. Or is the Open World just a filler for the building hubs in which the game itself takes places. In The Witcher 3, the world was also just a large filler for the story and side quest but I don't think players will accept that in a game that obviously wants to be a Cyberpunk GTA RPG.
And finally, I wonder if they will be the first ones who can make a financially successful modern immersive sim, since all the other games that went that road sold extremely poorly sadly.

NullFlow

Savant
explain right now why this isn't the box art instead of the generic garbage we got

T0uYVsx.png
In this world of video game focus-groups, studios and their publishers discovered that the most effective box art for AAA games was a guy with a gun staring menacingly back at the person holding the cover. It's the least offensive, safest path to take so any attempts to veer away from the orthodoxy gets punished with fewer sales apparently. Seriously, some of the magazine covers based off Cyberpunk I've seen are so much better, conveying much more about Night City and the general tone the game is seeking.

Drakron

Arcane
They didn't cut the number of cut scenes, they just make all of them in first person, which is worse comparing to a mix of first person and third person.

Not if they do them like e.g. in Half-Life and Half-Life 2...

Half-Life rarely taken player control, cutscenes were usually used to hide map transitions and other similar stuff, same technique used in Portal.
Also Half-Life didnt exactly allow for customization, we wouldnt be talking about this if they didnt decide to go "look at all this customization options we are offering" because neither Half-Life or Portal allowed customization, same with VtM:B ... its not about if it should or shouldnt be done, its a question of having a selling point (customization) being nearly completely pointless.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
That much is true. If anything having a big ol' yellow blob on the shelf might grab a few more eyes. But I find it distasteful. It's a piece of art, and it's a bad one. It's like if they made their company logo a picture of a festering boil. They're being judged on their aesthetic taste.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Who buys a game based on box art these days? Boxes don't even exist now. It doesn't matter, at all.

Consoles use disc drives, and you have actual game there unlike today on PC, you don't have to donwload 100gb of data, everything is on blu ray.

So box art is still relevant but not for PC.

Leorgrium

Educated
Multiplayer confirmed

Until now, the only thing we said about multi was that it was in R&D. As we’re getting closer to launching ‘single player’ Cyberpunk 2077 in Apr. 2020, we’d like to confirm that multiplayer's in the works!

The plan for now is to deliver Cyberpunk 2077 in April, then follow up with DLCs (free!) and single player content, and — once we’re done — invite you for some multiplayer action.

Last edited by a moderator:

Paul_cz

Arcane
I am sure singleplayer will not be affected negatively, but I am still disappointed that they even waste the manpower to develop multiplayer.

Curratum

At this point, I feel like adding some still-hazy form of multi is just a massive waste of resources.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Let's see if there is any word about downscaling
They talk about it at the start and say that it’s definitely true, but say that they don’t know why the devs opted to release the video with lower resolution textures at 1080p when they’ve personally seen the game run at much letter settings at e3.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Let's see if there is any word about downscaling
They talk about it at the start and say that it’s definitely true, but say that they don’t know why the devs opted to release the video with lower resolution textures at 1080p when they’ve personally seen the game run at much letter settings at e3.
Maybe they are fishing to check the response for the best console graphics they can pull off?

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Really dumb move to publish an upscaled 1080p video nd have everyone freak out. CDPR PR fail.

BTW is anything known about race selection in character creation? How will the interface function that allows you to choose a race for V?

Last edited:

Zer0wing

Cipher
I think CDPR just hate it's audience and thinks of any of us who have questions to them as animals and bydło and decided to share goods and keep communicating only with journos. And we must be happy with whatever this game developer comes next, usually borderline insulting. Their forum moderation policy indicates this, at least.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom